We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Launceston to Hobart via Cradle Mountain itinerary

Sydney
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Launceston to Hobart via Cradle Mountain itinerary

Hello,

My husband and I, plus our 2.5 year old daughter are traveling to Tasmania in mid February with the following itinerary in mind:

Day 1 Arrive in Launceston at night

Day 2 Launceston - Cataract Gorge and city

Day 3 Drive to Cradle Mountain - explore area

Day 4 Cradle Mountain - Dove Lake or Crater Lake walk

Day 5 Drive to Hobart (overnight stop?)

Day 6 Hobart

Day 7 Hobart

Day 8 Salamanca Markets - Leave Hobart at night

Comments on our itinerary are most welcome.

We are trying to make this trip a relaxing one (if that is ever possible haha) so we try not to drive everyday, and we're hoping to limit driving to 3 hours max.

Should we stay overnight somewhere between Cradle Mountain and Hobart or should we just make it a leisurely whole day drive via Midland Highway?

Do you have any suggestions on where to stay for the overnight stop? How about somewhere near Mount Field National Park so we can see Russell Falls? We love the outdoors and beautiful sceneries.

Thanks for your help.

Sydney
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Launceston to Hobart via Cradle Mountain itinerary

We are also considering going via Queenstown from Cradle Mountain to Hobart. Lake St. Clair looks interesting, but maybe the drive isn't worth it if we're skipping other nice places in the West Coast like Strahan?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,718 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Launceston to Hobart via Cradle Mountain itinerary

Matakaw, the itinerary is a good one and is easily doable if you head from Cradle Mountain to Deloraine and then south down the Bass and Midland Highways to Hobart. It is more difficult if you travel via Queenstown.

If you take the Midland Highway, it'll take about 4.5 hours driving to Hobart, so if you want to limit it to 3 hours each day, you'll need to stop halfway.

Ross is about halfway and is a picturesque convict-era town. Oatlands is also quite beautiful and is worth a stop now that the old windmill is working again.

It would also take about 5 hours hours to travel from Cradle to Mount Field, so that detour might be something to do on the second day of driving toward Hobart, too.

The route from Cradle to Hobart via Queenstown is about 6 hours and is a very strenuous drive from Queenstown on to Derwent Bridge. You could go that way, but you need to be aware that it will be more time-consuming.

Hope this helps,

Luigi

PS. Thanks for avoiding the "Me and my Husband" solecism. A very refreshing change. :)

Australia
Level Contributor
375 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Launceston to Hobart via Cradle Mountain itinerary

Luigi - travel advice and correct grammar! How delightful!

Sydney
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Launceston to Hobart via Cradle Mountain itinerary

Thanks for the advice. We decided to just drive straight from Cradle Mountain to Hobart so we can spend three nights there. I have booked all our accommodation in Launceston, Cradle Mountain and Hobart so I'm pretty happy ;)

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,718 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Launceston to Hobart via Cradle Mountain itinerary

Enjoy your trip. :)

Luigi

6. Re: Launceston to Hobart via Cradle Mountain itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2012, 07:18