We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with itinerary

Iowa
Level Contributor
156 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Need help with itinerary

My husband and I will be touring Tasmania in October of this year. We will be arriving on October 13 and leaving for Sydney on October 22. I am planning on flying into Launceston. My husband really wants to go to Narawntapu National Park, so I am trying to figure out where we can stay so that we can be close enough to be at the park around dusk and not have to drive too far in the dark to get to our accommodation. I am thinking about Beauty Point, but I am not sure. Here is what I have planned so far:

October 13 Arrive in Launceston, pick up car, drive to Beauty Point, stay in Beauty Point

go to Seahorse World, tour the area

October 14 Tour Narawntapu park, stay till dusk, stay in Beauty Point

October 15 Drive to Cradle Mountain, stay in Highlander Cabins

October 16 Tour Cradle Mountain park, stay in Highlander Cabins

October 17-20 Drive to Hobart, stay 3 nights. Possible day trips and activities include cruise

around Tasman peninsula, Mount Field, tall ship tour of harbor, Port Arthur

October 21 Make way back to Launceston, tour Cataract Gorge, walk around town

October 22 Leave for Sydney

Does this itinerary seem to work? Or should I fly in to Hobart and rethink everything? I would really appreciate some help. Our main interest is seeing wildlife and we are both 62 years old. We do a lot of walking, but we don't want anything too strenuous. Thank you.

Sara

Sara

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,977 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with itinerary

It's basically a good plan. If the focus is Narawntapu and Cradle Mountain, Launceston is the best choice for arrival.

There is no accommodation close to Narawntapu - as you have discovered. Maybe that's why the wombats like it. :)

The closest accommodation options are Beaconsfield, Beauty Point, Exeter and Clarence Point to the east or Port Sorell and Shearwater to the west. All these towns are very small. So the second problem will then be food. If you are staying at Beauty Point, the restaurant at Tamar Cove motel is truly excellent. I recommend the seafood platter. Carbone's cafe is also good.

Your plans for Hobart are also good. Try to fit in a visit to Bonorong to see Tasmanian devils.

Luigi

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,483 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with itinerary

Hi Sara,

I only have one comment, I don't see the need on 14th to return to Beauty Point, unless you're thinking of the eastern side of the park. The western side is the better side to Narawantapu National Park to visit, and an overnight stay at Latrobe or Devonport would better suite your needs.

http://goo.gl/maps/h721s

If you do decide on Latrobe or Devonport, and you're in to unusual shops, in Latrobe have a look at Reliquaire - http://www.reliquaire.com/ , and just down the road is Anvers Chocolate Factory, great waffles.

http://www.anvers-chocolate.com.au/

Safe travels - Robert

Iowa
Level Contributor
156 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with itinerary

Thank you for the suggestions. I really am rethinking about staying in Beauty Point. I have been struggling with where to stay around Narawntapu. I think we may now fly in on the evening of the 12th and stay in Launceston that night. Then we can get an early start on the 13th to visit the area around Narawntapu. I think I could visit Sea Horse World and have time to do some walks in the park on the 13th. We could revisit the park on the morning of the 14th. It would be more convenient to stay on the west side of the park and I will have an extra day in the Devonport/Latrobe area. Any suggestions for accommodations?

My other question concerns the condition of the roads in the area. After I visit Beauty Point, is it possible to enter the eastern side of the park on a sealed road? I am concerned about the condition of the roads in the area, as I will have a rental car and won't be able to drive on unsealed roads. I need a little help on the best route to take when visiting there. Thank you.

Edited: 01 May 2014, 07:03
Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,483 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with itinerary

Hi sari, are you going to the eastern or western side of Narawantapu National Park, as stated above? the western side is the best side.

Latrobe is limited in its accommodation, and to be honest Devonport would be my choice, have a look at the link below, as there are a range of accommodation that will suit all budgets -

devonporttasmania.travel/accommodation.html

The road in to the western side of Narawantapu National Park is a very good sealed road, with the last few hundred meters have speed bumps. The speed bumps are very low, and will have no affect on your vehicle.

Access to the eastern side of Narawantapu National Park is via a 1.5 kilometre dirt road, the last time I travelled it, it was FAIR, but there are no facilities this side, where the western side has very good facilities, like info centre, toilets, picnic tables etc.

For directions, have a look at the link I posted in the previous post - google maps link

Safe travels - Robert

Edited: 01 May 2014, 07:24
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,977 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help with itinerary

You should stay here: tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g504320-d549…

It's significantly closer than going as far as Latrobe or Devonport and it's seriously nice.

Or if you want something a bit posh, take a look at Hawley House, which is nearby. http://www.hawleyhouse.com.au/

Iowa
Level Contributor
156 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help with itinerary

Thanks so much Rob and Luigi for your suggestions. I am planning to visit the western part of the park and I have booked that accommodation, Luigi. We are really looking forward to our time in Tasmania.

Sara

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,977 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help with itinerary

I hope you enjoy Narawntapu and that lots of wombats come out for you. :))

8. Re: Need help with itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2015, 05:16