We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR the highs and lows of our Tassie trip

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,608 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
JBR the highs and lows of our Tassie trip

Summary of our trip – 4 adults, 12 days March 2nd – March 13th 2014

Flew with Jetstar ADL-MEL, MEL – Launceston

Returned Jetstar Launceston – MEL and Tiger MEL-ADL

All flights were on time.

Day 1 ADL-Launceston and o/night at Grand Chancellor Launceston. Dinner at Fermented Evenings as recommended by Luigi (thanks Luigi – it was great)

Day 2-5 Bay of Fires walk with Life’s an Adventure ( more about that later)

Day 5 o/night at Grand Chancellor again and dinner at Navarro’s (Italian and wonderful!)

Day 6 Picked up car from Eropcar and drove to Coles Bay. Looked around the Freycinet NP for a couple of hours before checking into Nautica but Nice (more later)

Day 7 Walked the Wineglass Bay Hazards Beach walk (14kms by our GPS). Beautiful walk though last part is a bit rough and it was quite a hot day.

Day 8 Drove to Mole Creek. Arrived too early to book into Blackwood Park Cottages (more later) so visited Marakoopa Cave. Nice but not exceptional. Self catered for dinner as pub was booked out with a huge family reunion

Day 9 Up early to walk to Walls of Jerusalem – fantastic walk but pushing it a bit for 2 60 pluses to do in one day. Very tired coming back. Dinner at the Mole Creek Pub.

Day 10 Drove to Corinna in the Tarkine to commence our 3 day package which included all meals, a day cruise on the Pieman River and another boat trip to Lovers Falls.

This is a fabulous beautiful wilderness area and we loved it to bits. We did a couple of short walks through the rainforest and took some amazing photos.

Day 12 back to Launceston to catch our flight home.

Comments on Accommodation

We nicknamed the Grand Chancellor the “semi Grand” because it was just that bit run down in our unrefurbed rooms. Breakfast was extremely good though and the beds were comfortable kings.

Nautica but Nice at Coles Bay was a small beach side cabin set up with 2 double rooms. Very comfortable, bright and clean with lots of quirky nautical touches.

Blackwood Park Cottages were outstanding – set on a picturesque farm and including every facility one could want (breakfast was included) Two double rooms and 2 bathrooms.

Our accommodation at Corinna was basic but large and comfortable.

Other

I found the 3 day Bay of Fires walk a bit “samey”. Three days of beach walking was a bit much for me especially as the last day was both very hot and very windy and walking through deep sand. Our 2 young guides/cooks were lovely and very professional and the food was plentiful and good. I was however horrified by the toilets we were expected to use on the first day (filthy, smelly long drops with no hand washing facilities) and our first night was in a very basic tent with no shower facilities. NP Tasmania really needs to lift its game here. The second night was in a comfortable beach shack with a proper bed. The 3 hour drive to and from Launceston was in a very uncomfortable mini bus.

Coles Bay is a community divided. Most of the businesses are owned by one person who tried a very dodgy rip off over our drinks at the pub – and subsequently lost our business totally. We were told later he doesn’t like tourists. This person also owns the fish and chip shop where we bought dinner on the first night paying $10 for a box of chips and for me 3 pieces of fish no bigger than 2 inches square. This person also charges $2.00 per litre for fuel. Most expensive fuel in Tasmania we were told. Tip: when in Coles Bay shop at the Post Office shop up the hill. Much better all round

All together a wonderful holiday but a bit tainted by poor service and facilities on occasions.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JBR the highs and lows of our Tassie trip

Very useful and interesting report Nozzie, I enjoyed hearing about your trip... I'll get back to Tassie some time. We've been tempted again recently but we're being frugal.. or trying to be anyhow. $10 for the food you describe seems rather over the odds.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,203 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JBR the highs and lows of our Tassie trip

Thanks for JBR Nozzie, just what Coles Bay needs, a major property stakeholder not liking tourists.

Glad you enjoyed your trip, and great info for others intending to visit.

Rob

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JBR the highs and lows of our Tassie trip

Good all round read, nozzie. Luigi obviously knows his food. He recommended Navarro's to me and we loved it. Sounds as though you enjoyed most of your trip. Its rarely 100%

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,608 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JBR the highs and lows of our Tassie trip

Yes Rob - he also owns the caravan park which we inspected and thought it looked rather unkempt.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JBR the highs and lows of our Tassie trip

.. A caravan park owner who doesn't like tourists.... now that's a hint he might need a change of profession...

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,608 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JBR the highs and lows of our Tassie trip

Yep!

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,069 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JBR the highs and lows of our Tassie trip

Sounds like a great trip.

A note re Nat park facilities- they definitely should not be dirty, however, drop toilets are a fixture in many parks as is the lack of water facilities. Nat Parks are very underfunded and its hard to get money to allocate to all these things with so many other pressures for money. It just reminds me that when we have to pay for parks we all should contribute and not treat as free which many people do because they think they can get away with it. OK thats my rant over !

We camp in many places with no toilets at all ;}

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,608 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JBR the highs and lows of our Tassie trip

Well there were other parks far more remote than Bay of Fires (eg Walls of Jerusalem) which had beautifully maintained composting toilets - and I travel to many many very remote areas all over Australia and in the last 30 years have never experienced anything quite so revolting as the Bay of Fires toilets.

And there is no excuse for not having a rainwater tank with water for hand washing. Our Heysen Trail here in SA traverses some of the most dry and unforgiving country on this continent but we (volunteers ) have set up campsites with rainwater tanks available for cooking and handwashing every 30 kms or so .

And yes of course we have bush camped too with no toilets and one can deal with it - but in a NP campground no toilet is NOT an option. AND also we were paying $500 per night for this campground with no facilities.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,608 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JBR the highs and lows of our Tassie trip

Should say that was $500 per night EACH!

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: JBR the highs and lows of our Tassie trip

I say what? 500 dollars! How many people?