We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tas for Two Weeks in January - 3 young children

Adelaide
4 posts
Save Topic
Tas for Two Weeks in January - 3 young children

Hi,

Would really appreciate any suggestions people have on where we should go and where to stay with 3 young children (6,4 and 15 months) in mid-late January 2013.

It's so difficult to know how long to stay in each area as I don't know how long it takes to see everything! We like bike riding, bush walking, local markets, swimming etc. Not too keen on super busy areas and cities. Don't really want to have to go in school holiday time due to the number of people around, but can't do much about that.

Would it be advisable to take the island in a circular direction starting and finishing in Hobart?

Would prefer to stay in basic holiday house accommodation, but not sure if this will cost too much..

Help from locals very much appreciated.

Kerry

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,629 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tas for Two Weeks in January - 3 young children

In two weeks you can do a good circle around the island. Take a look at this page which describes a big circle. While it nominally starts in Launceston, a circle can start anywhere. :) tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g255096-c119432/Ta…

It describes many of the major sights around the island on the way, but these pages on Top 10 Must Sees for Tasmania, Hobart and Launceston are also helpful:

tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-i23124-Luigi…

tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-i23142-Luigi…

tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-i23143-Luigi…

Hobart will be especially busy in the early part of the month with the end of the Sydney to Hobart and the annual "Taste" festival down on the docks. The east coast is particularly lovely at that time of year- so, being school holidays, it'll be very bust with families at that time. You'll probably need to plan your trip in some detail and make accommodation bookings in advance. Many/most places on the coast will ask for a minimum two day booking at that time.

Take a look at www.stayz.com for holiday places.

Hope this helps get you started,

Luigi

Adelaide
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tas for Two Weeks in January - 3 young children

Thanks for that advice. Much appreciated.

Adelaide
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tas for Two Weeks in January - 3 young children

Hi,

Just one more question... we were thinking about the possibility of staying in one location and doing day trips from the one location (i.e. do a house swap). Is this feasible to do in TAS or are there too many good things to see too far apart?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,629 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tas for Two Weeks in January - 3 young children

It would certainly save a lot of effort and expense with accommodation if you got a house swap. You could stay in either, say, Hobart or Launceston and do day trips.

In addition to the earlier links, take a look at the Top Questions on the Hobart and Launceston forum pages. There's good info on both about day trips and things to see and do in and around both locations.

Adelaide
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tas for Two Weeks in January - 3 young children

Thanks!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
876 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tas for Two Weeks in January - 3 young children

There are loads of fantastic short walks that won't wear out the kids, but still give a taste of that magical forest feel. Download the list from the NP website.

Our boys enjoyed the caves south of Hobart, a day trip with a few lovely stops en route (Hastings, I think), also there's the Tahune airwalk, and a lovely spring nearby I have forgotten it's name, we found it by accident so no bathers in the car, but brilliantly set up with changerooms, bbq's, gorgeous pool setting. That would be a really full day.

The drive there is wonderful, through the Huon valley.

I underestimated the drive from Strahan to Swansea, way too much for one day. Roads are winding, and there is much to see.

Kids make you slow down, stops like Kate's Berry Farm were great after the Wineglass bay lookout walk, so make sure you factor those detours in too.

7. Re: Tas for Two Weeks in January - 3 young children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 July 2013, 05:16