We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July Visit

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,707 posts
201 reviews
Save Topic
July Visit

Yes I know it will be cold..

Just GD and myself from around 2 July.

I'm planning on booking the first night in hobart then 2 nights in Freycinet.

Not sure exactly what we want to do or where we want to go after that. Possibly Cradle Mtn. Plan at this stage is to fly home around 10th July.

I read the comment re snow being a fill accom at Cradle Mountain so do you think i'd be safe to play it by ear (you supply crystal ball please) or should I lock in one night in CM. I'm not sure 2 nights might not be too long for us if the weather is cold, miserable and not snowing!

I'm also not sure how long it will take to get from place to place as GD may bring her bike and ride some bits (avoids car sickness!)

Cradle Mountain
Forests, Mountains, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Waterfalls
Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
13,083 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July Visit

GW, what no PS this year.

I would wing it, the comment >> I read the comment re snow being a fill accom at Cradle Mountain so do you think i'd be safe to play it by ear << is true, but the cause is from locals, which surprised me at first when I moved to this area, but in hindsight, not many I know go to the mountains, unless they're going fishing. But with the snow it's a very last minute thing, like the same day, and mostly if it snows on the weekend, and another reason is the locals get a winter rate, which is quite good.

When my rellies visit from the Big Island, I take some time off, and if it snows they all want to go to Cradle Mountain, and if it's a week day, we haven't had problems securing accommodation, weekends are harder.

As I said earlier, I would wing it, this way you can adjust your trip to the weather, and it does taker longer to drive around Tas than it would with the same mileage on the mainland. If Google says 4 hours, allow around 4.5 to 5.

With regards to GD riding her bike, IMO the only areas where she might get car sickness, is where I wouldn't recommend she ride, at elevation, they're narrow and winding, the east coast is better.

When you're travelling around Tas, you can PM me, as living at elevation, we have a pretty good idea if it will snow a few days out, which should be enough time to get accommodation even if it's a weekend.

If it's miserable, 2 nights can be hard, if it's snowing heavily or very cold, 2 nights can be plenty also, as the tracks can get icy.

Safe travels - Robert

Edited: 25 May 2014, 23:40
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,707 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July Visit

Thanks Robert. Work is getting in the way of life…and GD wants to tick off a new destination

LOL narrow winding and elevation is what she needs! (Don't worry she'll have lights, etc amnd no different to riding in the the Brindabellas or Buffalo! Ok maybe less bikes..

Thanks for the feedback about PM to let me know what the weather may do. I will take you up on that.

We did 3 nights at CM as a honeymoon and it snowed the whole time, great walking but the fireplace was much nicer ;) Not the sort of thing you do with your daughter

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
13,083 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July Visit

>> Thanks for the feedback about PM to let me know what the weather may do. I will take you up on that. << GW, we have 4 different lots of family visiting this winter, and they all want to know when it snows, so when the time comes for their visits, I'm constantly watching 2 forecasting supplier programs, who forecast different scenarios, but when they match, it will snow, so no problems at all about messaging me.

Rob

4. Re: July Visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2015, 06:16