We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggest / Fine-tune 10-day Tasmania itenary with 2 kids

B S
Sydney, Australia
9 posts
Save Topic
Suggest / Fine-tune 10-day Tasmania itenary with 2 kids

Hi all,

We are a family of 4 (kids are 6.5 years and 3 years). Planning a road trip to Tasmania in mid-February 2014.

We will be flying from Sydney to Launceston, rent a car at Launceston and drive to Hobart via western Tasmania. We have drawn up an itenary as per below. Kids are used to travelling in car for 3-4 hours.

Please suggest number of days required at each location.

Arrive Launceston, hire car, Visit following places in vicinity:

- Cable glide

- Beaconsfield mines

- Seahorse World

- Cataract Gorge

Drive Launceston to Cradle Mountain. Visit following places on the way:

- Trowunna Wildlife Park

- Honey Farm

- Enchanted Walk

Which city should we stay at in Cradle Mountain, if doing all above ?

Then move on to Queenstown

- Nelson Falls

- Wilderness Railway round trip to Strahan

We are unsure if we should then go to Strahan or miss it and drive onto Hobart ?

If we go to Strahan we might do the Gordon Cruise and the play "The ship that never was", but it all depends on available days.

Drive from Queenstown/Strahan to Hobart

- Any notable attractions on the drive to Hobart, without too much of a deviation ?

At Hobart/Surrounds

- Remarkable Cave

- Mt Nelson Lookout

- Shot Tower

- Train Park

- Mt. Wellington

- Port Arthur

Based on above, could you suggest

1) Any changes to the itenary as outlined above ?

2) Number of days to stay at each place. We have about 10 days at our disposal.

3) Would there be much changes to itenary if we decide to rent a campervan instead of a car ?

Thanks for reading and your suggestions

Edited: 30 November 2013, 08:22
Cradle Mountain
Forests, Mountains, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Waterfalls
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
28,112 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggest / Fine-tune 10-day Tasmania itenary with 2 kids

Spend two days in Launceston. I'm not sure that cable hang gliding (the top of a cliff at an old quarry) is the place for young kids. If you really like that kinda thing, Hollybank is probably preferable. www.treetopsadventure.com.au/ The museum is especially good for kids and I like Pearn's Steamworld at Westbury.

"Which city should we stay at in Cradle Mountain?" There are no cities at or near Cradle :) Stay at a place at Cradle Mountain. It will have an address in Cradle Mountain Road if it's at Cradle Mountain.

IMO, there is no point going via Queenstown, unless you go to Strahan. There's no point going to Strahan unless you do the Gordon River cruise. The Wilderness Railway is still not operating. Nelson Falls is probably best left until the day you do the long (5 hour) drive to Hobart from Strahan. The Franklin River walk also breaks the long drive and the Wall in the Wilderness at Derwent Bridge is a must see. You could also stop at Lake St Clair.

You'd need a couple of nights at Strahan.

Take a look at the Top 10 Must Sees on the Hobart forum page for things to see and do in Hobart. If you go to Mount Wellington, Mount Nelson is an anti-climax.

In addition to the train park, you could try the pirate ship park - Princes Park at the southern end of Castray Esplanade. And there's a real train stranded at Margate.

You could spend a few days at Hobart.

Also go to Tahune Airwalk in the Huon Valley and to Port Arthur.

I would not rent a campervan unless you are an avid fan of campervans and already do it regularly..

Luigi

B S
Sydney, Australia
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggest / Fine-tune 10-day Tasmania itenary with 2 kids

Thanks Luigi A.

I have more questions ...

Day 1: Arrive Launceston from Sydney, pickup car, check-in hotel etc. Visit Beaconsfield Mine Museum & Seahorse world (depending on daylight hours)

Day 2: Cable hang gliding* and look around Cataract Gorge

Day 3: Depart Launceston for Strahan

Day 3: Arrive Strahan

Visit attractions en-route (including Enchanted Walk)

Day 4: Gordon River Cruise & "The ship that never was"

Day 5: Depart Strahan for Queenstown

Day 6: Arrive Queenstown and do local sightseeing/Nelson Falls

Day 7: Wilderness Railway** and depart for Hobart (Railway arrives back at Queenstown at 12:30pm)

Derpart Queenstown around 2-3 pm for Hobart and visit Wall in the Wilderness. Late arrival at Hobart.

Day 7: Arrive Hobart at night.

Day 8: Tahune Airwalk , one of the kids parks (maybe Shot Tower)

Day 9: Port Arthur, Remarkable cave etc.

Day 10: Caldew Park Playground (Train park), local shopping etc.

Day 11: Return Sydney

2 nights in Lauceston

2 nights in Strahan

2 nights in Queenstown

4 nights in Hobart

I know I have missed some items from original post (Mt. Wellington, Trowunna Park), but this is the best itenary I could make up using Google. Any major drawbacks you can pick from above (apart from a late drive from Queenstown to Hobart)

Thanks again for reading

* Mrs. picked Cable hang gliding over Hollybank. We shall be doing Tahune Airwalk later on as well.

** Re-opening in January 2014

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
28,112 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggest / Fine-tune 10-day Tasmania itenary with 2 kids

I hope that the West Coast Wilderness Railway opens soon. The latest news release says a start date is "pencilled in" for January. ... That means "Maybe". www.dier.tas.gov.au/abt_railway/latest_news

I would check closer to the date on that website. If it's not operating, you may have difficulty filling two days in Queenstown.

The hang gliding activity could still be rethought also.

4. Re: Suggest / Fine-tune 10-day Tasmania itenary with 2 kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2014, 06:18