We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 full days in Tasmania, but staying in Hobart

Sydney
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
4 full days in Tasmania, but staying in Hobart

My husband and I will be staying for 4 full days in Hobart and would like to know what to do and see, we understand that we will have to drive around to other places in Tasmania. We don't mind driving 2 hrs to get to these places, but need to come back to Hobart at night. if anyone could help, that would be great.... Thank you Vanessa. We arrive 9.20am Friday and Fly out Monday 10.00pm

Launceston...
Level Contributor
111 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 full days in Tasmania, but staying in Hobart

When is this trip organised for? If it is soon, you may want to check out the Fire Tasmania website: www.fire.tas.gov.au/Show… to assess the current bushfire situation.

Why is it that you want to remain solely in Hobart? There are many other sites around Tasmania that are worthy of a visit.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,185 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 full days in Tasmania, but staying in Hobart

Hi ness, well 2 hours will get you half way up the state :o)

Sadly the Tasman Peninsula is out of the question for you due to the fire issues, shame it’s a fantastic place.

Have a read of the Top questions about Hobart, particularly the Day trips from Hobart.

tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g255097-s407/Hobar…

Bruny Island is a great place to visit as is the Huon, and of course there’s the Salamanca Markets on the Saturday morning. If you do look at Bruny Island as a day trip, make sure you check the Terms and Conditions on your vehicle hire, some renters don’t allow their vehicles to go on ferries.

Safe travels - Robert

Edited: 07 January 2013, 01:09
3. Re: 4 full days in Tasmania, but staying in Hobart

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 May 2013, 05:18
australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,264 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 full days in Tasmania, but staying in Hobart

Four days I would stick close to or in Hobart too....day trip as far as Ross or south as previous advice is easy.....places like Richmond, Mt Wellington can take half a day. Ferry to MONA another option. Salamanca market Sat morning a MUST.

Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 full days in Tasmania, but staying in Hobart

Hi,

You could possibly take a day trip out to port arthur, port arthur is an old convict prison, very interesting!

If you like art Mona is definitely the Place to go!

It's situated on the derwent river so to get there you have to take a beautiful boat trip!

Salamanca market is a nice market to browse around in!

Climb mt Wellington- its not a very big mountain and you get stunning views of Hobart from the top!

Best luck!

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,185 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 full days in Tasmania, but staying in Hobart

I-need-a-holiday, I believe, well I think the OP is coming this Friday, when are you arriving nessundress??? The Arthur Highway the road to Port Arthur/Tasman Peninsula is closed due to the fires, and could be closed for while yet, reopening for general traffic is unknown.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,490 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 full days in Tasmania, but staying in Hobart

The ABC News says the road to PA will be closed for at least a week.

8. Re: 4 full days in Tasmania, but staying in Hobart

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 09 May 2013, 06:44
Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 full days in Tasmania, but staying in Hobart

Hi Ness,

4 days in Hobart in summer. Everyones dream come true! Suggestions include:

1, Relax down at Salamanca Place for an afternoon/evening of shopping, eating and drinking (hope your 4 days includes a Saturday, then you get to experience Salamanca Market).

2. as suggested by Rob a Day trip to Bruny Island (if your hire car permits gravel roads) - note that there is a car ferry so check the time table.

3. Huon wine trail, or just a drive down the Huon and Channel. The fruit is ripe now so when you see a sign outside a farm do call in.

4. Definately visit Mona. If you don't go, ppl in your home town will bag you out for not visiting it. It is awesome.

5. Mount Wellington. If the horizon is clear then I suggest a 30 minute drive to the summit

6. Coal River wine route including an hour or 2 at Richmond.

7. Mount Field National Park (fees apply).

Some food for thought, and enjoy.

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,264 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 full days in Tasmania, but staying in Hobart

While there are alternatives, I would suggest taking a ferry to MONA is almost a must, that even though you don't HAVE to do, most should do