We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tasmania

Singapore
Level Contributor
127 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Tasmania

Hi!

Planning a 10d9n trip with kids(8-11y.o) and elderly.

Tentative traveling date will be last two weeks of December.

Tentative itinery

Launceston- Cataract Gorge,hang gliding, Nabola lavender

Stanley- Nut, cruise to see seal

Cradle Mt & Lake St Clair

Queenstown-mining

Hobart- Port Arthur, Mt Wellington, Salamanca mkt,Hasting cave

Is searching for accommodation as it will be a peak period.

Any suggestions on accommodation , the 'must-see', 'must-do', 'must-try'?

Thank you.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,899 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tasmania

There are Top 10 Must See lists in the Top Questuions on the Tasmania, Hobart and Launceston forum pages, but I notice that you have selected some very worthwhile activities already.

You shouldn't have any difficulty finding accommodation in Launceston or anywhere else around the state at this time, except perhaps for Cradle Mountain and Hobart. Hobart in particular will be difficult to find accommodation in the last week of the year.

Take a look at www.wotif.com for places in Hobart. For everywhere else, you should be able to search through the Accommodation:Hotels tab on the left hand side of the page for each destination you are going to. In Cradle Moyuntain, Highlanders Cottages is good; Discovery Holiday Park is cheapest but still OK.

Hope this helps get you started,

Luigi

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
85 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tasmania

Freycinet- Wine Glass Bay a must!

Hastings Cave was fantastic- kids will love it!

Enjoy

Kitty

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
11,858 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tasmania

Tasmania is an easy and affordable place to travel, and you won't be disappointed in what ever you see.

A must with children - Living in Tasmania, when we have relatives and friends visist we always take them to Trowunna Wildlife Park, near Mole Creek, its not the prettiest wildlife park, but probably the only wildlife park in Tasmania that will let you cuddle a wombat and actaully pat a Tassie Devil. All the people we take, once they interact with these creatures they forget about rougher surrounds. your children will love it, I know it makes the adults go ooh aaagh!

You might want to have a look at these sites -

tasmaniatopten.com/lists/tasmanian_attractio…

http://www.trowunna.com.au/

http://seetasmaniapass.iventurecard.com/

Like Luigi said, if you don't prebook accommodation you're better to use the websites

Enjoy Tassie

Rober

Singapore
Level Contributor
127 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tasmania

Great! My kids can't wait to cuddle and pose with the wombat once again.

Re:- iventurecard.

Can I purchase it upon arrival at Lauceston or it is better to pre-order?

It seems a good deal

Also, I am just wondering will buying such card give us 'less priority ', ie. If I would to take the free seal cruise, I might be able to enjoy since it is the peak holidays season?

Thanks!

Any further info greatly appreciated.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,899 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tasmania

You should decide what you want to see and do and then work out whether the card is any good for that. Personally, I can't see how another middleman getting his cut is going to make it better for the consumer. But hey! you might be satisfied with those attractions!!

Luigi

Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tasmania

have done a couple of trips to tassie with kids similar age - they loved hollybank treetop adventures, tasmazia, anything in a jet boat (bruny island cruises also see seals, dolphins etc or jet boat ride up the king river), walking at cradle mountain (plenty of wildlife without having to pay), snow on mt wellington, hastings caves and thermal pools, port arthur, penguins at bicheno, sailing on the lady nelson on the derwent river, strawberry picking & tarkine forest adventures (adults not so impressed, but kids loved it!), chairlift down the nut at stanley and definitely a vist to the reliquaire shop in latrobe.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,957 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tasmania

Hi,

Your itinerary looks great.

Freycinet- Wine Glass Bay - Gorgeous.

Cradle Mountain - a " Must Do"

Port Arthur - fascinating & interesting.

Bruny Island - cruise tour. - wildlife.

Melbourne, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Tasmania

Great itinerary! I suggest that you should go visit the museum and art galleries as well as wildlife watching. I think the kids will enjoy that. It's better if you would visit http://www.discovertasmania.com/ because they really have a good list of things to do there.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,899 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tasmania

The OP travelled in December.

Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tasmania

Hi I would suggest while on the west coast of tas that queenstown is a good place to base you and your family. You will save a packet on accomodation, many great walks of various levels, some very very cool art galleries. A special museum inear the town centre and Trip Advisors top rated Tasmanian Restaurant is located only 8-10 mins out of town up in the mountains,its called the Linda Valley C afe and there is also a great underground mining tour that is quite unique as the mine is still operational. You can also catch the train from queenstown.

A must visit is the Wall in the Wilderness located in derwent bridge more or less half way between hobart and queenstown. If your considering this as part of your tassie experience try to break the journey up with a night in derwent bridge, bronte park or up in the great lakes if you want to get a little more of the beaten track.

On the map it dosent look so far but it takes a while given you are driving through mountains etc and you will only manage a moderate average speed, therefore it takes longer than most people realise.

Also there is a fantastic lake just outside of queenstown, trout fishing, boating three camp sites and a fantastic place for a refreshing swim, (i would swim there way before i would swim in the harbour at strahan after 100 years of mine waste and 1000"s of tons of salmon poo and food its just not very clean)

have a great time on the west

regards DRCHEV