We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10D9N Self Drive Tasmania Trip in Oct/Nov

Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
10D9N Self Drive Tasmania Trip in Oct/Nov

My partner and I are planning for a 10-days 9-nights self-driving trip to Tasmania at end of Oct. It's our first trip to Tasmania and would only like to drive during day time, if possible. After checking the distances of some places, I am not sure if some of the travelling plans are viable. We would appreciate the experts’ advice and suggestions on our proposed itinerary:

Day 1 - Arrive at Hobart at noon. Pick up car and check in hotel. Plan for a town walkabout.

Day 2 - Salamanca market and Mount Wellington. Stay in Hobart

Day 3 - Huon Valley and Tahune air walk. Stay in Hobart

Day 4 - Port Arthur. Stay in Hobart

Day 5 - Hobart to Bothwell -> Oatlands -> Ross-> Swansea -> Coles Bay/ Wineglass Bay -> Bicheno. Stay in Bicheno

Day 6 - Bicheno -> St Helen -> Bay of Fire -> Scottsdale -> Nabowla -> Launceton. Stay in Launceston

Day 7 - Launceston -> Sheffield -> Mole Creek Cave -> Craddle Mountain. Stay in Craddle Mountain

Day 8 - Craddle Mountain -> Burnie -> Stanley -> Burnie -> Penguin -> Devonport. May stay in Burnie/Penguin/Devonport.

Day 9 - to Launceston. Stay in Launceston

Day 10 - Return car. Depart to Melbourne.

Some questions:

1. Are 8am and 6.30pm bright enough for driving in Oct/Nov?

2. If we were to skip some places in Day 5 due to the long travelling time, should Bothwell (Heritage-listed buildings) and/or Swansea be bypassed?

3. Is it worthwhile to travel from Stanley to Cape Grim in Day 8 just to breathe in some of the freshest air on earth?

Thank you in advance.

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10D9N Self Drive Tasmania Trip in Oct/Nov

Hi DG, day 8 is pretty full, just wondering where you are dropping your car?

Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10D9N Self Drive Tasmania Trip in Oct/Nov

Hi Glenn,

We'll be dropping our car at Launceston airport. Yes, some of the days are quite full and may not be viable. We shall make changes to them accordingly upon getting feedback and suggestions. Thanks.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,021 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10D9N Self Drive Tasmania Trip in Oct/Nov

I think it's a doable trip.

I agree that Day 5 may be a bit long. I would drop Bothwell and concentrate on Oatlands and Ross which have more old buildings to see anyway.

On Day 8, you don'y need to go through Burnie twice. Head west to the MurchisonHighway from Cradle Mountain, then north on the Murchison to Somerset, then west again to Stanley. Then backtrack on the Bass Highway through Burnie to Penguin and Ulverstone, then on to Launceston from there.

The air is fresh enough at Cradle Mountain not to need to go toward Cape Grim, but you could try if you want. :)

Luigi

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10D9N Self Drive Tasmania Trip in Oct/Nov

I'm a bit loathe to discount anything too much of your itinerary. They are all great places. I would, however, like to be settled before 6.30 and I think the air will be just as fresh at Stanley as Cape Grim

Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10D9N Self Drive Tasmania Trip in Oct/Nov

Thanks Glenn & Luigi for the feedback.

We presume Cape Grim doesn't have much to offer other than fresh clean air which is also available elsewhere in Tasmania. Unless we have lots of spare time on hand, which doesn't look like it, we shall axe Cape Grim from our to-do list.

We shall also skip Bothwell. As for penguin watching, we are thinking of catching them at Penguin instead of Bicheno although we understand that the latter has more penguins. But the visitor crowd is also correspondingly more we think.

We also presume that the sky would start to turn dark by 6.30pm in Oct/Nov, making driving a little more challenging for us unfamiliar with the roads there.

Thanks again for the feedback. :)

Edited: 16 May 2014, 07:01
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,021 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10D9N Self Drive Tasmania Trip in Oct/Nov

Yes, there are penguins to be found right along the nort-west coast so you should not have problems at Penguin. There's a link to the guided tours in the Top Question on Where to find Penguins.

Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10D9N Self Drive Tasmania Trip in Oct/Nov

Thanks for the penguins link, Luigi!

Now, our concern is on Day 5. As we understand that Coles Bay/Wineglass Bay would take up at least 2-3 hours exploring, we may really have to do some "express" tours at the other earlier places on the itinerary that day. :(

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,021 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10D9N Self Drive Tasmania Trip in Oct/Nov

Just head north up the Midland Highway through Oatlands ad Ross to Campbell Town. Turn right there onto the B34 to the east coast and Freycinet National Park to see Wineglass Bay.

Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 10D9N Self Drive Tasmania Trip in Oct/Nov

We're fine-tuning our itinerary now.

There would be two National Parks that we would be visiting, viz. Freycinet and Cradle Mountain. So, we're considering whether to get a Holiday Pass (up to 8 weeks) or a Daily Pass (up to 24 hours). A little clarification on the passes is very much appreciated.

1) What does it mean by "up to 24 hours" in the Daily Pass? Does it mean that if a Daily Pass is issued at 4pm on Day 1, its validity is up to 3.59pm on Day 2?

2) Are multiple entries into the parks permissible under the Daily Pass and Holiday Pass as long as they're still valid? The reason of asking is because we may want to enter Cradle Mountain twice if we were to stay outside the park.

3) Binalong Bay (Bay of Fire) is not part of any National Parks, right?

Thanks! :)

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,021 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 10D9N Self Drive Tasmania Trip in Oct/Nov

The legal interpretation of "24 hours" would be as you describe.

You can enter and re-enter as many times as you want within a single day on a day pass. And a Holiday Pass.

The southern end of the Bay of Fires beach near Binalong Bay is not a National Park and a pass is not required.

Luigi