We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 day drive around Tasmania in October

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
12 day drive around Tasmania in October

Hi I have been studying this forum for weeks planning for our trip to Tasmania. Can you have a look and see whether this plan will work or have I added too much in? I am not sure about Day 2 whether we are going to be travelling all day and not have time to sightsee.

Day 1- Arrive 12.30pm Pick up hire car Launceston-St Helens- Bay of Fires - Binalong Bay - St Helens –Bicheno Stay at Bicheno

Day 2 Bicheno- Coles Bay/Wineglass Bay-Swansea-Ross-Oatlands (Carrington Mill) Richmond-Port Arthur Port Arthur Ghost Tour Stay at Port Arthur

Day 3 Port Arthur- tour, cruise to the isle of the Dead –Eaglehawk-Hobart Boat trip around the Tasman Peninsula Eaglehawk Neck – lookout over Pirates Bay, Devils Kitchen, Tasman Arch, the Blowhole and The remarkable Cave. Stay at Hobart

Day 4 Huon Valley – Geeveston-Tahune Air Walk Jet Boat Rides. Stay at Hobart

Day 5 Salamanca Market, Mount Wellington, Cascade, MONA Have a look araound. Stay at Hobart

Day 6 Drive to the top of Mt Wellington -Derwent Bridge -Wall in the Wilderness (hand-carved wall made of pine)-Queenstown. Stay at Queenstown

Day 7 West Coast Wilderness Train 9.00am -1.00pm The Ship that never was 5.30pm. Stay at Strahan

Day 8 Gordon River Cruise 8.30am – 2.15pm Strahan – Cradle Mountain Stay at Cradle Mountain

Day 9 Cradle Mountain- Dove Lake- (via Murchison Hwy and Bass Hwy)-Wynard, Stanley- The Nut Stay at Burnie/Stanley

Day 10 Stanley –Boat Harbour, Wynard, Burnie- Devonport- Launceston. Stay at Launceston

Day 11 Cataract Gorge –cross the gorge on a chairlift, walk the suspension bridge and take a boat ride. Tamar Valley- Beaconsfield- Beauty Point. Stay at Launceston

Day 12 Look around Launceston. Fly out 2.15pm

Thank you

Warrnambool...
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 12 day drive around Tasmania in October

Very Good Idea, Might suggest a rest day, and go on the west coast wilderness railway, as i loved it!

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,600 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 12 day drive around Tasmania in October

It's basically a good plan, but it needs a few small amendments, I think.

Day 2 is a big driving day, but is doable. However, is there some reason that you are going to Swansea, then backtracking to the B34 to go to Ross? I'd drop Swansea.

I assume Day 5 is a Saturday as you are going to Salamanca Market. Go to MONA immediately after Salamanca. Catch the ferry from Brooke Street Pier.

On Day 6 you do not have time to go to Mount Wellington before commencing the big drive to Queenstown. Try to fit Mount Wellington in on an earlier day.

I think you have covered all the high points and you'll have a good trip, :)

Luigi

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 12 day drive around Tasmania in October

Thanks for your help Luigi

4. Re: 12 day drive around Tasmania in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2015, 05:17