We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mid January visit - best bets

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mid January visit - best bets

Headed to Australia in January and have 3 days

available after spending time in Adelaide, KI and Sydney.

Suggestions pros/cons for Tasmania vs Great Ocean Road.

Never been to Tasi - so leaning there.

Even though summer I can't imagine heat will be an issue.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,492 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mid January visit - best bets

3 days doesn't do justice to Tasmania, unless maybe you have a specific region of interest in the vicinity of an airport (eg Hobart or Launceston) that will fit. On the other hand if you will be in Adelaide 3 days is enough to drive to Melbourne via the GOR.

I've been in Adelaide and Melbourne in January and heat was an issue. Tassie IS further south but I don't know from experience, I've only been there in spring and autumn.

So Tassie I think would be cooler but GOR fits better timewise, honestly, I think I'd just go by what I want most to see, the GOR or a specific part of Tassie. (Btw you say you've never been to Tassie, implying you HAVE seen the GOR?)

Edited: 23 September 2012, 02:58
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mid January visit - best bets

My personal choice would be Tassie.

As Mac suggests. 3 days isn't long enough but better than nothing.

GOR spectacular as it is, is a one sight wonder - miles of spectacular coastline.

In 3 days in Tassiehulu can have a much wider variety of experiences.

You can choose from Historic Port Arthur and Hobart, amazing MONA, the fabulous temperate rainforest environment, the wildlife and sea life of the southern ocean on and around Bruny Island, Lake Peder, hiking on Mt Wellington, the foodie delights of the Huon valley and on and on.

For my money you get a lot more bang for your buck in Tassie and January is the best (warmest) time to visit. The GOR is VERY busy in Jan - but then so is Tassie.

Whichever you choose, it will be fantastic.

Edited: 23 September 2012, 03:39
Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,759 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mid January visit - best bets

Agree with MacKnee, if you do come to Tasmania base yourself in one place and do day tours from there.

Yes Tassie gets hot, if you stayed around the northwest it's not such an issue. The further south you go in Tasmania the hotter it gets, near where I live the town called Devonport the hottest day on record for January is 30C, where places like Launceston 39C and then Hobart 40.1C. The one thing with heat in Tasmania, the extreme heat doesn't last long, normally only a day or two. Last summer at our place we didn't make 30C and averaged around the mid to high 20'sC :o)

I would be more concerned about the heat on the mainland, on a comparison Tassie is usually milder, places like Adelaide can sit in the 40'sC for many days :o(

If you haven't seen GOR why not spend those 3 days driving it, and flying out of Melbourne. If you have been then come to Tassie, but start booking your accommodation wherever you go.

Safe travels - Robert

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mid January visit - best bets

If you decide on Tassie, head for Hobart - plenty to see and do in 3 days. It should be lovely weather then, definitely not as hot as Adelaide or Melbourne.

Otherwise, a leisurely 3 day trip along the GOR will give you plenty of time to fully appreciate it, with time to stop some of the pretty little beach towns along the way and explore some of the hinterland.

Whatever you choose, you will have a lovely 3 days. It is a busy time of the year so you would have to book accommodation well ahead of time.

Would you be flying in from Sydney or Adelaide?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,589 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mid January visit - best bets

I think three days based in Hobart would be ideal. Take a look at the Top Questions on the Hobart forum page for ideas - especially the ones on Day Trips, Cruises and Top 10 Must Sees.

Luigi

Edited: 24 September 2012, 06:17
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,492 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mid January visit - best bets

Interesting about the weather Rob.

I just had a thought, did anyone mention minimum stays in January? Three days based in Hobart might work better than trying to find three different places to stay along the GOR?

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,372 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mid January visit - best bets

Very unlikely to have a problem with heat in Tasmania.In January this year we spent 3 days on Bruny Island-2 of the days the temp did not get past 11C(52F).

I would agree Hobart is a good place to base yourself.If you are interested in art MONA is a world class gallery.Some very good restaurants-the Source at MONA being one of them.

Hobart does lend itself to easy day trips.

8. Re: Mid January visit - best bets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2013, 10:16