We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seafood, Cheese and Wine...

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
5 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Seafood, Cheese and Wine...

We will be visiting Tasmania for a week in March and have the finer details of the trip organised - car rental, accommodation, sight seeing - thanks to TA.

The final thing that I have been researching is the food (particularly seafood and cheese) and wine as I hope to try all of the wonderful foods that I have heard Tasmania has to offer. I have looked through the reviews and the forum for ideas and hints but some (particularly around restaurants) seem dated.

Can you please advise:

Where are the best seafood farms to visit on our trip?

Where are the best seafood restaurants in Tasmania - particularly for fresh (not fried)) seafood platters?

Where are the best cheese districts/shops to visit?

Can anyone recommend a good wine tour in Tamar, or otherwise?

We are flexible with travelling if it means we will get good food and wine....

Have had a look at the likes of Mures, Prossers, Peppermint Bay, Barilla Bay and a couple of others but would really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
13,189 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seafood, Cheese and Wine...

Hi holidaylover,

As you rightly said Tassie is blessed with the most wonderful food, and there are plenty of food shops to pick from.

You say you have the finer details organised i.e. accommodation. If you have your accommodation organised can you let us know your itinerary.

Once we know your route, we can point you in the right direction?

Safe travels - Robert

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
28,548 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seafood, Cheese and Wine...

Everything you could possibly need to know bout FRESH food is in here: tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g255096-c139513/Ta…

As Rob says, if you're after restaurant recommendations, please let us know where you're going. :)

The reviews in the Restaurants tab are very up to date, although they are somewhat biased toward suburban eateries (apart from Hobart's #1 place: the Linda Valley Cafe, which is beyond suburban in a big way). I have spent some time doing a locational summary which is here: tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g255097-s501/Hobar…

Valleybrook run a good tour of the Tamar Valley wineries: http://www.valleybrook.com.au/

Luigi

Edited: 25 February 2012, 12:02
Gold Coast...
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Seafood, Cheese and Wine...

Thank you both for your replies.

We are spending four days in around Hobart, doing Port Arthur, the Ghost Tour, Salamanca Markets, Richmon and possibly Bruny Island if we get time.

We will then head to Swansea and have a look around Coles Bay, Wineglass Bay etc before heading to St Helens. This is where I am thinking we will do the wine tour and Oyster Farm?

We then plan on heading to Launceston to Cataract Gorge Reserve etc and have booked accommodation for two days, however may change that to one night so we can spend an extra night at Cradle Mountain and do the canoe tour there.

After that we will head to Devenport and Burnie before heading to Cradle Mountain and then back to Hobart to fly home.

Luigi - I did look at your fine and rare foods list and found this extremely helpful but wanted to know what people's views were on the best seafood farms and cheese places to go to (from your list or otherwise).

I also looked at your Hobart dining review but specifically want ideas of who does fresh (not fried) seafood platters to share. When I have clicked on the restaurant websites and looked at their current menus there doesnt seem to be a lot of fresh platter options so thought I would put it out there for someone to comment.

I have to apologise too as when I said that the restaurant reviews were dated, I meant the forum reviews (back to 2007) on seafood restaurants as I had had no luck finding what I wanted in the restaraunt review sections. A couple of the good ones that were mentioned on there have since been closed down.

I will have a look at Valleybrook now.

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
28,548 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seafood, Cheese and Wine...

You seem to have two accounts. You need to follow the instructions on this page to combine them: tripadvisor.com.au/help/i_have_two_tripadvis…

Edited: 26 February 2012, 03:55
Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
5 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seafood, Cheese and Wine...

Yep, I worked that out last night and have sent the emails off. Shows how often I use my accounts :)

Cradle...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,189 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seafood, Cheese and Wine...

Hi which ever avatar you are or account you plan to be??

Below might sound like I’m sitting on the fence, unsure, waffling on or indecisive, take your pick.

I find all the seafood restaurants I’ve eaten at in Tasmania their seafood platters always have some kind of fried seafood added.

Asking someone what’s the best food outlet to eat at is very subjective, as you would know we all have different tastes some more peculiar than others. IMO the best restaurants are the ones in the TA reviews, if you filter them and look at the average ratings; you might find one that suites your taste, it still doesn’t mean you’ll love them.

I know you have read the article at the link below but I would use that link to plot your food safari. It gives you a great choice of foods and where to find them. TBH while driving you will find many boutique wineries, seafood suppliers, restaurants, cafes, cheese makers and fresh food producers on any road within Tassie. Very often the best places to eat are the ones less known, a little café or restaurant on the side of the road. As the ones already known are now very touristy, and again this doesn’t mean there’re not worth visiting either.

tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g255096-c139513/Ta…

For the best seafood platter why don’t you buy fresh local seafood and produce and make your own (plenty of suppliers to pick from the list on TA). I’ve just returned from Brisbane and that’s what we did there, we didn’t want fried seafood either, this way we got exactly what we wanted.

You state you have 7 days, adding the nights and places you mention I have laid out the itinerary below, affectively giving you 2 nights in the north, am I on the right track? If I am on the right track, and the reason I mention it, you’ll be driving near 900kilometres in 3 days over some very winding and hilly terrain???? I.e. St Helens to Launceston (insert Tamar Valley Wine Tour) to Low Head (wine tour) to Devonport to Burnie to Cradle Mountain to Hobart (Midland Highway).

Day 1 - Fly in to Hobart night 1

Day 2 – Hobart night 2

Day 3 – Hobart night 3

Day 4 – Hobart night 4 ?? (should this be St Helens as you state another night at Cradle)

Day 5 – St Helens night 5

Day 6 - Launceston night 6

Day 7 – Launceston/Cradle Mt night 7

Day 8 – Hobart fly out

If you have a late flight out of Hobart I would think about staying at Cradle Mountain the last night, leaving early the next morning, drive through Sheffield to Mole Creek to Deloraine to Ross to Oatlands to Richmond then to Hobart, (Leave Richmond for this journey if you have time) 5+ hour drive.

Try and get to Bruny Island if you have time, it’s a full day experience, early barge to and late return. Great food and excursions.

Great TR report for Bruny Island –

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g255096-i887-k5…

http://www.brunyisland.org.au/

www.brunyislandferry.com.au/timetable.htm

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g504285-i17288-…

Hope I haven’t confused you, I am, but that’s easy to do.

Safe travels - Robert

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
5 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seafood, Cheese and Wine...

Excellent, thanks so much, I think we may just end up buying our own fresh seafood and do as you recommend.

We are thre for nine days in total and fly out at 8:40pm on our final day so may just venture out to Sheffield etc on our last day.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,189 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seafood, Cheese and Wine...

Hi Holidaylover,

That makes much more sense, most travellers say they have a week, this usually includes the days flying in and out, so you do have a bit more time than I thought.

Couple of our favourite places around the north are -

When driving down the Midland Highway to Hobart on the south side of Campbell Town there's a foody place called Red Bridge Cafe and Providore, very nice products and great foods for sale, sit down or take away.

http://www.redbridgecafe.com.au/index2.php

If you're in to pancakes and mazes between Cradle Mountain and Sheffield is a place called Tasmazia -

http://www.tasmazia.com.au/

My wifes favourite wineries -

At the top of the Tamar is Pipers Brook -

http://kreglingerwineestates.com/

Near Devonport -

http://www.ghostrock.com.au/

While at Cradle Mt, if you want a fancy dinner try the Cradle Mountain Lodge Highland Restaurant, breakfast is not bad either (not the tavern - very overrated and expensive) -

cradlemountainlodge.com.au/food-wine/…

Cheese places -

At Burnie - Lactos Cheese

australiangetaway.com/australia/travel/lacto…

Between Devonport and Elizabeth Town, Bass Highway you have the following touristy places, still worth a visit -

http://www.ashgrovecheese.com.au/

http://www.raspberryfarmcafe.com/

http://anvers-chocolate.com.au/

The above are mentioned in the TA Top Questions and previously mentioned links. But as stated before they're around our place, so we take our friends and relatives to them for the touristy thing.

You will find a plethora of food stores, restaurants, sights, wildlife, tours and accommadation on your journey.

Have a safe and wonderful trip.

Robert

Edited: 27 February 2012, 01:29
Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
5 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seafood, Cheese and Wine...

Thank you so much for all your information Robert. Can't wait to visit Tassie and try all these wonderful foods. Really appreciate you taking the time to respond. Will build into our itinerary and ensure that I have a look at the websites before leaving and print this information to add to my "Tassie holiday folder".

Cradle...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,189 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seafood, Cheese and Wine...

Thank goodness I'm not paranoid, I thought I was the only one to have dedicated Trip Folders, usually a minimum of 2 ;- )