We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which way out of The Styx

NSW, Australia
Level Contributor
616 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Which way out of The Styx

I hope to visit the Styx Valley when touring Tassie next January. We will be staying a night at Maydena and will access via the Florentine Rd turn off from Gordon River Rd. Google maps seem to indicate that it is possible to follow Styx Rd back, via Old Styx Railway Rd to Gordon River Rd at Karanja, rather than returning to the Florentine Rd entrance after visiting the Big Tree walk. Is this a recommended way out. It's impossible to tell what standard the entire road might be. Also, references in an old post talk about a walk to Gandalf's staff or similar. Is this still to be found? Any other suggestions while in The Styx much appreciated?

Prestige Leisure Tours
Private Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Sightseeing Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Food Tours
Wineglass Bay Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Tassie Tours Tasmania
Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Day Trips, Nature & Wildlife Tours
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
28,566 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which way out of The Styx

The way I get to the Big Tree is by going to the turnoff just past Maydeena that you mention. It's slightly tricky because, although the Styx is south (left) off the Gordon Road, you turn right toward Florentine, then quickly double back under the road through a log-truck tunnel. It's a good dirt road all the way to the big tree. There's parking spaces beside the road and a toilet and a good wooden walk-way to the Big Tree. The Bigger Tree is a bit more of a hike beyond the Big Tree.

There are logging tracks all through the forest there and I suspect the Styx Road that heads back to Karanja is one of them. Certainly a good looking dirt road heads beyond the Big Tree, but I've not followed it to see where it goes.

Best of luck.

Luigi

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
28,566 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which way out of The Styx

Re Gandalf's staff: It's still there. This page talks about how to find it. wilderness.org.au/campaigns/…

Note that the map on that link shows the road you mentioned earlier as having two locked gates on it. This is consistent with Tas Forestry's motto that "Forest Are For Everyone With a Key".

Luigi

NSW, Australia
Level Contributor
616 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which way out of The Styx

Thanks Luigi - that last link was great, and I hadn't come across it before.

Looks like backtracking is the only way out! I'm a little thrown by all the warnings regarding logging trucks. As we will be visiting mid-week, is this something to be concerned about? Should we expect to meet them around blind corners, taking up all of the road?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
28,566 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which way out of The Styx

Personally, I've never had any problem with log trucks. IMO, their drivers obey the road rules and drive within the limits of the roads and their vehicles. However, I have been forced off the road by idiots in 4WD recreational vehicles, driving too fast on the wrong side of dirt roads.

The dirt road from the Gordon Road to the Big Tree is a good, two-lane road. Drive at a safe speed on your side of the road and you'll be OK.

Luigi

NSW, Australia
Level Contributor
616 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which way out of The Styx

Thanks for the reassurance Luigi. Sounds fine .... and we'll be sure to watch out for the recreational 4 - wheel drives!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which way out of The Styx

We are planning to head to styx valley on thursday and we have hired a 6 berth campervan to get around. Im a litle concerned about the roads, but I assume if the logging trucks can get down there, then so can we?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
28,566 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which way out of The Styx

Yes, you'll be OK at least as far as the Big Tree.

Luigi

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which way out of The Styx

Thanks so much for the reassurance!

Kyogle, Australia
Level Contributor
600 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which way out of The Styx

Hi all,

the roads out that way are all fine. We did that area back in April. We stayed at the Giant Table and cottages. Drove a long way out to the Scotts Peak dam but even though the day was drizzling, it was magnificent countryside and very remote, but interesting area. A must see very near Maydena is the Junee Cave.(just ask any of the locals- if you are game enough). After a shortish walk, from the carpark area you come the end of the trail where there is a cavern where the water is just pouring out. Apparently is goes underground on the other side of the mountain, and comes out here. It is amazing and worth the walk.

As we had visited this area some 10 years ago, and this time had 2 other couples with us, we wanted to revisit the Tolkien walk area. VERY HARD TO FIND! But as we had been there before we knew where to go. There are NO sign posts, we just remembered where we had to stopped the car, and remembered walking back down the road about 50metres and scramble up the roadside edge where there appeared to be a footpath with a fallen over hand railling, which was marked by a small pink piece of plastic. Area is very pretty but all the lovely wooden bridges, Tolkein like features etc from 10 yrs ago are very deteriated as no one is looking after the walk any more. Depending on your expertise of bush walking, it would be easy to get lost along this walk as alot of the pink markers tied to trees etc have rotted away.

We all obviously wondered around the bush for some time enjoying the atmosphere and finally came across a path which we remembered led to a waterfall, but it was such a trek down hill and a very muddy path on this day, that only the guys ventured ahead. Perhaps if I was you, you may wish to rethink visiting this walk, but again ask the locals when you get there.

Just food for thought for you.

Cheers

NSW, Australia
Level Contributor
616 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which way out of The Styx

Flossy - you have anticipated one of my next in depth questions .... about Junee Caves. It looks like you continue on down the road past Giants Table cottages. Is the car park off that road?

I will also heed your warnings re getting lost looking for the Tolkein area.

Did you take up the dinner option at Giants Table?

What about the Maydena hub activities? Did you try the pedal railrider thing (which at $25 each seems a bit expensive) or the Eagles Eyrie, while you were in the area?

Edited: 31 August 2010, 22:49