We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safe leaving luggage in car trunk at Freycinet?

California
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Topic
safe leaving luggage in car trunk at Freycinet?

We're thinking of staying a night in Swansea, spending the day in Freycinet National Park, then heading back to Hobart. Is it safe to leave our luggage in the car trunk while we are out hiking? My husband is afraid of our car getting broken into and all of our things being stolen. I suppose another option would be to ask wherever we end up staying in Swansea to store our things for us and then pick it up on the drive back to Hobart.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
85,442 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safe leaving luggage in car trunk at Freycinet?

You should be reasonably safe, provided that there is nothing of value visible in the car and that, when you park, you do nothing to indicate that there is luggage in the trunk.

If you need to get stuff in to or out of the trunk, stop and do it before you get to Freycinet. When you park, just get out of the car, lock it, and walk away.

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,264 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safe leaving luggage in car trunk at Freycinet?

I would also be a little selective where you park the car at Freycinet, maybe near the rangers station, or outside the park near a business, but perhaps not in a secluded shaded (sounds nice to keep the car cool) parking spot within the park, and hide not just valuables but all those maps and other clues that say 'this is a car loaded with travelers belongings.....its not uncommon all over the country (maybe the world) to see broken glass and think, smash and grab, though it may well have been a key locked in car, occupants domestic dispute, or a bypasser rescuing an animal locked in a vehicle, its just theft is our first thought. Reality, theft is rare, just dont leave temptations.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safe leaving luggage in car trunk at Freycinet?

We often leave the car while we are away bushwalking for a day. We try to leave it in a car park but sometimes the trail-head is by the side of a road.

We've never encountered a problem yet.

Take the advice above.

Make sure you have adequate insurance to cover any possible losses.

Don't leave valuables like cameras, wallets, money, passports etc in the car.

If I have my laptop with me I always hide it under the floor mats in the back, not just lying around the trunk of the car. If there are no floor mats, slip it under the drivers seat.

However, if you feel uncomfortable doing this and you think you would spend the whole day worrying about it, then your option of leaving your luggage at your hotel in Swansea would also work, since you'll be driving back through to get to Hobart.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,534 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: safe leaving luggage in car trunk at Freycinet?

While I think that the advice given above is correct, I think you would have more peace of mind by asking your accommodation in Swansea to hold your bags until you come back through in the afternoon. I'm sure they'd be happy to do it.

Luigi

5. Re: safe leaving luggage in car trunk at Freycinet?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2013, 10:16