We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 weeks in tasmania

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
540 posts
Save Topic
4 weeks in tasmania

Hi,

Hi

I planning to go to Tasmania in February.

Could I do the following in 3/4 weeks taking travel and things like that into account. Please tell if I'm missing something or should delete something to

replace it with something else. Perhaps someone knows how I should order them location wise.

Salamanca merket

Port Arthur

Freycinet national park

Corinna

Gordon river cruise

Cradle mountain lake St Clair national park

Franklin River

Thanks

Salamanca Market

Mentioned in this post
Port Arthur
Port Arthur
Tasmania, Australia
Freycinet
Freycinet
Tasmania, Australia
Corinna
Corinna
Tasmania, Australia
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,253 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 weeks in tasmania

You will easily be able to see the whole island in three to four weeks - assuming that you are driving yourself. Public transport is not good in Tasmania.

Take a look at this page for some guidance on touring by car. There's a link on the page to a downloadable map as well. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255096-c119432/Tasma…

The page is from one of the Top Questions on the upper right of this page. It's worthwhile having a browse through the other Top Questions, and also the ones on the Hobart, Launceston, Burnie and Strahan forum pages.

Hope this helps get you started,

Luigi

Mentioned in this post
Launceston
Launceston
Tasmania, Australia
Burnie
Burnie
Tasmania, Australia
Strahan
Strahan
Tasmania, Australia
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
540 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 weeks in tasmania

Ok, I won't have a car but might just maybe do day tours. I wonder would it work out cheaper to rent a car than do tours of these places?

I was thinking maybe do these first as there near enough to each other

Salamanca merket

Port Arthur

Freycinet national park

Then do these

Corinna

Gordon river cruise

Cradle mountain lake St Clair national park

Franklin River

Mentioned in this post
Port Arthur
Port Arthur
Tasmania, Australia
Freycinet
Freycinet
Tasmania, Australia
Corinna
Corinna
Tasmania, Australia
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,253 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 weeks in tasmania

You can get to the major towns by public transport. There are no passenger train services in Tasmania. Take a look at this page for bus company listings: tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g255096-s302/Tasma…

However, the busses tend not to go to the major tourist attrcations except Cradle Mountain. You would need to use tour companies. Take a look at this page for tour company listings: tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g255097-s407/Hobar…

But in my opinion, it would be worthwhile looking at cheap car rental companies as your own car will save you many days of bus travel and could be cheaper than all but the cheapest tour companies.

Google "cheap car rental tasmania" for options.

Luigi

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
540 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 weeks in tasmania

Thanks for your help

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
540 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 weeks in tasmania

sorry to bother again but how many days each roughly would you give to the above?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,253 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 weeks in tasmania

From your list, Salamanca market will take a full Saturday morning.

Port Arthur will take a full day, but you could spend at least another day or two on the Tasman Peninsula.

Freycinet national park deserves a day and you come past Maria Island to get there. It's also worth a day.

It takes 5 hours to drive to Strahan from Hobart and there's things to see at New Norfolk and Derwent Bridge on the way. The southern (Lake St Clair) end of the big national park is at Derwent Bridge, as is the Wall in the Wilderness.

Once you're at Strahan, the Gordon River cruise will take a day and if you do the Wilderness Railway trip, that's another day. You are near the Franklin River there as it flows into the Gordon, but the best way to see it properly is to take a kayaking tour. Let us know if you need info on this.

From Strahan, you need to travel through Zeehan to get to Corinna. You should spend at least a day there.

From Corinna, head out through Savage River and Waratah to go to Cradle Mountain, although you could also head north on the Western Explorer road through Arthur River to Stanley and then back south to Cradle Mountain on the Murchison Highway from near Burnie. Ypou could spend a couple of days there.

And finally, you need to take a look at joining this itinerary together into a circle. at the moment you have half a circle planned. There's good info in the Top Question titled Touring by Car that will help. And there's a link to a downloadable map on that page.

Luigi

Mentioned in this post
Port Arthur
Port Arthur
Tasmania, Australia
Freycinet
Freycinet
Tasmania, Australia
Maria Island
Maria Island
Tasmania, Australia
Strahan
Strahan
Tasmania, Australia
New Norfolk
New Norfolk
Tasmania, Australia
Derwent Bridge
Derwent Bridge
Tasmania, Australia
Gordon River
Gordon River
19 Reviews
Tasmania, Australia
Zeehan
Zeehan
Tasmania, Australia
Corinna
Corinna
Tasmania, Australia
Waratah
Waratah
Tasmania, Australia
Arthur River
Arthur River
Tasmania, Australia
Burnie
Burnie
Tasmania, Australia
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
540 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 weeks in tasmania

Thanks for this. You're very good

8. Re: 4 weeks in tasmania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2013, 10:19