We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

21 Day Itinerary help

Queensland...
Level Contributor
132 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
21 Day Itinerary help

Well, I've booked the car hire and accommodation in Hobart and Cradle Mountain and now I'm attempting to work out all the other the bits. I found a suggested 21 day road trip on a Tasmanian web site "Go behind the scenery" and printed it out some weeks ago - don't ask for a link because I haven't been able to find it again! My trip below is basically a copy. I'm now wondering if we should be taking more time around the East coast and less around Strahan?

Is there any point in staying overnight in Port Arthur, rather than a day trip from Hobart? I don't want to do the ghost tour.

We're a 60 year old couple - mainly interested in the national parks, the fauna, food and wine we don't get in Qld, a bit of the history.

The Cradle Mtn accommodation dates can be changed without incurring any fees, but we may not get as good a deal.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

1 Sunday, 9 February 2014 Hobart - Arrive 1pm, Salamanca, Battery Point

2 Monday, 10 February 2014 Hobart - Mona, Mt Wellington

3 Tuesday, 11 February 2014 Hobart - day trip Bruny Island

4 Wednesday, 12 February 2014 Port Arthur

5 Thursday, 13 February 2014 Swansea - Coles Bay/Wineglass Bay

6 Friday, 14 February 2014 overnight Bicheno?

7 Saturday, 15 February 2014 St Helens

8 Sunday, 16 February 2014 Launceston

9 Monday, 17 February 2014 Launceston

10 Tuesday, 18 February 2014 Cradle mountain

11 Wednesday, 19 February 2014 Cradle mountain

12 Thursday, 20 February 2014 Burnie or Wynyard

13 Friday, 21 February 2014 Stanley

14 Saturday, 22 February 2014 Smithton

15 Sunday, 23 February 2014 Corinna

16 Monday, 24 February 2014 Strahan

17 Tuesday, 25 February 2014 Strahan

18 Wednesday, 26 February 2014 Strahan

19 Thursday, 27 February 2014 Tarraleah

20 Friday, 28 February 2014 return car pm

21 Saturday, 1 March 2014 markets in morning, fly home 1:30pm

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,319 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 21 Day Itinerary help

>>Is there any point in staying overnight in Port Arthur, rather than a day trip from Hobart? I don't want to do the ghost tour.<<

If you're continuing north the next day you may as well stay overnight rather than backtracking part of the route the next day. And there's more to the Tasman Peninsula than just Port Arthur.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
11,798 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 21 Day Itinerary help

Hi peal,

IMO pre-made itineraries are OK, but are aimed at the ones who have no idea of what they want to see, or haven’t done much research.

3 weeks is a wonderful amount of time to spend in Tasmania, and will allow you to see most of the state.

Going through your itinerary above, like MacKnee, IMO the Tasman Peninsula is one of the major jewels, and is well worth spending as much time as you can, and I would recommend some changes as shown below.

Days 1, 2 & 3 are OK

Day 4, I would add Day 5.

Days 6 & 7 I would base in Bicheno.

Day 8 I would spend in St Helens

Days 9 & 10 for Launceston

Days 11 & 12 for Cradle Mountain

Days 13 & 14 base in Stanley

Days 15 & 16 Corinna

Days 17, 18 & 19 base in Strahan, only if you intend to do a cruise and the railway

Day 20 stay in Hobart

Day 21 fly home

Have a read of the Top questions about Tasmania, top right of your screen, especially “TOURING by car”

tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g255096-c119432/Ta…

Safe travels - Robert

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 21 Day Itinerary help

My gut feel is that you're spending too much time on the west coast and insufficient time in the south (Hobart) and around Launceston.

Echoing Rob's words, a canned itinerary may or may not take you to the places you want to see. I'd spend a bit of time browsing through the Top questions on the right of this page - especially the ones that relate to your interests. taking food as an example, the vast majority of the Fine Food places are NOT on the west coast.

And the West Coast Wilderness Railway is not operating from Strahan at the moment - only a half-way trip out of Queenstown.

Without being too cynical, i think your itinerary is based substantively on the location of Federal Hotels-owned properties. I'd do some more research on the things to see and do to interest you, rather than using someone else's itinerary.

Luigi

Queensland...
Level Contributor
132 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 21 Day Itinerary help

Thanks everyone for the comments. I'll change Port Arthur to 2 nights -

Day 4 & 5 : Wed & Thurs, 12-13 February 2014 Port Arthur

and

Day 11 & 12 - Cradle Mtn

Maybe stay 2 nights in Hobart at the end and do day trip?

Luigi, your comment -"Without being too cynical, i think your itinerary is based substantively on the location of Federal Hotels-owned properties" probably explains the west coast bias. It does suggest hotels to stay in, though the couple I looked at don't mention a specific hotel chain.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 21 Day Itinerary help

You'll easily fill two days on the Tasman Peninsula. More info here: http://www.tasmanregion.com.au/

And have a browse through the Top Questions on the Hobart forum for things to see and do there. Again, two days will be easy to fill.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,798 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 21 Day Itinerary help

peal I'm a blow in from Brisbane, and one thing I have found about living Tasmania, you won't get bored, there's so much to see, do and eat (my goodness the food is good). Hobart and the Tasman Peninsula are great places to base yourself, in August my better and I half spent 4 full days on the Tasman Peninsula, and 3 full days in Hobart, and we wanted to stay longer, and I can honestly say we have been to both at least 7 to 8 times in 9 years.

Read everything you can get your hands on, especially the topics under the "Top questions about Tasmania". Most of which have been written by Luigi, and are full of fantastic information from those who have no financial interest in places to stay or visit other than promoting Tasmania as one of the most beautiful places on the planet.

Robert

Queensland...
Level Contributor
132 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 21 Day Itinerary help

Thanks guys for the help, & Robert you probably have noticed Brisbane is 37 Deg C, and predicted 41 Deg C tomorrow - I wish I was in Tas now!

Cradle...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,798 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 21 Day Itinerary help

Yep, and I have smile on my face as we're going to hit an unbearable high of 17c tomorrow :o)

Queensland...
Level Contributor
132 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 21 Day Itinerary help

Still planning this trip, just haven't had the time to really research it - leaving this Sunday. Have booked some accommodation, so still time to make changes.

HOBART (3 nights) Accom Booked

Port Arthur (2 nights) Accom Booked

Coles Bay (2 nights) Accom Booked

Launceston (3 nights)

Cradle mountain (2 nights) Accom Booked

Ulverstone? (1 night?)

Stanley (2 nights)

Strahan (2 nights)

HOBART (2 nights)

I'm wondering if it's worthwhile staying at Ulverstone. I like the idea of seeing the wombats in Narawantapu National Park. The alternative is to have 3 nights in Hobart at the end and do more day trips up the centre of Tas.

We're planning to do the river cruise at Arthur River (day trip from Stanley seems feasible), plus staying at Strahan and the river cruise there.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 21 Day Itinerary help

Ulverstone is not really handy to Narawntapu. The closest accommodation (to the west) is Port Sorell and (to the east) Beaconsfield/Green's Beach'Clarence Point neck of the woods. It may be just as convenient to return to Launceston after an evening at Narawntapu.