We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

campervan v. cabins at camper parks

Bainbridge Island...
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
campervan v. cabins at camper parks

Hi all,

My husband and I are planning three weeks in Tasmania in February - our first time - we are so excited! - and are considering campervanning. I've read the forum replies, which help somewhat, and have looked at the official tourism and camper rental sites, but still am unsure about what exactly camper parks offer and how they work. Do all have cabins as well as powered locations for vans? Do cabins have cooking facilities and supplies? Do cabins provide linens and blankets? I'd appreciate any info that would help us decide between rental car and cabins v. campervan. Thank you!

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,534 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: campervan v. cabins at camper parks

Almost all van parks will have on-site vans or cabins. They will all generally have self-catering facilities - including linen, crockery, cutlery and cooking facilities.

A car and on-site cabin is usually a more economical and convenient solution to the budget travel problem than renting a campervan. Unless you are a devout campervanner already, I strongly recommend that you look at on-site cabins/vans (and cheap motels) as a better option.

Luigi

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,252 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: campervan v. cabins at camper parks

Lots of winding and narrow but very good roads in Tassie. I agree a car and on-site cabins is a great way to travel in Tassie, although in places like Hobart and Launceston and some of the bigger towns you won't be in the centre of town.

Interesting sites below, gives you a rough idea on waht's available.

http://tas.big4.com.au/

tasmaniacabins.com.au/tasmania_cabin_parks.h…

Safe travel - Robert

Bainbridge Island...
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: campervan v. cabins at camper parks

Many thanks again to you both! Luigi, your specifics about what's at camper parks and making the more economical choice is much appreciated. Robert, I had found this website last night after I posted my question: discovertasmania.com/__data/assets/pdf_file/… And am finding your two recommended sites useful, too. Another upside of the rental car approach is having more choices of where to stay when we're in the bigger towns. And the center (okay: American spelling (-: ) of towns is appealing for the contrast to wilder places, of which Tas seems to have a marvelous abundance! Gratefully yours, Hilary

Kyogle, Australia
Level Contributor
600 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: campervan v. cabins at camper parks

Hi Hilary,

we have been to Tassie 5 times over the past 12 yrs. We mostly (95%) stay in Cabins and they are more than adequate and have all the requirements for any length of stay. They have the basic teabags, coffee, sugar and you usually supply all of your own edibles. Our first trip, which was in the month of February, was staying in cabins. Nothing was pre-booked, except the first night, I took a list of me of where I thought we would stay along the way, and mostly just turned up for the night or I rang ahead just after lunch to book a cabin for the night, when I had an idea of where we would need to stay on any particular day. Hiring a car and doing it this way is much easier than trying to drive a Campervan around the Hills & roads of Tassie, and then trying to find parking to look at the sights or stop in a village or town.

There are a couple of sites which deal with all the caravan parks in Tassie, but I can't just put my hand on them at present. The Big4 group would have their own website as would some of the others. Usually a decent cabin is around $110pn but we have had them as low as $70 in smaller fishing villages.

Cheers

Bainbridge Island...
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: campervan v. cabins at camper parks

Flossy, thank you! 5 times to Tassie - you must like it. Return trips are always a good recommendation for a place. More details about the cabins is appreciated. Like you, we'll be traveling in February, and hearing that we can just ring ahead is appealing. Yes, Big4 also has a website- pretty useful.

6. Re: campervan v. cabins at camper parks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2013, 10:18