We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tasmania with young family

Sydney
6 posts
Save Topic
Tasmania with young family

We (2 adults + 4yo and 2yo) are in Tasmania for 16 days in October (arrive Hobart, depart Launceston). We have the first 7 nights in Hobart. 2 days for sightseeing/day trips such as Port Arthur, then 4 days conference for me, whilst wife and kids potter around Hobart. Then 9 nights to fill.

We were thinking:

3 nights Strahan - chance to do cruise and railway

2 nights Cradle Mountain

2 or 3 nights Launceston

1 or 2 nights Farm Stay - ?where

Questions I have:

1. Am I making a mistake going to the West Coast - is East Coast better or worse for young kids?

2. Is there a farm stay that people would highly recommend? - important that there are farm animals for the children - preferably somewhere between or near the above destinations. Or should we forget the farmstay and add extra nights to the above destinations.

3. Is there a destination that the kids would absolutely love, that we have missed above, and we should go out of way to see?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Launceston
Launceston
Tasmania, Australia
Port Arthur
Port Arthur
Tasmania, Australia
Strahan
Strahan
Tasmania, Australia
Great Western Tiers
Forests, Mountains, Valleys
Franklin-Gordon Wild Rivers National Park
Mountains, National Parks, Nature & Wildlife Areas
Cradle Mountain
Forests, Mountains, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Waterfalls
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,253 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tasmania with young family

It looks like a good plan to me.

October is on the cusp of when the west coast becomes OK, so that wouldn't be any deterrent to me.

There are plenty of farm stays in Tassie and they're pretty much all listed here: tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g255096-c180472/Ta…

Of them all, I think Curringa Farm fits best into your itinerary and it's a professional operation. It's on the way from Hobart to Strahan, so all you'd need to do is alter your plan slightly to put it in on the way to Strahan as you travel up the Lyell Highway. That way it also breaks the awful drive from Hobart to Strahan. http://www.curringafarm.com.au/

I think kids will love Curringa and Strahan if you do the river cruise and the train trip and also Launceston as there are plenty of free kids things there - such as the museum, Cataract Gorge and the monkeys in the park. and there's also Platypus House, Seahorse World and Pearn's Steamworld.

On the way from Strahan to Launceston as you head north, please take a look at Tazmazia. Kid's will love it: http://www.tasmazia.com.au/

Luigi

Mentioned in this post
Strahan
Strahan
Tasmania, Australia
Launceston
Launceston
Tasmania, Australia
Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
13,534 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tasmania with young family

Ditto on Tasmazia, it really is aimed at the young and young at heart.

If you drive through Mole Creek on to Cradle Mountain via Mole Creek Rd, there's a very basic wildlife park called Trowunna, as I said its basic but they do let you cuddle/hold little baby wombats, and on occasions let you pat the little Tas devils, plenty of other native animals to see and feed.. Also on this road is The Honey Farm at Chudleigh, great place again for the kids, plenty of honey tasting, watch the bees and a must is the ice-creams.

http://www.thehoneyfarm.com.au/

http://www.trowunna.com.au/

As Luigi states the west coast is a great place and there are great attractions, not 100% sure a 2 year old will get much out of it, but your 4 year old should.

I would recommend you freestyle, if the weathers not flash, especially places like Cradle Mt and Strahan you might want to move on to your next destination. These places are more attuned for outdoor activities. While in Strahan and if your kids are awake, the 4 year old MIGHT like the local play “The Ship That Never Was”, they always involve the audience, especially the kids whether they understand the plot or not, it’s fun and it’s a great show for the adults.

http://www.roundearth.com.au/ship.htm

If you read up on the Top questions about Tasmania at the top right hand side of this page you’ll get a great idea of what to see, do and eat, you will eat a lot. The food is second to none.

Safe travels - Robert

Mentioned in this post
Mole Creek
Mole Creek
Tasmania, Australia
Chudleigh
Chudleigh
Tasmania, Australia
Strahan
Strahan
Tasmania, Australia
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,253 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tasmania with young family

That reminds me, Rob, I'd like to put in a good word for Trowunna too. It's been a few years since I was there, but I visited a week or two ago and it's looking really spic-and-span with a lot of (DFTD grant?) money spent on new fencing and the like. It's a big improvement and I wish them well in their efforts for devils.

Kyogle, Australia
Level Contributor
600 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tasmania with young family

Hi,

another possibility for your wife to take the kids whilst you are busy, is Zoodoo at Richmond (just north of Hobart) We went there a few years ago, and as mature adults we loved the variety of animals and the small buggy ride to get up close and personal with some of the beasts to feed them. Check their website for further details. Richmond has some nice stores (eg lolly and I think ice cream-if memory serves me correct). Also a walk down by the famous old bridge along the river will give the kids a chance to see geese and ducks up close ( we fed -only a few slices of bread-around 30 on the grass and had quite an audience of tourists taking photos.

Just a couple of other suggestions for you to check out.

Sydney
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tasmania with young family

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Is one night at Curringa Farm a good option - is there enough around there to stretch it to two nights?

Would others recommend freestyle, as Rob suggests. Is it difficult to get suitable accommodation at short notice for a family of four at that time of year? What about things such as the Gordon River cruise and railway between Strahan and Queenstown - again is that difficult to book the day or two before?

Cheers,

Simon

Mentioned in this post
Gordon River
Gordon River
19 Reviews
Tasmania, Australia
Strahan
Strahan
Tasmania, Australia
Queenstown
Queenstown
Tasmania, Australia
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,253 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tasmania with young family

I think you would go to Curringa to stay on a farm. :)

However it's quite close to New Norfolk, Mount Field and the upper Gordon. More info here: tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-i21911-To_Ne…

You could also consider doing a trip up the Marlborough Road to visit Waddamana which is a fascinating old hydro power station - now a museum - and Bothwell (oldest golf course and whisky). However, that road is gravel and it can be a disaster at the end of winter.

I would at least identify suitable accommodation for a family in advance and unless there are many choices in an area, I'd book.

In October, you wouldn't need to book the river cruise or the train more than a day or two ahead.

Mentioned in this post
New Norfolk
New Norfolk
Tasmania, Australia
Waddamana
Waddamana
Tasmania, Australia
Bothwell
Bothwell
Tasmania, Australia
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tasmania with young family

Simon, our children are the same age as yours and would recommend a stop on the drive to Strahan at Lake St Clair. It is the 'half way' mark of the drive 2 hours (as about 4 total to Strahan). It was a great place to stretch legs, good facilities for a lunch stop & the lake is literally right where the car park and restaurant are. We have been lucky to see some wildlife around when we have been there and it is a truly beautiful part of Tasmania. The west coast is so vastly different to the east coast. Depending how your children travel for 4 hours in the car you could consider sleeping a night even at Lake St Clair the accommodation there has 2 bedroom chalets that are very nice as much more to do there than where the Curringa Farm at Hamilton. The farm stay would be for the experience so 2 nights may be too long so a suggestion to add for your consideration is the lake.

Mentioned in this post
Strahan
Strahan
Tasmania, Australia
Hamilton
Hamilton
Tasmania, Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
363 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tasmania with young family

Some years ago we overnighted in Tarraleah on our way from Hobart to Strahan.

discovertasmania.com/western_wilderness/town…

because I specifically wanted to show the hydroelectric works to my then 6 y.o. The views are absolutely stunning, we also went to the nearby dam, the water is crystal clear, we even drank some without any ill effects!

Mentioned in this post
Tarraleah
Tarraleah
Tasmania, Australia
Strahan
Strahan
Tasmania, Australia
9. Re: Tasmania with young family

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 02:15