We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days August with a toddler - itinerary help!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
7 days August with a toddler - itinerary help!

Hi, we're coming to Tassie for a 7 day winter break at the beginning of August, flying into and out of Launceston. We will have our 18 month old with us, and aren't sure of our itinerary. We don't want to spend the whole time travelling - our priorities are a bit of relaxation and some beautiful nature. I was thinking maybe 3 nights Cradle Mountain, 2 nights Launceston/Tamar Valley and 2 nights St Helens/Bay of Fires - would be very grateful to know whether people think this is a good plan, or whether there are better suggestions? We don't want to do lots of hardcore hiking, but some gentle strolls combined with log fires to warm up afterwards would be very welcome! Thanks in advance.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,694 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 days August with a toddler - itinerary help!

I think it's a very good idea to limit your travelling, so staying in just a few places is a smart move. More relaxing I think.

I would look at making it two nights in Cradle Mountain and three in launceston, however, as i think you'll find much more to do in and around the Tamar valley. cradle is definitely worth visiting, but you';ll run out of stuff to do after a day or so.

And have a look at staying a little further south on the east coast than St helens. i think you'd find more to do around Bicheno and Freycinet National Park. And St Helens is still within an hour's drive to the north anyway.

Luigi

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,355 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 days August with a toddler - itinerary help!

Hi Maubs,

I believe 2 days at Cradle Mt in Winter with a little one is enough. If it snows heavily you're pretty well stuck in the village, and it can get slippery, especially around Dove Lake.

Also, leave your Bay of Fires option open, IMO the east coast relies on good weather. and if it is fine, it's stunning. But like any beach environment, if it's fine, it's a great place to be, if it's bad weather, go somewhere else.

If you decide to go somewhere else, look at the Tasman Peninsula or Hobart, Hobart's only a 2 hour drive from Launceston Airport.

Safe travels - Robert

3. Re: 7 days August with a toddler - itinerary help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2015, 06:16