We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Campervan hire tassie

4 posts
Save Topic
Campervan hire tassie

Hi, plan to travel with family of 4 at beginning of May. & am considering hiring a camper an to give us flexibility. Can anyone recommend any campervan hire firms or tell of recent experience with them? Thanks!

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,560 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Campervan hire tassie

Are you experienced, because the winding roads of Tassie are not where I'd choose for a first trip especially as the weather is cooling down as well, plus I'm not sure but if by flexibility you mean pull over anywhere as the mood takes you it might not be that simple either. If you tell us more about your requirements and your expectations (we can't even tell if you are considering this from the perspective of an Aussie with some knowledge of the local conditions or an overseas visitor with a perception that campervanning is one of our "supposed" must do's) I'm sure you'll get some good suggestions.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,122 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Campervan hire tassie

There has been a lot of recent discussion about the merits of vanning against driving a regular car and staying in cabins. It would be worthwhile doing a search of this forum using the green Search bar above. Once the search results are listed, you can change the default listing to list them by date.

My feeling is that it's getting a bit too cold and the days too short to be vanning in May.

Luigi

Oz
Level Contributor
11,913 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Campervan hire tassie

Hi,

For some time I have been replying to those seeking information on a motor home holiday in OZ and NZ. I’ve taken the time to prepare my thoughts, beliefs and feelings on the subject. So here goes.

Motor home “holidays” are for those who enjoy the experience, in the same vein as there are those who enjoy self flagellation, solo round the world yachting and competing in ultra marathons. To each their own I say so long as they don’t interfere with me. Unfortunately driving a motor home does interfere with me if I’m amongst the unfortunates stuck behind one on a narrow twisty road and obviously their increased carbon footprint affects us all. The saving grace is when you see one stuck in the entry to a multilevel car park, broken down at the side of the road, broken into by the local crims when parked in a “free parking area”, or filling up at the servo.

Motor homes are more expensive than a rental car holiday and accommodation in motels/B&Bs/Hotels/on site cabins/hotels and even some resorts in Australia and NZ once the true costs are taken into account.

These direct costs include but are not limited to:

1. Rental.

2. Insurance.

3. Fuel (remember this is a truck with the aerodynamics of a house brick).

4. Site Fees.

5. Possible divorce proceeding for married or de-facto couples.

The human costs include but are not limited to:

1. The joy of truck driving, often in a foreign land on the “wrong side of the road”.

2. The wonders of living, travelling and sleeping in a space smaller than most kitchens.

3. The amenity of carrying your excrement with you.

4. The challenge of emptying the cassette containing the excrement.

5. The lottery of renting a motor home where not only the mechanicals are working (the bits that let you go, stop and steer) but also the peripherals such as heating, toilets, showers, cookers, fridges etc. The probability of having all of these disparate bits working at the same time fly in the face of both Murphy’s and Sod’s laws.

6. Point 5. from direct costs above.

7. The triumph of measuring the success of your trip by the length of the caterpillar train of happy motorists held up behind the mobile chicane you are driving.

8. In Alpine conditions fitting snow chins to dual wheels if you have a real behemoth.

Cheers,

Save Reply
4. Re: Campervan hire tassie

Hi macknee, wow...yes, we're used to driving on windy roads on the left and right, have enjoyed the bliss of sharing close quarters...but think that that not having to stick to a schedule is what the holiday is all about! Cheers

Save Reply
5. Re: Campervan hire tassie

Hi Luigi A. Thanks for the suggestions. We like the cold! cheers

Save Reply
6. Re: Campervan hire tassie

And to OZRCFLYER....very comprehensive reply.. trust you've experienced behind behind a brick on wheels? or what I am proposing. Don't you like a bit of family therapy? Thanks for making me laugh. Points taken on board. Was considering a van or van plus tent as opposed to a brick on wheels! Last time we hired one of those we never used the facilities on board -too much of a hassle.

As pointed out in above replies... experienced driving both sides of road and off road but just wish for a bit of life without schedule for us.

If we do hire a van, I'll make sure to be the first to the top of the hills!

cheers!!

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Campervan hire tassie

Hi Tassieboundmay, You've received some good advice. The weather will be starting to cool down in May and four in a motorhome can become crowded but it seems like you have factored these into your plans so I say go for it. Commonsense and caution on the roads and you'll be fine. I recommend Britz or Maui, a bit dearer but you get what you pay for. Have a great time and Ilook forward to your trip report

8. Re: Campervan hire tassie

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2014, 06:16