We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Xmas/New Year 2011/12

melbourne
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary Xmas/New Year 2011/12

We are planning our trip to Tassie for Xmas & New year. We will be travelling by boat & plane but would like some feeback on what our itinerary looks like. There will be a family - 2 adults and 2 children aged 7 & 5. We will have all our camping gear with us but will break it up with other accomodation also.

Arrive Devonport morning of 28th, plane lands 11am in Launceston. Drive down to Hobart. Accom already organised for Hobart.

28/29/30/31 Dec - in Hobart. Plan on spending some time watching the Sydney to Hobart boats coming in, doing the Taste of Tassie festival & possibly a day trip somewhere on the 31st. I have done Port Arthur before and we're not too fussed if we do it again or not. Our main attraction to being in Hobart at this time of year is watching the boats come in.

1st Jan - travel to Strahan. Stay in Strahan 1st, 2nd, 3rd of Jan. We would like to do the Railway and the river cruise - hence why the 3 nights there.

4th Jan - travel to Arthur Pieman & complete the Sandy Cape Track. Plan on 2 nights here.

6th Jan - cradle mountain.

7th Jan - cradle mountain to Launceston flight at lunch time and then Devonport for boat at night.

Basically by staying in Hobart for the length of time we have, we've effectively cut out doing any of the east coast. We wanted to stay in Hobart for New Years with our friends but could be persuaded if the East Coast is so awesome that we cannot miss it!!!

Does anyone have any recommendations for accomodation in Strahan - we could possibly be travelling with another family of 5 so effectively there would be 9 of us in total.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Jo in Melb

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,325 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Xmas/New Year 2011/12

I think you've got a good family holiday plan there. Hobart is at its best in that week between Christmas and New Year and you'll enjoy it.

Take a look at Tahune Airwalk for a day out with the kids. They'll love it.

The east coast will be very crowded at that time and unless you have accommodation booked it will be getting difficult by now.

Take a look at the Top Questions on the Hobart forum page for ideas on things to do and stick with Hobart, I think.

Luigi

melbourne
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Xmas/New Year 2011/12

Thanks Luigi.

Any recommendations for accom either at Strahan or Cradle Mountain?? Thanks for Tahune airwalk suggestion, will def put it on the possibilities list!

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,325 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Xmas/New Year 2011/12

Strahan is pretty difficult as most of the places near the water are all part of the Federal Hotels Strahan Village empire. Take a look at Risby Cove. I've stayed at Aldemere up the hill and it would suit a family.

Highlanders Cabins would be my pick at Cradle. Lots of animals around you in the morning.

Luigi

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,071 posts
1,390 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Xmas/New Year 2011/12

Hi joinmelb

Fab watching the Sydney to Hobart race results - lucky you !! ....

We adore Cradle Mountain - in summer you will be able to do all the walks. I highly recommend you stay at Cradle mountain Lodge - & taste their fab food too.

Its only just 2 hours scenic drive from Launceston. The kids will love exploring all thew little paths & avenues from the lodge.

have fun !

kyogle, nsw
Level Contributor
600 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Xmas/New Year 2011/12

Just some suggestions for you to check out re accommodation. Near the entrance to Cradle we have stayed at Cosy Cabins- Discovery Holiday park in a cabin. Very reasonable for families but you need to take all your own food or eat at the other lodges etc nearby. Also at Strahan we were very fortunate with 6 adults to find a 4 bedroom house -titled "Camellia cottage"(original dwelling) at the Strahan Holiday Park. In April 2010 we paid $160pn, but at Xmas the price would be higher.

Cheers

melbourne
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Xmas/New Year 2011/12

Thanks for all the help so far.

We have booked some accom but have not finalised what we'd like to do in Hobart itself. We'll be arriving sometime on the 28th and have the remainder of that day, 29th, 30th, 31st and then depart on the 1st or 2nd for Strahan. In Strahan we'll be doing both the west coast wilderness railway as well as one of the boat cruises - on sep days. Also will spend a day 4wding from Strahan but will still stay in Strahan for that night. Have had to cancel doing the Arthur Pieman 4wd track as you cannot do it with only one car!! :-(

In Hobart we want to see the boats come in, and do some of the Taste of Tassie. Also on the 30th we have planned a day trip 4wding to Saw Back Range Track with friends. So basically leaves a few days of things to see and do.

Luigi: Would you still recommend Tahune Airwalk if we'll be doing a fair amount of 4wding and getting into the forests (on tracks obviously)???

Port Arthur is a possibility for a day trip, think the 7 year old would love it not sure about the 5 year old though.

Bonorong wildlife centre will also probably be an attraction for the kids whilst in Hobart. Thoughts/ideas please??

Taste of Tassie - would you combine this with watching the boats come in for an afternoon or is it something that needs a whole day to wander around - kids are generally pretty good at wineries & markets as long as they occasionally get to try some food!! Thoughts or ideas from those that have been????

Flossy52 - thanks for suggesting Camellia Cottage - its already booked out so we've decided to camp whilst in strahan - makes it a lot easier and our friends are just going to book a cabin!

Thanks in advance,

Jo in Melb

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,325 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Xmas/New Year 2011/12

I think the kids will really enjoy Tahune Airwalk. It might be a good respite from sitting in the car. :)

I think you could easily do the Taste while waiting for boats to arrive. It's a foody thing as much as a wine thing.

IMO Port Arthur is still Tassie's top attraction and is worth the drive.

And Bonorong is excellent. It's a "must do" with kids.

Level Contributor
25 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary Xmas/New Year 2011/12

Have just returned from Tassie and loved it, though I would have to say Port Arthur was what I enjoyed the least. I don't think it would have a great appeal to 5 and 7 year olds. Although I did see a trip where you went from Hobart by boat to Port Arthur had the rest of the day in Port Arthur and then I think returned by coach to Hobart. Sorry but I can't remember who did the trip but you should find it with google. When I saw it I thought at the time it would have been a great boat trip down and gorgeous scenery and the kids would enjoy the variety plus you would probably see some of the yachts from the boat as well.

Enjoy!

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,325 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary Xmas/New Year 2011/12

I think this is the only cruise TO Port Arthur from Hobart: derwentrivercruises.com.au/cruise-portarthur…

Two companies offer cruises in a fast boat around the Tasman Peninsula as part of a bus tour to Port Arthur:

http://www.tasmanadventurecruises.com.au/

http://www.tasmancruises.com.au/

Luigi

10. Re: Itinerary Xmas/New Year 2011/12

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 04:16