We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choice of airlines

nj
Level Contributor
176 posts
197 reviews
Save Topic
Choice of airlines

We're first time visitors to Australia and are planning to visit Tasmania. We have a choice of airlines to fly from Melbourne to Tasmania; is any one in particular recommended as being more reliable, less inclined to delays, etc? I believe the choices are Jet Star, Virgin Australia, or Qantas.

Thank you.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,076 posts
1,389 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Choice of airlines

Hi,

- best to worst. -

Qantas

Virgin Blue

Jetstar

Jetstar is the worst airline due to delays.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Choice of airlines

We flew Melbourne to Hobart with Jetstar. No problems, no delays.

Australia
Level Contributor
374 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Choice of airlines

I'd agree with ellemay on the ranking. The difference between qantas and virgin is very minor - virgin used to be a fair bit cheaper, but the price gap is closing. Depending on the fare, virgin may charge for inflight refreshments.

Jetstar is more low cost, and only does point to point. You have to collect and recheck your baggage for connecting flights, and if one is delayed and you miss your connection, that is your problem.

Personally I fly virgin by preference, unless qantas is cheaper or at a better time. I only fly jetstar when taking a single flight with no connections and where time is not critical.

Also because jetstar is owned by qantas, sometimes you think you are booking with qantas but because of code share arrangements you may find yourself on a jetstar flight.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,325 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Choice of airlines

I'm with Susannah. I prefer Virgin and try to avoid Jetstar. Jetstar is just aggravating.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
11,995 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Choice of airlines

I fly Jetstar (because it’s direct) too Brisbane from Launceston many times a year (just returned last Monday, no problems), Sydney a few times a year and have never been delayed, lucky I guess. And the only time I have been delayed on a flight is on Virgin, luck of the draw I guess. There's also Qantaslink direct from Melbourne to Devonport, this is my favourite to Melbourne. If you would like a bit of a boaty trip overnight you could do a run on the Spirits of Tasmania.

http://www.spiritoftasmania.com.au/

Safe travels - Robert

6. Re: Choice of airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 20 May 2013, 06:33
Melboune
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Choice of airlines

There's also Tiger, who are often the cheapest of all (but watch for the add-ons and baggage restrictions etc). Although some people say Tiger is OK, they are unpopular with many travellers.

Have a look at the Webjet site to compare times and fares (see http://www.webjet.com.au/) but note that if you actually book through this site, there are extra charges.

Oz
Level Contributor
12,122 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Choice of airlines

Hi,

If you have a connecting flight or function to attend Jetstar is the least reliable.

Cheers,

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Choice of airlines

Further to post #7 - I think Tiger fly only to Hobart, so are not an option for Launceston.

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Choice of airlines

It's a personal choice for this under 60 minute flight. Qantas provide all in fares, no extra charges and a snack. All others are budget carriers. Virgin charge like a full service airline but you still have to pay for extras, luggage, food etc unless you have purchased an all in ticket. Jetstar have a frequent service. Tiger have limited services. Personally I would just take the best fare on offer suiting your time. Qantas/Virgin are good for reliability. Qantas operate a mix of 737 or Q400 planes to Tasmania. Virgin operate 737 or Embraer, Jetstar and Tiger A320. All fly into Hobart, and I think all but Tiger fly into Launceston.

Edited: 02 December 2012, 05:09