We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip Tasmania

Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip Tasmania

My husband and l are going to Tasmania in November for 13 nights flying in and out of Hobart. So far we have booked 4 nights in Hobart. Then not sure what to do next wanted to stay at least a couple of nights in each place so we are not unpacking every day. Thought we would do the east coast but wiuld love to do cradle mountain too. We hope to do some walks . We want to stay in self contained units at that time of year do we need to book. Any ideas I would appreciate.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,694 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip Tasmania

In 13 days you can see most of the state. You could start your research by having a browse through the Top Questions on the right hand side of this page. Start with the one titled Touring by Car. Also take a look at the ones on the Hobart and Launceston forum pages.

There is also a big listing of accommodation in the Hotels and Holiday Rentals tabs in green at the top of the page - once you have a plan on what places you want to stay.

It's best to book accommodation in Hobart on weekends and Cradle Mountain any time. Otherwise you could just wing it.

Hope this helps get you started,

Luigi

Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip Tasmania

Thanks for your reply.

What do you think of this.

4 nights in Hobart which we have already booked. Then can't decide whether to go to cradle mountain 2 nights. Was concerned if the weather wasn't good would we feel stuck there? Where do you recommend to stay?

Then 2 nights launceston

1 night St. Helens

2 nights bicheno

1 night back in Hobart for we fly out.

Was going to wing it but am having second thoughts as this is our first time in tassy I know we'll be back.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,694 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip Tasmania

There are anecdotal stories about people being stuck at Cradle Mountain. It doesn't happen very often. I wouldn't worry about it.

There is not much accommodation at Cradle and it's a remote place, so accommodation is quite expensive. Highlanders is good, as is Wilderness Village. The most economical is the cabins at Discovery Holiday Park.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,355 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip Tasmania

Sabrina, November is a lovely time at Cradle Mountain, and if it does snow it will normally be light and at the higher elevations, they rarely close the eastern exit road even in the winter.

Safe travels - Robert

Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip Tasmania

Thanks for your reply.

What do you think of this.

4 nights in Hobart which we have already booked. Then can't decide whether to go to cradle mountain 2 nights. Was concerned if the weather wasn't good would we feel stuck there? Where do you recommend to stay?

Then 2 nights launceston

1 night St. Helens

2 nights bicheno

1 night back in Hobart for we fly out.

Was going to wing it but am having second thoughts as this is our first time in tassy I know we'll be back.

Edited: 26 June 2013, 22:29
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip Tasmania

Everything is so close in Tasmania that if you wanted you could stay in a town outside Cradle Mountain and take a day trip down there to see it. It was a few years ago that I did a driving holiday around Tassie but if memory serves correct we stayed in Sheffield and it was about an hours drive to the mountain from there. And like everywhere in Tassie beautifully scenery along the way.

Where are you flying too when you fly out of Hobart? Might be an option to fly out from Launceston to save doubling back to Hobart? When I went we flew into Launceston, picked up our car and dropped it back in Hobart before our flight out there.

Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road trip Tasmania

Thanks for your help. We are flying in and out of Hobart which I have already booked. Cradle mountain was an after thought. Wandering whether to leave it out so we don't have the big drive or as your suggest do a day trip. I want it to be a relaxing holiday. This our first time in Tasmania and our first road trip any help I'm grateful of. Ps I know we'll be back.

Sabrina

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road trip Tasmania

Hi,

I have been to Tassie twice and loved it. I will put up my last two week trip list by car and self cont. You may find something of interest. I might add that when we tried to go to Cradle Mountain it was raining both times. the first sleeting cold fine rain and the second a heavy downpour. However, on the first we managed the walk around Dove Lake.

My favourite spots & sights are Woolmers Estate out of Launceston south about half an hour and off the Midlands Highway, Constitution Dock and the lookout at Mt Wellington in Hobart, Salamanca markets in Hobart on a Saturday morning. Get some vegetables there and try their little golden potatoes. Veges are so fresh and crisp. Go early and get a free park at the hill end of the market area on the street and venture around the docks early for great photos of the boats there. Also the Lady Neslon Replica may be in port. The ship that brough the first settlers to Hobart. My ancestor also sailed this original ship in early 1800's and has it on his headstone. Called His Majesty's Tinder box as it was so small but did a lot of work here. Stanley on the north west coast, quaint, go up on top of the nut for a walk if possible and views. The countryside around Sheffield is beautiful on the way into Cradle Mountain. Bicheno and St Helen's are pretty. Strahan is a hike across to the west coast and rugged vistas along the way, but hardly populated. Boat cruise on Macquarie Harbour there was pleasant. Richmond is arty crafty and about half an hour or so out of Hobart. Info centre has a model of Hobartown.Once stayed in an apartment at Hatchers Richmond Manor, an apricot orchard and farm out of Richmon town with lovely views over the town. It is also a B & B.

Coles Bay and Wineglass Bay...another picturesque area.

Anyway here is the trip list

tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-i21976-Tasma…

We went in March April both times.

9. Re: Road trip Tasmania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2014, 05:16