We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental website in different country?

Singapore
Level Contributor
230 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental website in different country?

I'm residing in Singapore and I'm travelling to Tasmania in early 2013. I'm trying to get the rates for car rental from Hertz and Avis, But I notice there's a difference in prices when I access their sites in both .au and .sg.

I'm wondering if anyone residing outside Australia has booked thru their .au website (better rates) and manage to secure their rates when they pick up their rental car.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,763 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental website in different country?

There may be a difference between Australian and Singaporean websites, but you'd need to be able to interrogate both countries' websites to compare. That may be possible with Hertz as their local Tasmanian franchisee has a separate website here: http://www.autorent.com.au/

If you book through a website in Australia, the stated rate will apply on pick-up. It is illegal to advertise a rate and then later demand a different price. However, note that it is normal to decide on the insurance option at pick-up and that may/will be extra.

Singapore
Level Contributor
230 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental website in different country?

Thank you Luigi!!

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,550 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental website in different country?

You should be OK if you just get a different price from .au to .sg, but if the price is different based on selecting you country of residence, that would be Dynamic Pricing and if you lie about your country of residence to get the better price, it may not be accepted when you pick the car up.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,763 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental website in different country?

In Australia, the law requires that a drivers licence be in English or that an English translation (IDP) be provided. I am not aware of any rental companies that impose a "country of residence" requirement.

Singapore
Level Contributor
230 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental website in different country?

I go direct into Avis Tasmania website: avis.com.au/car-rental/…Tasmania-rental.html

It does not prompt me for any "country of residence" entry, only prompt me for my mobile contact number (indicated country code +65 for singapore) I had even manage to secure a online reservation with them.

Yes, my driving license is in english and I have an international license as well.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,763 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental website in different country?

Yes, a Singaporean driver's licence is good.

And is the price better on the .com.au site?

Singapore
Level Contributor
230 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental website in different country?

Yes, Avis Tasmania website rate is cheaper. I'm perplex too but the different websites rate. I'm afraid that there will be a catch when I collect the car..

avis.com.au/car-rental/…Tasmania-rental.html

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,763 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental website in different country?

The only likely "catch" is about insurance - as I mentioned earlier. On the Avis website, there is an option to select ER - Excess Reduction - insurance. You should read this page before deciding whether to take Excess Reduction Insurance or not: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c119403/Austr…

Singapore
Level Contributor
26 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental website in different country?

I am using VroomVroomVroom for my upcoming trip from this coming Saturday in Tassie! (hippee!!)... I thot their search engine, which combine the search with major car rental companies (hertz, avis, europcar, budget, thirfty) is great, and rates seems same/lower then if i go direct to these companies' website.

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
1 post
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental website in different country?

I just returned from my trip to tassie. I checked around all of the sites and eventually rented a car directly from Avis. I booked thru the avis.com.au site and found that there is an option to untick if you are not an Aust resident. By putting in that you are from Singapore, you actually get a cheaper rate. Show your Singapore drivers license when you pick up the car. This was also applicable when I played around with the options in vroomvroomvroom - but it seems that only avis offers a cheaper rate for Singapore drivers.

Enjoy your trip! Tassie is beautiful!!