We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self Drive, 13 Days - Too Much?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
40 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Self Drive, 13 Days - Too Much?

Hi,

Below is what our tentative plan looks like. We're planning a trip to Tassy next June in the 3rd and 4th week.

We will pick up our vehicle and move towards Richmond as our first base.

3 Nights - Richmond

Staying at Tara Farmstay. Enjoy the farm, explore Richmond, Bonorong Wildlife Park, Mount Wellington.

2 Nights - Coles Bay/Bichero

Drive through Oatlands and visit the Callington Mill on the way to Coles Bay/Bichero. Freycinet National Park, Wineglass Bay

Penguin Tour at Bicheno.

2 Nights - Launceston

Seahorse World, Platypus house, Cataract Gorge, Harvest Launceston Farmers' Market, explore town

2 Nights - Cradle Mountain/Make St Clair

Will stay on mountain itself. ==> Slightly apprehensive about driving up the mountain in June due to uncertainty over road conditions. I read that there are transfer services from Devonport. Is this recommended if I wish to avoid driving and would there be places I can park the vehicle for 2/3 days?

2 Nights - Hobart

Melita Honey Farm , Trowunna Wildlife Park, Salamanca Market, shopping,

2 Nights - Bruny Island

Will take the vehicle onto the ferry to Bruny Island. Qtn - Does it make sense to go to Bruny Island for 2 nights? Or is 1 enough? Although I saw from the pics it's beautiful, I am not sure what chances are like if we are hoping to spot wildlife. Also, is it too rush to drive back to Hobart for catch a morning flight out?

Thanks,

Ken

Singapore

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,338 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self Drive, 13 Days - Too Much?

It's a good, slow-paced plan and you'll enjoy your trip.

You shouldn't have any problems driving to Cradle Mountain. The last hour of the routes through Mole Creek and Sheffield are quite winding, but if that is a concern, the road via Burnie is only slightly longer and is an excellent road. Details in the Top Question on the right of this page.

I think it would be wiser to stay in Hobart overnight before an early morning flight out. Two nights on Bruny should be good.

Luigi

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,076 posts
1,390 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self Drive, 13 Days - Too Much?

Hi,

Your itinerary looks excellent. I also would suggest staying in Hobart before your early morning flight.

3. Re: Self Drive, 13 Days - Too Much?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2014, 06:38