We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self Drive Tasmania in Winter

Tamworth, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Self Drive Tasmania in Winter

Hi,

We have planned/still planning a trip to Tasmania the last weekend of June for 10 nights. We have never been before and have already booked a car to rent.

So far we have booked the first two nights in Hobart, the third at Port Arthur, sixth and seventh at Launceston, Ninth at Cradle Mountain and the Tenth back at Hobart.

I am wondering what the east coast is like this time of year? We are definitely wanting to visit Wineglass Bay and possibly Bay of Fries. We do have two nights spare between Port Arthur and Launceston. Where would be the best place/places to spend our time? I am worried that the east coast won't be as "must see" in winter as it appears to be in summer.

We also have a spare night to visit the north west coast. We are still unsure of where would be best to stay between Burnie, Stanley and Smithton.

We are planning on driving from Cradle Mountain through Queenstown down to Hobart. Does anyone know how easy of a drive this road would be in winter?

Any other helpful tips or must see/do adventures would be very grateful! We are wanting to make the most out of this experience.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,936 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self Drive Tasmania in Winter

The weather is always better on the east coast than anywhere ewlse and you should go there. Spend a night in Bicheno after seeing Freycinet National park, then head to Launceston via St helens, Binalong Bay to see the Bay of Fires beach, then through Scottsdale. There's plenty to see along the way.

Stanley would be my choice on the north-west coast.

The road from Cradle Mountain to Queenstown (mostly along the Murchison Highway) is very good. The road eastward from Queenstown (the Lyell Highway) can be less good in winter. The road over the mountain range immediately east of Queenstown is subject to landslips. This would be mentioned on ABC radio when it happens and everyone knows about it.

The drive from Queenstown to Hobart takes about 3.5 hours.

Luigi

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,949 posts
1,361 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self Drive Tasmania in Winter

Hi,

The Freycinet National Park is lovely & definitely worth a visit.

You do have a options where to stay - Bicheno / Swansea or within the Freycinet National Park as there is plenty of accommodation available around the area.

For additional info - my recent go-list may assist you.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i38962-Swansea_…

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,834 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self Drive Tasmania in Winter

>Freycinet National Park as there is plenty of accommodation available around the area.<<

But plenty of it is also closing for the winter or only open on weekends which TBH surprised me as i thought accom would be easy to come by at this time of year.

It is also the same on the Tasman Peninsula….. spoke with 4 BnB and all are having their own break.

Makes sense business wise,,,,

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self Drive Tasmania in Winter

Hi. We just spent 4 nights in Hobart. Loved it. Highlights were MONA, Mount Wellington and the AMAZING Bonorong wildlife sanctuary. Bonorong was an animal-lovers dream - a lifetime highlight for me.

Abs :)

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
11,862 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self Drive Tasmania in Winter

Hi Kez,

For staying in the northwest, either Stanley or Wynyard would be OK, with a little more leaning to Stanley.

Driving from Cradle Mt to Hobart, as Luigi states it's a good road which can have its problems, and keep an eye out on the BOM warnings, even in June the road has been closed due to snow,

http://www.bom.gov.au/tas/warnings/

With the east coast, why not freewheel these days, the weather can be good in June, but it can also be pretty bad. IMO more time on the Tasman Peninsula is also worth while, or aim for Freycinet and the Bay of Fires area, plot it as you go along and how the weather is performing, I really hope the weather's great for you, the beaches are stunning if it is. On the way to Coles Bay if the weathers with you, you can't beat Friendly Beaches, and further north and just north of Binalong Bay, is a road that takes you to The Gardens, also stunning on a nice day.

If you don't make it to Bonorong, on the way to Cradle Mt via Mole Creek there's a great little reserve called Trowunna, the 11am, 1pm and 3pm tours are the highlight, if there's not a big crowd they let you nurse a small wombat.

Safe travels - Robert

6. Re: Self Drive Tasmania in Winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2015, 06:16