We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1-2 Weeks in Tasmania

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
92 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
1-2 Weeks in Tasmania

Hi everyone,

I'm planning a short trip into Tasmania in late February, and wanted to get some recommendations. I have very little planned so far, so am pretty flexible with ideas. My limitation: I have ~4 weeks for both Tasmania and New Zealand, so I'm trying to spread them out accordingly, with a little more time in NZ.

I'm mostly going for three things:

Photography (landscapes, unique locations, animals)

Camping (wild/solo camping if it's allowed)

Animals and nature that's unique to Tasmania

I always try to pick a cool day trip of sorts wherever I go, to seek out an experience I've never had. Any recommendations on something unique (not just kayaking, bungie jumping or skydiving, which I could do anywhere)?

I'd love to hitchhike around, but since I have a limited schedule I understand if that's not plausible. If I need to, I can rent a car.

Any itinerary ideas are much appreciated!

Thanks!

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,109 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1-2 Weeks in Tasmania

You will need to rent a car. Tasmania is a big place with a small population and it is not feasible to use public transport anywhere excepty between the mjor cities. The kind of places you want to go will require your on transport.

Start by taking a look at the Top Questions on the right of this page. If you rely on a "smart" phone, you will have to move ton a proper PC to be able to see them.

Among other things, they explain how to see our unique wildlife like Tasmanian devils, platypus and penguins and where to go to see the ancient Huon Pine trees.

I recoomend that you consider doing some of the longer walks. The wilder places are more than a day trip away. This page is useful: tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g255096-c51320/Tas…

For something unusual, there are wilderness rafting tours. None of them are for a single day: tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g255096-c173180/Ta…

If single-day activities are of paramount importance, have a look here: http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/?base=1315

And from that page, you can find the entire National Parks website.

Solo hiking/camping is allowed, but is generally considered unwise in the remoter areas.

Luigi

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
92 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1-2 Weeks in Tasmania

That's really helpful, thank you! I'll take a look at the stickies and links.

As for the remote camping being 'unwise', is that just because of the inherent danger of being away from people, or because of dangerous wild animals and such?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,109 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1-2 Weeks in Tasmania

Yeah, you could get licked to death by a wallaby. :)

OR, it's the inherent danger thing in a remote place where help is a long way away and the weather can change very rapidly, making a pleasant jaunt into a miserable disaster.

4. Re: 1-2 Weeks in Tasmania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2015, 07:18