We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tasmania in 5 days

Toronto
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Tasmania in 5 days

The wife and I are going to travel through Tasmania in the fall. Starting in Hobart, we are looking at the following;

Day 1 Salamanaca market, harbour, historic buildings. Skipping MONA gallery.

DAy 2: Drive to Port Arthur to see Tesselated pavement, Tasman ARch, Pirates Bay. Overnight in Port Arthur (B&B hopefully).

Day 3: Tasman Island boat tour. Stay in Port Arthur or back to Hobart.

Day 4: Wineglass Bay (plane tour maybe). Drive to Bicheno

Day 5: Drive to Launceston. Check out sites (?, suggestions). lunch, then drive to Mount Field, taking inland route. Drive to Hobart, overnight

Day 6: Fly to Melbourne early a.m.

Does this sound like the best use of time for sites where we are driving? Driving to the west coast of the island would take too long, so we opted to drive up the east coast, then central. We chose Mount Field, as it looks quicker to get from lower forest to the high alpine peaks in the space of 1 day. The bigger parks in the Tasmanian plateau look like you really need a good 2 days due to the hugeness of that park.

Thanks for feedback. Hope to meet fellow TripAdvisors while passing through there, and the rest of Australia that we are going to see.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,106 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tasmania in 5 days

It is generally OK.

Day 1 needs to be a Saturday if you are to see Salamanca markets.

It is possible to do the Tasman Island boat trip and visit Port Arthur in a single day. the boat tour company website does this out of Hobart. If you stayed on the Tasman Peninsula that night, it would be easy. And you definitely should not return to Hobart if you intend to go to Freycinet National Park and Wineglass Bay the next day.

Conversely, Day 5 is too far in one day. It involves about 7.5 hours driving. Options to fix it are to drop Launceston entirely, or else drop Mount Field and return to Hobart and depart from Launceston. At the moment, you are going to two places that day (Launceston and Mount Field) that you don't have time to see. Or, break it in two (staying overnight at Launceston) and use the extra day you could save on the Tasman Peninsula.

Luigi

Toronto
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tasmania in 5 days

Luigi, thanks for the feedback. We have decided to drop Launceston. Had I known it had an airport, we might have flown out of there to Melbourne.

Sooo... Revised itenerary:

Day 1 (Saturday). Land in Hobart in the morning. Check out Salamenaca Market. Wander around town. I am told the Brewery is worth a visit.

Day 2 (Sunday). Mount Field. then overnight in Port Arthur or somewhere close.

Day 3 (Monday) Tasman Island in the morning. Drive to Bicheno . Check out penguins in the evening.

Day 4 (Tuesday): Freycinet Park and Wineglass Bay. Overnight in area.

Day 5 (Wednesday): Drive back to Hobart, passing through Oatlands for a spell.

Day 6: (Thursday) Fly to Melbourne. (early)

Others, please chime in on what to check out along the way. Want to enjoy the unique beauty that Tasmania has to offer.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,106 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tasmania in 5 days

That's an improvement, I think.

Day 2 is now a day trip to Mount Field, which is a good idea. You could visit Bonorong to see devils on the way back. Ypou may have time to get all the way to the Tasman Peninsula, but you could also look at staying somewhere on the way like Sorell.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tasmania in 5 days

Hi,

I live in Hobart and would not suggest you stay in Sorell. Not sure why this was suggested as Sorell was once a country market town and now just a part of Hobart suburbia. It's nice but not at all picturesque. Would hate to see you waste your time there and it prompted me to write the following-

Day 1 - Salamanca Market, Cascade Brewey (note it closes 4pm), drive to the top of Mt Wellington for the view on a clear day ( about 1 half hour return including a decent stop for a look) take a stroll around Battery Point or visit MONA on the ferry that you get on just near Salamanca.

Day 2 - I'd walk around the harbour if you ran out of time on the Saturday and then make my way to Port Arthur on day 2 - by the time you drive to Port Arthur, stop at the tessellated pavement, Devils Arch, even take a stroll along the very easy cliff top walk in Eaglehawk Neck( message if you want details - can be tricky to locate the beginning of the walk), visit the actual Port Arthur site - this is a whole day trip. Take the Ghost Tour at night. Make sure you join a tour at Port Arthur and go to the isle of the dead. Drive past the Port Arthur site and visit Remarkable Cave- only a short drive beyond the historical site. Overnight Port Arthur.

Day 3 - on the way to Port Arthur you will have seen there is a Devil Park. You could stop there not he way to Bicheno if you want; stop at the quirky Kate's Berry Farm just outside of Swansea on the way to Bicheno, overnight Bicheno ( this is a very small coastline town) if you're willing to forgo the penguins you could get off the Tasman Island Cruise and drive to Coles Bay and be there by late afternoon

Day 4 Coles Bay - try and stay right in Coles Bay - also check out Stayz for accommodation

Day 5- return to Hbt; if you use Google Maps you will see that there is a route to that follows the Lake leake Hwy. make sure you go to Ross, there is a beautiful convict bridge there, a lovely streets cape and somewhere for afternoon tea. Continue down to Oatland, then to Hbt. I recommend Ross as you won't be able to fit in Richmond with this itinerary.

Mt Field is lovely but time spent on the East Coast is well worth it. Depending on how long you are in Melb. you can go on a tour to Phillip Island and see Fairy Penguins.

Hope that helps

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,106 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tasmania in 5 days

Sweptaway, you're back!!! Gosh I've missed your joyful input!

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,419 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tasmania in 5 days

If you are looking for a B&B near Port Arthur I can recommend Storm Bay Guest House near White Beach. We were there just a couple of nights ago and it was great. Friendly hosts and a killer view.

I'll leave commenting on the itinerary to the experts but don't miss the Tasman Island cruise - it was awesome.

Edited: 16 February 2014, 06:14
Toronto
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tasmania in 5 days

Thanks everyone for the advice. It was very helpful in choosing what to see.

We did arrive in Hobart on Saturday, so did the Salamanaca market.

Day 2 we visited Mount Field, top to bottom. Wow, what a park! The same day we drove to Nubeena to stay at Parson's Bay resort (great lodge). It was a long drive but put us on the doorstep of Port Arthur without the higher lodging prices that seemed to be through Port Arthur. Day 3 we did the early Tasman Island tour (excellent, excellent, even were surrounded by dolphins at one point), Tesselated pavement, Doo Town, then on to Swansea. Day 4 we climbed the Hazards to get an excellent view of Wineglass Bay. Didn't do the penguin tour, as the numbers were low. Day 5 was a drive through Ross and Oatlands. Saw all the sites mentioned.

This gave us a taste of high altitude Tasmania without driving to the central plateau, the midlands, and then the coastline where the most spectacular views are to be had.

We loved the more laid back pace of life of the whole state. If we ever return to visit, it will be for more then 5 days.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,106 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tasmania in 5 days

It's good to hear you enjoyed your trip. :)

9. Re: Tasmania in 5 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2015, 05:15