We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

West coast driving

QLD
Level Contributor
145 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
West coast driving

Hello!

Just wanting some driving/direction advice!

Could someone kindly advise of the easiest and quickest (with easiest being more important) driving routes between:

Strahan and Corinna

Corinna and Stanley

Stanley and Cradle Mountain

and approximate times??

Thanks do much !!

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,914 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: West coast driving

From the eastern end of Strahan village, follow the sign to Zeehan on the B27. drive through Zeehean (heading north up the main street) and follow the C249. After about 40km, take a left turn on the white sand road signed to Corinna. Catch the barge at the end of the road. It'll take about 1 hour.

There are two ways to get from Corinna to Stanley. Drive east out of Corinna on the white sand road and after 2km you'll get to a T-intersection. The left fork is another 80 km of white sand heading to Stanley via Smithton; the right fork is about 25km of white sand and goes via Savage river, Waratah and Wynyard to Stanley. The right fork is best. It's about 2.5 hours.

From Stanley, head east on the highway to Somerset (just short of Burnie. Turn right onto the Murchison Highway. Follow it until you get to a left turn signposted to Cradle Mountain. Under 2 hours.

Also best to get a road atlas at any service station or newsagent.

QLD
Level Contributor
145 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: West coast driving

Awesome, awesome, awesome!!! Thank you for the detailed directions Luigi, I will take your advice with the right fork! You are so helpful, I think even I who is hopeless with directions can follow those.

Cheers!! :)

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,914 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: West coast driving

Oh, and the road to Zeehan is at the WESTERN end of Strahan Village. :))

QLD
Level Contributor
145 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: West coast driving

Okey dokey! Thanks Luigi :)

kyogle, nsw
Level Contributor
600 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: West coast driving

Hi,

We stayed at Corinna during our last trip, back in April having travelled through Zeehan. We then went towards Waratah staying overnight at Roseberry, then, swinging back to Queenstown, but you might like to read my trip report, with road conditions etc, over in that region. White 'sandy' road, is a ctually silica gravel, which is smooth and a delight to drive on.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g255096-i887-k5…

I gather that you intend to stay at Corinna? Don't forget that there is a fee for crossing on the barge, but it is the only way across the river( a 5min trip). Hope my long winded trip report gives you some inssight for the region. Beautiful- as is all of Tassie, though different around every corner. We have travelled there 5 times.

Cheers

QLD
Level Contributor
145 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: West coast driving

Thanks Flossy! I re-read your report and remembered that it was after reading it months ago that we decided to go to Corinna, so there you go!! I am a little apprehensive about driving the silicone roads seen as I'll be doing most of the driving but it's seems they should be okay! Have booked on the Arcadia too and cannot wait!! Now that you mention fuel, are there any other areas that you know of without fuel or with rationed fuel? It's something important to keep in mind!!

Thanks again Flossy!

kyogle, nsw
Level Contributor
600 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: West coast driving

As far as I am aware, fuel is Ok everywhere else, but locals may be better to comment on this. WOW< amazing that you had read my report previously. The road are really smooth and good to drive on, obviously you drive slower than on the main road, as it is a bit windy. But, hey, the area is beautiful and you need to enjoy as well as concentrating on your driving, though different around the Savage River area. This is a mining area, and that is the only housing that you will see, is all the dorms where the workers live. Tassie is a fabulous place with lots on offer and the locals are sooooooo friendly and willing to spread the good word about their region, so don't be afraid to ask questions. We have mostly done the non-touristy things and places and have found many hidden secrets of tassie by talking to the locals.

Enjoy, Glad to be able to help with your research.

Cheers

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
11,860 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: West coast driving

Nay, fuel is not a concern, as long as you fill up in towns before you hit the remote areas, like the west coast roads, it's not a long way between drinks. Last week I drove via the Midlands from the Cradle area to Hobart and return on 1 tank of fuel without the fuel light coming on.

You'll be right.

Flossy, is there a rumour you will come back for your 6th trip ;o)

Robert

Edited: 27 November 2012, 21:31
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,914 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: West coast driving

The general store at Warath is a grand stop just for the experience - part of which is "rationed" fuel. The best place to eat in town, too. :))

QLD
Level Contributor
145 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: West coast driving

Thank you Flossy, Rob and Luigi!! Waratah for fuel is on the list!! I think I am paranoid from stories from my parents about not being able to find a petrol station open at night or on Sundays in tassie, but that is when they lived there years ago!! Also the unmanned petrol station in zeehan was interesting last time we were there... Anywho, thanks to you all again :)