We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Launceston to Launceston with my mum

Hervey Bay
Level Contributor
128 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling from Launceston to Launceston with my mum

Hi

Any ideas for a trip to Launceston, arrive on a Thursday and depart the following Saturday from Launceston,10 nights, would like to be in Hobart the second night to go to Salamanca markets on the Saturday, would be hiring a car i think. My mother of 72 has never been to Tassie before so i thought i would take her, I travelled with my family 6 years ago. Any new sites or places of interest ?? Is it advisable to book all accommodation? We are going the towards the end of November.

Mentioned in this post
Launceston
Launceston
Tasmania, Australia
Hobart
Hobart
Greater Hobart, Australia
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,239 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from Launceston to Launceston with my mum

Where you should go depends only on what you're interested in as in 10 nights you can do a full circle around the island if you wish. And that fits in nicely with arrival and departure from Launceston. So that's an option, or you could just divide your time between Launceston and Hobart and stay there.

You really need to rent a car, I think.

Anyway, as you need to be in Hobart a couple of days after arrival, I'd set off down the Midland Highway through Longford, Perth, Campbelltown, Ross and Oatlands. Take a look at Woolmers and/or Brickendon near Longford and Callington Mill at Oatlands is a must. It woukldn't have been working when you were last here but is a gem now that the sails are up and it's grinding flour.

Go via Bonorong wildlife park near Brighton on the way, too.

Stray in Hobart for a few days and pick some things to do from the Top Questions FAQs on the Hobart forum page. You could easily spend three or four days there.

A trip to Port Arthur is a must for a first-timer to Tassie and the Tasman Peninsula itself is worth a day or two. Visit the Officers' Quarters and Dogline at Eaglehawk Neck, The Coal Mines and maybe take a fast boat cruise around the peninsula. Doo Town is an oddity that you may have visited on your last trip and is, at least, free.

From Port Arthur, you could head up the east coast via Freycinet and the Bay of Fires, then west through Scottsdale and Bridestowe Lavender (another must for first-time Mum and it's in flower in November) and back to Launceston, then basing yourself there for a few days.

There are plenty of things to do on the east and north east coast. Just yell if you need pointers.

Again, take a look at the Top 10 for the Tamar Valley on the Launceston Top Question FAQs.

You should book accommodation for Hobart on a Friday night before Salamanca Markets, otherwise you would be able to get motel-style accommodation easily without booking. Or lash out and take a browse through the B&B accommodation choices in the Accommodation:Hotels tab on the left of each destination's forum page.

Hope this helps,

Luigi

Mentioned in this post
Launceston
Launceston
Tasmania, Australia
Hobart
Hobart
Port Arthur
Port Arthur
Tasmania, Australia
The Neck
The Neck
440 Reviews
Bruny Island, Australia
Freycinet
Freycinet
Tasmania, Australia
The Tamar Valley
The Tamar Valley
601 Reviews
Launceston, Australia
Hervey Bay
Level Contributor
128 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from Launceston to Launceston with my mum

Thanks Luigi for your help, this sounds like a good plan. I did enjoy the west coast last time we visited, but feel we may be rushing things a little if we fit this in too. With regards to accommodation, do you feel the prices are higher if you dont book in advance.

We would like to do maybe a day trip to Cradle mountain if the weather is feasable? Do you think this is doable in one day from Launceston? Am enjoying reading all the reports and forums on TA.

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Cradle Mountain
Cradle Mountain
815 Reviews
Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park, Australia
Launceston
Launceston
Tasmania, Australia
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,239 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from Launceston to Launceston with my mum

My feeling was that the drive from Hobart to Strahan would be very long for a 72 year old and it's only worthwhile, IMO, if you have at least two days to stay at Strahan.

You can get from Launceston to Cradle and back in a day, but it's about 2.5 hours driving each way.

Luigi

Mentioned in this post
Hobart
Hobart
Strahan
Strahan
Tasmania, Australia
Launceston
Launceston
Tasmania, Australia
Hervey Bay
Level Contributor
128 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from Launceston to Launceston with my mum

Thanks so much for your thoughts. Do we need to book B & B's in advance or just turn up on the day. We are travelling last week in November and 1st week in December and is this a busy tourist time for Tassie?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,239 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling from Launceston to Launceston with my mum

The tourist season starts building up from the end of September and reaches its peak in January/February. You should be able to find a B&B - but not necessarily your first choice B&B - without booking in most places.

I have already talked about booking in Hobart on a Friday night.

Luigi

Mentioned in this post
Hobart
Hobart
Hervey Bay
Level Contributor
128 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling from Launceston to Launceston with my mum

Thanks Luigi,

Well i have come to some sort of itinerary:

Day 1: arrive at Launceston Airport at 4.20pm- stay in Launceston for the night

Day 2: drive down through Oatlands, Ross etc and see all the highlights, staying then in Hobart for 3 nights, this would befor the markets, maybe Louisa's walk, Mt Wellington etc

Day 5: Monday drive down to Port Arthur and see all the sights, staying the night around this area

Day 5: Heading off and overnighting at Swansea, visiting all the sights around Bicheno etc

Day 6: Not sure whether after visiting the East Coast to stay at Bridport or St Helens or just head straight to Launceston??? any ideas

Day 7: Will then see all the sights around Launceston, Tamar Valley and maybe vist Beaconsfield We will stay 2 nights here.

Day 10: departing Launceston Airport 4.50pm, so should fit in some more sight seeing before heading to the Airport.

Enjoying all the trip reports etc on this site, very helpful and have mostly narrowed down the B and B's, not booked yet, but the reviews have helped heaps.

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Launceston
Launceston
Tasmania, Australia
Hobart
Hobart
Mount Wellington
Mount Wellington
6,281 Reviews
Hobart, Australia
Port Arthur
Port Arthur
Tasmania, Australia
Swansea
Swansea
Tasmania, Australia
Bicheno
Bicheno
Tasmania, Australia
Bridport
Bridport
Tasmania, Australia
St Helens
St Helens
Tasmania, Australia
Tamar Valley
Tamar Valley
Tasmania, Australia
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,239 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling from Launceston to Launceston with my mum

That looks like a good plan to me.

The night after your Swansea stop, you would have no difficulty getting to St Helens or even to Bridport, although Bridport is a bit of a detour. Take a look at this page which has links to some of the things to see beyond St Mary's, through St Helens and on through Scottsdale to Launceston. tripadvisor.com.au/…27018843

This place at Branxholm gets good reviews and is on the direct road from St Helens to Launceston: http://www.tindragontrailcottages.com.au/

Luigi

Mentioned in this post
Swansea
Swansea
Tasmania, Australia
St Helens
St Helens
Tasmania, Australia
Bridport
Bridport
Tasmania, Australia
Launceston
Launceston
Tasmania, Australia
Hervey Bay
Level Contributor
128 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling from Launceston to Launceston with my mum

Thanks Luigi for all your help.

Which B and B's do you recommend in Hobart and Launceston, there are so many to choose from.

Are there are close to Salamanca Market area?

Thanks again, hope you havn't frozen over yet in Tassie, hear its been very cold!

Mentioned in this post
Hobart
Hobart
Launceston
Launceston
Tasmania, Australia
Salamanca Market
Salamanca Market
3,595 Reviews
Hobart, Australia
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,239 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling from Launceston to Launceston with my mum

Hobart B&Bs are listed here: tripadvisor.com.au/Hotels-g255097-c2-Hobart_…

To be near Salamanca, you should look for somewhere in Battery Point, like Gattonside.

Launceston B&Bs are here: tripadvisor.com.au/Hotels-g255344-c2-Launces…

I think that Kurrajong is the best, professionally run B&B. Ashton Gate is also near the city, as is Hi George which is a bit lower priced. The other two in the top 5 (Werona and Trevallyn) are a goodly walk away from the city, but are also good.

Yes, it is seriously cold here at the moment. Best snow on the mountains for a decade. :)

Luigi

Mentioned in this post
Hobart
Hobart
Battery Point Sculpture Trail
Battery Point Sculpture...
1,471 Reviews
Hobart, Australia
Launceston
Launceston
Tasmania, Australia
Hervey Bay
Level Contributor
128 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling from Launceston to Launceston with my mum

Hi there again,

Has anyone stayed at Warehaus 58 in west Hobart, a self contained apartment on Stayz?

Just curious with reviews on this regarding location etc

Thanks again for all your help.

Cheers