We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Re-routing my Tassie itinerary, please advise

Penang Malaysia
Level Contributor
172 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Re-routing my Tassie itinerary, please advise

Hi, all,

I posted my 6-day itinerary on Mar 18 and was told that it's quite unlikely to cover all the beautiful places along the east coast.

I will extend my itinerary by another 1 day with 7 days in Tassie and balance of 3 days in Melbourne.

I read with great interest on the message posted by Ravi on Mar 25 on 4 Day Tassie itinerary and the answers given by Luigi in particular. May be my family and I will go by "Spirit of Tassie" and start our journey from Devonport to Hobart (picking up our car at 9am) and then travel along the east coast and depart at Launcester.

I understand very well that it will be very taxing if I have a short tour at Cradle Mountain and then travel straight to Hobart via the Midland Highway and of course we will stop at Ross and Oatland for a while. From the info I gathered, it takes about 1hr 30 mins fr Devonport to Cradle Mountain and another 4 to 5 hrs drive from Cradle Mountain to Hobart. OR shall I put up a night at Deleorain or somewhere along the way and proceed my journey to Hobart in the next morning? Your advice is greatly appreciated here. Taking into consideration that my family and I will spend about 2 to 3 hours in Cradle Mountain and furthermore, it's my first self driving in foreign country.

If I were to put up a night at Deleoraine or suggested town, my suggested itinerary shall be as follows:

Day 1 Nov 18: Devonport - Cradle Mountain 88km 1hr 30mins - overnight at Deleoriane (Please advise if there is other better town to stay)

Day 2 Nov 19: Deleoraine - Hobart 231 km 2hrs 30mins (Expect to reach Hobart before noon) and have a half day tour in Hobart - may consider taking a 3-hr half day sightseeing coach tram tour. Stay at Hobart.

Day 3 Nov 20 :Bruny Island (Full day and self drive. Checked with Bargain Car Rental and confirmed that the insurance covers Bruny Island and Bruny Ferry) Stay at Hobart.

Day 4 Nov 21: Tasman Peninsula and Port Arthur (Full day) Stay at Sorell or ? (Please advise as the following day, we are heading for Freycinet National Park)

Day 5 Nov 22: Sorell to Coles Bay 167 km (2 hrs) Freycinet National Park (Full day) Stay at Coles Bay or ?. Please advise. Is it better to stay at Bicheno?

Day 6 Nov 23: Coles Bay to St Helens 114 km (1 1/2 hrs) Bay of Fires and then proceed from St Helens to Launcheston via Scottsdale 163 km (2hrs 20 mins). On the way, see St Columbia Falls and carved memorial trees at Legerwood. Stay at Launcheston

Day 7 Nov 24: Leave for Melbourne after breakfast or lunch.

Your advice on my itinerary is greatly appreciated and if it goes well, I will come back for accommodation. Thank you very much and have a nice day.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,694 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Re-routing my Tassie itinerary, please advise

Deloraine would be a suitable place to stay. There are some B&Bs and motels there. An option would be to continue on the Launceston. It's 30 minutes from Deloraine to Launceston.

Sorell would be OK, or you could continue further up the east coast to Swansea area. There may be more accommodation choices on the coast.

There are more accommodation and food choices at Bicheno than Coles Bay. And there is a penguin tour there also.

It looks like a good itinerary to me. :)

Luigi

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,354 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Re-routing my Tassie itinerary, please advise

Deloraine is a lovely town with some great restaurants and accommodation places, and well worth a look and stay. You could go further down the Midlands, but this would be a big day and less relaxing.

IMO a better stay would be at either Port Arthur or Swansea, your daylight hours in November are quite long which allows more flexibility in where you intend to drive to and stay.

Coles Bay is nice, but as pointed out already a lot less accommodation and food places, Bicheno IMO would be a better option.

Safe travels - Robert

Penang Malaysia
Level Contributor
172 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Re-routing my Tassie itinerary, please advise

Hi, Luigi and Rob,

Really appreciate your inputs. I am now eagerly looking forward for my Tassis trip. Just for your info, I have quite a big group with 8 adults and 4 children ranging from 7 yrs to 15 years old. We will travel in 2 8-seater van for our trip.

Our budget is tight and would like to know if staying in cabin or motel with self catering are the cheapest mode of accommodation? I would greatly appreciate if someone could recommend quality budget cabin or motel in Deleoraine, Hobart (which part of Hobart shall we stay judging from the places we are going to visit city tour, Bruny Island and Port Arthur), Sorell, Bicheno and Launcheston. Is it possible to get lodging at AUD30 or less per person night in Tassie? Please help.

Thank you and have a nice day.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,694 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Re-routing my Tassie itinerary, please advise

You can get accommodation at that price in van park cabins. You will need to rent several.

Take a look at Discovery Holiday Parks http://www.discoveryholidayparks.com.au/tas

And Big4 van parks: http://tas.big4.com.au/

There's a cabin park on the eastern edge of Deloraine too. Called Tiers Cottages, I think.

Just google "[town] Tasmania cabins" or "[town] Tasmania cottages" and you'll get some good choices.

Penang Malaysia
Level Contributor
172 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Re-routing my Tassie itinerary, please advise

Thanks a lot Luigi for your advice on accommodation. It seems accommodation at Surell is limited and I may probably follow the adice by Rob and stay at Port Arthur. I read your advice to Peter on June 27 last year and feel that the website riverfronthobart.com is very useful to me. Thanks again.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,694 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Re-routing my Tassie itinerary, please advise

Yes, I agree that the Riverfront Motel will be a good budget choice in Hobart. It's a little way out of the city, but is right on the main highway into town.

7. Re: Re-routing my Tassie itinerary, please advise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2014, 05:16