We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days in Tasmania - best way to spend it??

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
2 days in Tasmania - best way to spend it??

Hello!

I'll be taking a two week class in Melbourne, and am looking to spend the weekend in between hiking in Tasmania! I am not an avid hiker, but am in good shape, and will be traveling with others that share the same description. I'd just like to be able to see the rainforest and countryside, and maybe hike down to a beach. Really, I'd just like the opportunity to go exploring, without trying to get too crazy, or encouter anything too dangerous.

Is it a good idea to get a tour guide, or can someone recommend a good tour company that does day hikes?

I am also open to other suggestions of how else to spend the weekend! Someone had recommended i go to Salamanca markets,but I'm much more interested in seeing the natural landscape that Tasmania has to offer rather than doing some crowded shopping.

Thank you!

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,694 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days in Tasmania - best way to spend it??

This page on walking tours is a good start point: tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g255096-c51320/Tas…

However, I think you'll find that most of the walks on that page are three or more days.

Down the bottom of that page is a link to the National Park Service's 60 Short Walks guide. One or several of them may suit you, but you would need to rent a car to get to them.

You could browse through a few of the links to day Tour companies on this page, but I think there offerings involve less exercise than you describe: tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g255097-s407/Hobar…

Luigi

joancollins69
Level Contributor
122 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days in Tasmania - best way to spend it??

not a hike but a great adventure and well worth it esp front of the boat http://www.brunyisland.org.au/

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,184 posts
1,433 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days in Tasmania - best way to spend it??

Another option is to explore the Freycinet National Park.

http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/?base=3363

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 days in Tasmania - best way to spend it??

Thank you for the replies!! I have been lookiing cloesly at the Freycinet National Park, and my main concern is the distance from the airport. Since I am only there for 2 days, I don't want to spend too much time traveling back and forth, is this a valid concern? or is there a better airport to fly into?

thanks again!

Edited: 26 December 2013, 16:50
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,694 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 days in Tasmania - best way to spend it??

There are two main airports: Hobart and Launceston. Freycinet is about 2.5 hours drive away from each of them.

6. Re: 2 days in Tasmania - best way to spend it??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2014, 06:19