We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family trip in December for 8 days..

Darling Downs...
Level Contributor
111 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Family trip in December for 8 days..

Hi there, I am looking at booking flights into Hobart around December 14th and out of Launceston about 8 days later (fly home before Christmas). We are a family with 2 children that are 5 and 1 (almost 2 by then). We will hire a car for the whole time. I would really like to see Port Arthur and Cradle Mountain National Park. Can you offer any suggestions on a route to take and other things to see on the way. Taking into consideration it's a trip for our children to enjoy too. Thanks!

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
28,112 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family trip in December for 8 days..

I'd recommend spending a couple of days in Hobart - maybe also doing a trip to the Huon Valley while there. Then head for the Tasman Peninsula and Port Arthur and stay overnight there. Then head up the east coast to the Bicheno/Coles Bay area to see Freycinet National Park. The penguins are worth seeing at Bicheno in the evening. Then head west through Campbell Town with a little detour south on the Midland Highway to Ross and Oatlands (windmill). Head north via Longford (Woolmers and/or Brickendon farm) to Launceston.

Drive to Cradle Mountain from Launceston via Mole Creek. Stay at Cradle for a night. Return to Launceston via the north-west coast. See the sights of the Tamar Valley until you fly out.

You could be flexible with how many days you spend at each place with 8 days and staying a couple of nights will be easier than a big drive every day with kids.

Take a browse through the Top Questions on this forum, as well as the Launceston and Hobart forums for further ideas.

Luigi

Darling Downs...
Level Contributor
111 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family trip in December for 8 days..

Thanks Luigi, I have been reading through the top questions. You do a great job. I will look into your suggestions.

3. Re: Family trip in December for 8 days..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2013, 10:15