We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question on National Park Pass

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Question on National Park Pass

Hi there,

We are going to spend one night at the cradle mountain lodge. We have our own car therefore we do to need to take the shuttle bus. Do we still need to buy the national parks pass to get in? We also plan to go to Russell falls, should we get the daily pass or the holiday pass? We are travelling with a 3 yrs old therefore we won't be doing a lot of hiking.

Thanks,

Candice

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,343 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question on National Park Pass

You need to buy the Parks pass to enter any National Park. The National Parks shop website is a schemozzle at the moment, but the pass that you can buy online is the 8 week vehicle pass (formerly called the Holiday Pass) on this page: https:/…

It entitles your car and its passengers to enter any national park, including Cradle Mountain and Mount Field (Russel Falls).

Whether you can drive into Cradle Mountain park depends on the whim of the boom gate, not on whether you have any particular kind of pass. Once the boom gate decides that the carpark at Dove Lake is full, it won't allow you in and you must use the shuttlebus anyway. The cost of the shuttle is covered by the 8 week vehicle pass (formerly called the Holiday Pass). The Dove Lake carpark fills very quickly each morning with day walkers and so it's rarely possible to drive there in summer.

Luigi

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Question on National Park Pass

Hi Luigi,

Thank you for your prompt reply! If I purchase the pass online, i will receive an exchange voucher for the vehicle pass and still need to redeem the pass at the first visitors centre. In that case, can I simply buy the pass at the Cradle Mountain visitors centre? Since I'm renting a car and don't have the vehicle registration no.

Any possibility to resell the pass to other visitors since I'm only spending 7days in Tasmania and its a waste to buy an 8 week pass?

Thanks,

Candice

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,343 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question on National Park Pass

Yes, you can buy it at Cradle Mountain.

I wonder if it has ever occurred to the Parks folk that people might want to on-sell a pass, and have they worked out how to tie it to a vehicle registration number to circumvent that?

4. Re: Question on National Park Pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2014, 05:18