We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 day Trip report for Tassie

Melbourne, Australia
6 posts
Save Topic
4 day Trip report for Tassie

HI all,

Below is the trip report for a 4 day trip to Tasmania. Hope this would ease some one planning for a Tassie trip.

Day 1: Flew from Melbourne to Launceston. Hired a car (prebooked) and started the trip. First visited Cataract Gorge. It is really a beautiful place in the heart of the city and we were glad to begin the fist day of the trip. Did the chair lift and strolled around the gardens.

Map directions: Set your GPS to basin road from Launceston airport.

Next we headed towards the lavender farms. (296 Gillespies road, Nabowla)

Then visited the Sea horse world and Platypus house (200 flinders street, beauty point)

then we took rest for the night at batman fawker inn (Launceston). A number of restaurants are available close to the accommodation so we had no problems in finding food.

Coles is nearby too : Address (128 wellington street, Launceston)

Gas station: Address (31 wellington street)

Day 2: Visited cradle mountain. Drove till the visitor centre and bought the national park pass worth 60$ which will give access to all the national parks including the cradle shuttle..

we did the enchanted walk, pencil pine falls and the dove lake circuit. one beats the other with their charms and dove lake is a must do. very scenic.

GAs stations are available on the way at :

3 springs street, sheffield

54 Main street , sheffield

138 Emubay road, Deloraine

29 Bass highway, Deloraine

In the return trip from Cradle we visited the King solomon caves at Molecreek. A stunning view of

the actively growing caves formed around 2000 years ago. A must visit place for all .

Gas station is also nearby at 330 Mayberry road, Mayberry if one needs fuel returning from the caves.

We stayed the night at the same hotel.

Day 3:

Started early at 7 Am from the hotel and headed towards East coast to visit the Freycinet National park. (The national park pass allows access to it)

we did the wine glass bay look out, wine glass bay beach walk, visited sleepy bay, honey moon bay (both are nearby).

Then visited the cape tourville another stunning look out point. (accessible by car)o

Note: Drinking water is scarcely available and hence people travelling with children are advised to carry their own bottle of water. Mosquitoes are always accompanying the travellers which is horrible but you cant avoid them. So be cautious before you begin your walk.

What else is available in coles bay:

Pizza at 6 Garnet avenue

Fuel at the Esplanade

Accomodation: We stayed at the Swansea holiday park: (2 bridge street, Swansea)

Day 4: STarted early from the hotel and headed towards the Mt field national park (approx 200 Kms from swansea).Fuel available at Franklin street, Swansea.

Visited the famous Russell falls, horse shoe falls and we also did the tall tree walks.. A range of other walks are also available.

From there we headed to Mt wellington, a must do for all of those visiting Tassie. The mountain pinnacle will provide the stunning views of entire hobart city and you will be blown away for sure.

Thanks for taking your time.

Cheers,

Bhas.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,553 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 day Trip report for Tassie

Thanks for the report - I'm heading to Tas in Feb and am really looking forward to it.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
28,116 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 day Trip report for Tassie

Thanks for the trip report, Bhas2013.

I'm sure others may find your street addresses helpful. However, I caution against using your address for Cataract Gorge. Basin Road is where locals would go to swim in the pool, but the natural entrance to the gorge off Trevallyn Road at the eastern end of the gorge is far more scenic and much more convenient to the city centre.

Forest of Dean
Level Contributor
1 post
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 day Trip report for Tassie

Thanks for this very interesting - Hobart hardly included.

We are currently on Sunshine Coast but are thinking of going to Tasmania on jan 2 until returning to melbourne for flight to UK on jan 9th.

Any suggestions for expansion please.

Kyogle, Australia
Level Contributor
600 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 day Trip report for Tassie

Great report. You sure did some traveling during your four days, but saw heaps. It is a wonderful place with so many different aspects to see.

Cheers

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,557 posts
1,597 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 day Trip report for Tassie

thanks for sharing your excellent TR ! I enjoyed reading it.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
16,018 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 day Trip report for Tassie

Thanks for taking the time to post a report, including petrol station locations is a good idea, good advice about taking drink bottles too.

A question for the Tasmanians, are mosquitoes really a big problem? I have visited twice and don't remember being troubled by them, but I visited in autumn and spring, perhaps it was too cold?

QLD
Level Contributor
147 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 day Trip report for Tassie

I've only ever noticed mossies at Freycinet on the walk up to the wineglass bay lookout. There were heaps of them but also hundreds of people so can't blame them for trying to have a feed! If you keep walking and dont stay still for too long it's fine.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
28,116 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 day Trip report for Tassie

I think the mozzies come across on the ferry for the best weather in February. :)

Launceston...
Level Contributor
127 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 day Trip report for Tassie

Mozzies are a problem in Tassie (I am a born and raised Tassie lass) but then, my husband hardly gets bothered by them! (That's because they eat me!). It's Austrlaia, we have mozzies and flies. By the way, I think parking at Basin car park is the way to go in summer, it can be hard to get parked on the Trevallyn side.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 day Trip report for Tassie

You packed in a lot in your trip! Pretty much did what I did in twice the length, although I went to Port Arthur and Ben Lomond and didn't see the East coast. I also went to Devonport. I'll have to go back there.