We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I do the Spirit of Tasmania?

Singapore
Level Contributor
48 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Should I do the Spirit of Tasmania?

I will be bringing the 2 mothers together with my wife from Singapore to Tasmania (for the first time). I am thinking of flying in from Melbourne with Jetstar and going back to Melbourne on a cruise.

After reading so many unpleasant reviews, can someone tell me that it is alright for me to go on the Spirit of Tasmania with luggages and 2 old ladies and wife. I am returning the rental car at Devonport.

Will the check-in procedure be like taking a flight? check in, dump the luggage and it will be transfered to the cabin.

I read you need to make a dash for the restaurant, so will I make it there with my charges and is the buffet really that bad?

Is it very crowded like a mad house?

How is the crowd and sea condition like in mid May?

Thanks.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I do the Spirit of Tasmania?

Just my opinion, I always thought it was more a good way of taking your own vehicle over than a "cruise" as such. Not sure what you are anticipating?

And my big concern was seasickness (speaking as someone who's gone green on the Manly ferry!), so I guess maybe that's something else to think about, are any of you prone to seasickness?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,121 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I do the Spirit of Tasmania?

You can arrange to return the car at the ferry passenger terminal at East Devonport.

It's a nice, big ferry; rather than being a cruise ship.

You will have to look after your own baggage. There's an escalator from dock level up to deck 7 where all the facilities are. Most of the cabins are on deck 8. There are several lifts from deck 7 to deck 8.

The restaurant (called "Leatherwood") is good and you do need to hurry to book it. Happily, it's virtually at the top of the escalator and people without cars get to board first. In my opinion, the restaurant is good enough to be a bench-mark against which all Tasmanian restaurants can be judged. I like it. :)

The cafeteria (called "The Captain's Table" through a quirk of Tasmanian humour) has improved somewhat in recent months and is OK if you stick to the roast joined-up meat and avoid the stews which are laced with toxic levels of salt. I don't like it. :(

The restaurant is closed for breakfast and the cafeteria breakfast is inedible. I'd wait until getting off the ferry.

It won't be too crowded in May. Whether it is a pleasant trip depends a lot on the weather. The ferry sails more slowly once the summer season ends (11 hours for the trip, rather than 9) and the slower speed is more comfortable. I rarely have a bad trip and I use it often.

www.spiritoftasmania.com.au

Luigi

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I do the Spirit of Tasmania?

We have done the trip in May.From Melbourne we literally had to tie ourselves in our bunks.there was no thought of going to the restaurant.

Coming back it was like a millpond,virtually no swell.

So whether it will be rough or smooth-just depends on the weather.

White Beach...
Destination Expert
for Tasmania
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I do the Spirit of Tasmania?

I'd agree with Luigi about the food and the fact that it is really ferry not a cruise. I enjoy it though! One thing to think about is the cabin arrangements if you go at night. You can get 4 berth cabins but they would be pretty small for your party and they are 2 sets of bunk beds. It can get pretty expensive if you end up taking 2 cabins but that would be the better option if sailing at night.

Singapore
Level Contributor
48 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I do the Spirit of Tasmania?

Thanks for the advices and comments. I have decided to take the flight both ways since it will be quite a handful to take care with 2 mothers and 3 luggages. I will certainly go for the ferry when I visit again with just my wife.

6. Re: Should I do the Spirit of Tasmania?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 09:25