We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days in Tasmania, best itinerary

Ourimbah, NSW...
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
5 days in Tasmania, best itinerary

My husband and I would like to visit Tasmania for the first time in June over the long weekend but are unsure what to visit from Thursday until Monday. Flying into Hobart we thought we could go to Port Arthur the next day, staying overnight (ghost tour). But where to afterwards? Launceston? or just stick around Hobart? We love museums, wine and food and short walks (weather should be quite cold by then). We enjoy going for a drive but I suppose it also depends on the weather. Should we arrive in Hobart and try to fly out of Launceston? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Tasmania
Tasmania
Australia
Hobart
Hobart
Greater Hobart, Australia
Port Arthur
Port Arthur
Tasmania, Australia
Launceston
Launceston
Tasmania, Australia
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,906 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days in Tasmania, best itinerary

I think I'd just stick around Hobart. You should stay there for Salamanca markets on Saturday anyway, so the rest of the weekend really doesn't give you time to travel too far.

There's plenty to do around Hobart. Take a look at my Top 10 Must Sees for Hobart here: tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-i23142-Luigi…

Hope this helps,

Luigi

Mentioned in this post
Hobart
Hobart
Salamanca Inn
Salamanca Inn
676 Reviews
Hobart, Australia
Ourimbah, NSW...
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days in Tasmania, best itinerary

Hi Luigi

Thank you for your advice. I have checked out your list and there is plenty to do in Hobart, I look really forward to our visit. Thanks for your help.

Cheers, Anita

Mentioned in this post
Hobart
Hobart
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,906 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days in Tasmania, best itinerary

And my "Secret Places" list is here: tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-i20652-Unusu…

Shhhhhhh!!!!!

Luigi

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
192 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days in Tasmania, best itinerary

hi i went to tassie last april on a 5 day tour. i found there wasnt much to do in hobart. heres what we did:

day1: flew in to launceston, hired a car and stayed in tamar valley resort, drove up north to beauty point. explored launceston a bit.

day2 & 3: we started driving along the east coast to frecynet island n stayed over night(its a do not miss location). visited wine glass bay n seven mile beach on the next day on our way to hobart. we made it to hobart on the 3rd night!

day4: port arthur, a 3-h eco cruise out of port arthur was beautiful.

day5: visited mount wellington and flew out of Hobart.:-)

Mentioned in this post
Hobart
Hobart
Tuggeranong...
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
17,583 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 days in Tasmania, best itinerary

>>i went to tassie last april on a 5 day tour. i found there wasnt much to do in hobart.<<

We spent about five days in Hobart at the beginning and end of our trip and found lots to do. Not disagreeing, just goes to show different things suit different people. Wonder if we'll hear how the OP's visit went?

Edited: 28 May 2011, 10:47
Mentioned in this post
Hobart
Hobart
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
192 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 days in Tasmania, best itinerary

I only meant Hobart is just another city. But Tasmania has a lot more to offer in terms of natural beauty n related activities.

Hope you get my point! ta

Mentioned in this post
Hobart
Hobart
Tasmania
Tasmania
Australia
Tuggeranong...
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
17,583 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 days in Tasmania, best itinerary

>>I only meant Hobart is just another city. But Tasmania has a lot more to offer in terms of natural beauty n related activities.

Hope you get my point! ta<<

I'm sorry but actually I didn't. The OP had already been told there's plenty to do, with information to back that up. The OP can decide whether what is available in Hobart is of interest to them or not. Offering an alternative view or alternative options can be very valuable. But I didn't feel that providing the unnecessarily negative contradiction >>i found there wasnt much to do in hobart<< added anything to the thread, though it might well be a valid reflection of *your* experience. Unfortunately sometimes people take one person's experience or opinion and carry it with them as fact, so while I now get what you're saying, you never know, someone out there might decide Hobart isn't worth visiting because they remember someone on Trip Advisor advising *there wasnt much to do*. What could be useful is to suggest that rather than restricting the visit to a city, "Tasmania has a lot more to offer in terms of natural beauty [and] related activities" and provide some options that suit the the OP's criteria. Given the timeframe and stated interest in museums and wine and food, I agree with Luigi's advice to stick around Hobart. With the proximity of Mount Wellington, the Tasman Peninsula, etc I'm sure the OP will have the opportunity to appreciate Tasmania's natural beauty as well as the attractions of its lovely major city should they wish.

Mentioned in this post
Hobart
Hobart
Tasmania
Tasmania
Australia
Mount Wellington
Mount Wellington
6,423 Reviews
Hobart, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
192 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 days in Tasmania, best itinerary

TA is a place where people hope to get some advice from others who know or have had experience with a particular place or activity! people will have different opinion on diff matters n what not. this does nt necessarily mean someone's right n others r wrong. we are adults, we probably can make our choices on what to take in. I agree with Luigi that you can only do so much in 5 days n sticking around hobart may be an option. i have been to Tassie quite a few times & in my opinion Hobart did not have a lot to offer. i might be wrong! but its just my opinion. there are numerous reviews on things to do in Hobart. so no one should be driven by any traveler's personal opinion!

anyway. i am neither trying to benefit anybody from this nor i have anything against Hobart!

Mentioned in this post
Hobart
Hobart
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,906 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 days in Tasmania, best itinerary

Of course there's merit in every opinion, SadzSydney!!

What I try to do is fit my answer to the question asked and any information given by the Original Poster.

In this case, the OP is flying into Hobart, the first day is taken care of with Port Arthur (which I think is Tassie's premier attraction) and Hobart seemed already to be the focus. I think Salamanca on Saturday is a "must do" also, and I was a bit reluctant to suggest a trip to the east coast beaches as a fun-filled, mid-winter frolic.

And I think there's lots to do in and around Hobart. :)

Vive la difference!

Luigi

Mentioned in this post
Hobart
Hobart
Port Arthur
Port Arthur
Tasmania, Australia
Salamanca Inn
Salamanca Inn
676 Reviews
Hobart, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
192 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 days in Tasmania, best itinerary

hi Luigi, i dont wanna disagree to an expert opinion! i've been benefited by your advice in the past & am grateful to all TA contributors! in return i wanted to share my experience too! anyways. I think we all should appreciate everyone's voluntary contribution! peace! :-)

ta