We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Back Report for Tassie

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
175 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
Just Back Report for Tassie

We spent a enjoyable fortnight in Tasmania last month and enjoyed every single moment. All accommodation was pre-booked before leaving, and has been reviewed separately.

Day 1:

Arrived lunchtime after an early start from NZ via Melbourne. Room wasn’t ready at St Ives but we were able to leave our luggage. Headed to Salamanca, harbour area and Elizabeth Street mall for the afternoon. Had takeaway fish & chips from Flippers just soaking up the ambience of the harbour for our evening meal. The seagulls were eager for a feed of chips.

Day 2:

After a stop at Jackman & McRoss for coffee and ham croissant, we caught to 10 am Red Decker bus. It started to rain but we had our wet weather gear. Informative commentary. Got off at the botanical gardens. Despite the rain, we explored and in particular enjoyed the conservatory, Japanese gardens and watched filming around the ABC’s Veggie Patch – I wish our vege garden was that good. Intended to have a pie at the Kiosk but were too late – sold out, suspect due to the colder day. Walked back to CBD via atrium at Henry Jones Hotel for a coffee and cake, then on to the museum. Evening meal at Mezethes, a Greek restaurant in Salamanca – it was devine – we shared a platter for two as a starter, with mains of Souvlakia (scallop for me, and lamb for my partner). Unfortunately there was no room for dessert.

Day 3:

Up early as I needed to find a doctor as I was trying to shake off a chest infection which had been lurking before I left - was hoping I would just get better. After getting an appointment within an hour at a surgery near Salamanca, I was prescribed some antibiotics and a good cough medicine which did the trick. Caught the Mona ferry late morning which in itself was good. We aren’t fans of modern art but were pleasantly surprised and enjoyed Mona for a few hours, including lunch with a view. Ferry back to Hobart then caught the Red Decker 3.00 pm and got off at Cascades. We intended looking around their gardens but didn’t realise that it closes at 4.00 pm (same time as café / gift shop). Walked back to St Ives via the Hobart Rivulet walk – a track that is well used by many locals out for a walk. Evening meal Vietnamese Kitchen at Salamanca.

Day 4:

Picked up rental car at 8.30 am and went to Port Arthur with a few stops on the way - explored Richmond, lunch at Dunalley Waterfront Café, tessellated pavement, Devils Kitchen, Tasman Arch and Blowhole. Managed to get to Port Arthur for the last boat cruise and guided tour of the day – only a handful on the guided tour as by now it was cold and wet – but we were prepared with our wet weather gear/ gloves / hat and scarves to keep us warm. Stayed at Stewarts Bay Lodge having a water view.

Day 5:

Checked out early to make the most of the 2 day ticket so was at Port Arthur just after 8.00 am – we felt like we had the place to ourselves and spent time exploring the ruins, taking many photos. Late morning we headed north to Coles Bay. Stayed at Big4 Iluka on Freycinet Holiday Park in a cabin – I didn’t want to rent a house nor stay in a Resort, so a cabin at Big4 it was, since I couldn’t find motels at Coles Bay. Evening walk along the beach to watch the sunset. Saw our first wallaby on the side of the road feeding on the way back.

Day 6:

Packed a picnic lunch, then walked up to Wineglass Bay lookout for a spectacular view, down to the beach where we saw some delightful wallabies. Paddled in the sea – the water was too cold for a swim. Returned via the Hazards. Walk in total took us 5 hours which included plenty stops. Evening meal at the Iluka Tavern.

(more to follow)

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
175 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Back Report for Tassie

And here is the rest of it:

Day 7:

Surprised at the amount of roadkill on the roads today. Went to Launceston via inland route stopping at Campbell Town, Clarendon, Evansdale and Perth. Will do Bicheno / St Helens route next time we visit. Afternoon at Launceston CBD, a visit to the Gardens including watching the Marques entertain themselves in the sun. Stayed in a hotel room at Penny Royal Apartments. Walked to Cataract Gorge and did the chairlift. Evening meal at Star of Siam. Returned to Cataract Gorge to see the floodlit gorge but it was only a small portion of the gorge that was floodlit.

Day 8:

Today headed to Cradle Mountain after a diversion to Deloraine to view the Artwork in Silk at the museum – I am a keen needleworker and was very impressed at the exhibition. We then headed to Sheffield to view the murals and to stock up on fresh food. Arrived at Cradle Mountain mid afternoon – staying at the Cradle Mountain Highlanders Cottages, in Buttongrass Cabin. The sun was shining, so after a quick unload of the car, changing into our boots we walked over to the Visitors Centre – showed our National Park holiday pass to get shuttle bus tickets and caught the shuttle to Dove Lake. Wandered around just to the boatshed, and a side track. My partner is a keen photographer so the light was ‘just right’ for pictures. Later in the evening we were picked up for the night spotting wildlife tour which included entry to Devils@Cradle – never thought a bus trip along the one and only road in Cradle Mountain would reveal so much activity. Being from NZ, we didn’t show much interest in the possums at night as they are a pest here. That evening I even wore my possum scarf which I took with me as it is so light and warm.

Day 9:

Up early to see the wildlife around the cabin, made picnic lunch, boots on, and got shuttle again out to Dove Lake but this time to do the full circuit. Not many people out early. Today was overcast so pleased we took lots of photos yesterday. Returned to cabin early afternoon, just to pick up our tripod, and headed out again on the shuttle but just as far as the Rangers Station to do 3 walks around that area. Evening meal at the Lodge.

Day 10:

Drove over to Strahan, stayed at The Crays. Did the Hogarth Falls walk and felt like we were back in NZ on the West Coast. Evening meal at Regatta Point Tavern including watching the sunset.

Day 11:

Walked into Strahan. Had prebooked before leaving NZ for our trip on World Heritage Cruises. A marvelous day – beautifully sunny and calm – boat managed to get out into the ocean – saw a pod of dolphins too. Excellent lunch including local salmon and cheeses. In the evening we drove to Ocean Beach to watch the sunset – took our own evening meal purchased from Strahan, a scallop pie each.

Day 12:

To Derwent Bridge today. One of the stops was to Iron Blow on top of Gormanston Hill just out of Queenstown. A viewing platform cantilevered out looking over an old mine which is now filled with water. Stopped for a walk to Nelson Falls. Overnight at Derwent Bridge Chalets and Studios. Afternoon walks at Lake St Clair. Evening meal at the pub which was pleasant surprising – I had an excellent Wallaby stack.

Day 13:

Daylight saving ended today so made the most of the extra hour, early start back to Hobart – hardly any traffic around. Stopped at New Norfolk for morning tea and went to their community Sunday fair. Returned to Mezethes but this time for lunch in Salamanca as it was so good when we visited on Day 2. Strolled around Salamanca / harbour / city area, with an evening meal at Mures. Stayed at St Ives again.

Day 14:

Returned rental car, late breakfast at Jam Packed, slowly saying our goodbyes to a wonderful fortnight in Tasmania. Lunchtime flight back to NZ via Sydney.

Thanks for reading - definitely recommend Tassie as a destination. We will be back (but not for a few years)

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,694 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Back Report for Tassie

Sounds like you had a good trip. Thanks for the Trip Report, jessie.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,355 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Back Report for Tassie

Great trip report jessie, so glad you enjoyed your trip.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
188 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Back Report for Tassie

You did and saw heaps in your fortnight in Tasmania - what was the accommodation and food like at Cradle Mountain. We are keen to go there soon

Thanks

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just Back Report for Tassie

Sounds like a good trip. Thanks for the TR.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
175 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just Back Report for Tassie

kandn - first night we self catered from some gourmet treats found in Sheffield. We self catered for breakfasts.

2nd night we drove to the Lodge (closest hotel to the National Park entrance) at their bistro. Wasn't anything outstanding - we had burger & chips. I've certainly had better. But they did have a nice log fire going in the middle of the restaurant which made up for it.

The cafe at the visitors centre looked ok for lunches but only bought emergency chocolate.

Sorry can't help further for other restaurants - maybe Rob T can?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,184 posts
1,433 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just Back Report for Tassie

Fab Trip Report - I enjoyed reading it !! At least you were prepared for the wet weather. Last time we visited PA it was a terrible weather & we nearly froze to death... the weather just changed so suddenly..

Thanks for sharing.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
80 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just Back Report for Tassie

Great report. Comprehensive and very useful for trip planners. I will definitely pick up a few things from there

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
398 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just Back Report for Tassie

Terrific report with lots of helpful hints for those planning their trip. You've helped me work out how to write my report as we returned last night and my draft of Day 1 is already too long! Have got to be brief.....

After days of deliberation, we chose to stay at Coles Bay in a cottage rented through Freycinet Rentals and loved being so close to the water with those wonderful views of the Hazards. What a special place and so quiet!

Thanks again.

Kyogle, Australia
Level Contributor
600 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just Back Report for Tassie

Thanks for the great report and sharing of your experiences and adventures around Tassie. Great reading and you obviously did your research. We just returned today from our latest trip, so will do report soon.

Cheers