We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 Perfect Days for Gurus in the Apple Isle

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,937 posts
182 reviews
Save Topic
10 Perfect Days for Gurus in the Apple Isle

Background: Mother daughter 10 night trip, I've been a few time before GD was a virgin ;)

Hobart: 2 nights… day one was the walking tour and TMAG. Headed out from Henry Jones after lunch at Jam Packed (great accom separate review to come) and walked via Salamanca up to Battery Point and down to TMAG. TMAG is very well done and we had our first taste of local friendliness. I loved looking at the memorial stones in St David's park

Dinner was Garagistes. Yep it was interesting and the Lovage course was excellent. GDs fish dish was cold and had bones in it. Sake match was worth the $$ We are divided in whether it was worth return. Communal tables were well managed

DAY 2: Breakfast was share benny at HJ

MONA- We decided to be just a bit POSH even though we sat on the starboard ;) yes ut would be worthwhile for a first trip. Didn't like the fact that we had 2 hours to wait for a return ferry BUT with POSHTIX we took the included vineyard and tasting tour and this took GD to a whole new experience. IMHO MONA is a bit how much can we skim from you BUT the art work is interesting and the element of surprise and intellectual challenges make the trip well worth while. I felt POSH pit was worth the $$ as we didn't need to spend on lunch and seats were were more comfortable

We then took the beast up Mt Wellington and despite the snow warning it was a dry as. It was cold and it was windy but the view was excellent. For me it was kind of wow…… how touristic has Hobart become.

We knew we had 3 nights of gourmet dining ahead so after asking at HJ we went for fish frenzy. My last visit involved Flipper (urrrrrrrrrrcchhhhh) but fish frenzy was nice and tasty. We chose separate options rather than a package deal and in each case there was at least one extra piece of food.

Day 3- Drive to Freycinet. Traffic was horrendous. We saw 3 other cars heading the same way as us in the 2.5 hours. Stopped at Swansea for the Spiky bridge (seriously mum….. this is a tourist spot) then for a cuppa at dolphin Sands using the thermos and the muesli bars purchased at Eastlands (thanks Rob). Walked in the door at "the Stingray and went …ahhhhhhhh" See review of Saffire. (mkII)

Skip a few days

Drive from Freycinet to Cradle Mt.

Headed out way too early but the road called and I didn't want to drive at dusk. Gorgeous scenery through Lake Leake and then up the Midland HWy.

Hit Deloraine and planned to stock at the Deli for CM. Deli was relocating (ahh yes curse of the Guru) Woolies,,,,,,, um NUP. So out to Ashgrove we went (skipped christmas hills as we were in search of fresh produce)

Cheese stock replenished we headed via Tasmazia but to Railton first thanks to the lovely lady in the visitor centre in deloraine. Railton and th topiary topped there murals for us and Tasmazia was totally entertaining for a 19yo. Quirky and clever (Aussie humour at its pinnacle) we wandered for over an hour (and never got too the middle). Hot tip… wear shoes suitable for wet water and not suede boots.

Up we climbed to Cradle mountain.

This was the place I dreaded visiting most. No, it was not the fierce Tassie Devils of bugs bunny fame. it was he fact that Guru and i had done a honeymoon there in its infancy, in the snow when the accom took about 20 people and now it looked like it might be Disney on a stick. Reality, the wildlife is still plentiful, wombats pademelons etc still roam the area but the Lodge itself is no longer a Lodge. (see accom review)

After a so so dinner we slept just OK and headed out at crack of dawn (literally) to walk. Dove Lake Circuit was nice and as it was early very quiet but the highlight for me was climbing Marions even if it the cloud cover came and went.

Totally exhausted after 6.5 hours of hard slog with a slave driving teen we ate in the tavern, HOT TIP. BYO as much as possible. Peppers has nickel and dine down to an art form.

CM to PA (or nature to death and debauchery)

The drive was easy and wiki led us to Oatlands. Oatlands imho is a gem (yeah I know Saffire is supposed to be the Tassie gem). Not a soul (living) in sight we wandered up the main street and parted with some hard earned at Casaveen. Plan had been for the curry scallop pie at Sorrel but TKO beckoned and the grumbling tum said YES. Slices were TDF (no not tour de france … although Tassie was caught up in the Richie Porte appreciation society)

We hit the peninsula around 2.30 and I decided sourcing accom was priority number one, my wings were not ready to fly too hard so we went to Stewarts Bay Lodge (see my non review) and needed up at Parsons Bay. No emotional baggage this had been another honeymoon site and the staff sold me…. friendly local tassie feel…. price is not always the decider… nor is the view… this is tourism….make people feel like you want to have them (well at least their custom)

IGA made for an excellent meal in the jim jams (no there will NOT be photos in the review)

PA Day,,,,, groan.

GD wanted this as her top convict destination and we arrived at sparrows tweet (don't think TA lets me use F@rt) We spent 10 minutes on the tour and soon escaped (oh if it had only been so easy for the convicts) to utilise the perfect light and spectacular architecture.

I thought we would have trouble filling time before our 1pm Isle of the dead but we eneded up rushing our cheese and dip platter, thanks again IGA to get to the dock in time.

Isle of the Dead… made Oh so special by Jenni, her ability to recite the gravestone inscriptions with emotion almost left me in tears especially the the regrettable school master. Then Graeme's enthusiasm for the Point Puer boys had us both walk away with "OMG how good was that" People make a difference.

Drive to Hobart easy and HJ came to the party (see review).

Back to the airport via the overrated Richmond (go to oatlands) and into the the zoo, NAH,,,,,, saffire has their own lounge which is a tranquil island…… BUT wait,,,, isn't that just a metaphor for tassie

Edited: 11 July 2014, 10:51
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,322 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 Perfect Days for Gurus in the Apple Isle

Great review, thanks GW. :)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,566 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 Perfect Days for Gurus in the Apple Isle

yep interesting indeed.

Our guide on our Bay of Fires walk in March coined the phrase "Tassie As" for all the unique quirks of Tassie. Its our favorite saying just now:-)

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,322 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 Perfect Days for Gurus in the Apple Isle

"Tassie as" ........ news.com.au/entertainment/tv/tassie-mates-da…

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,937 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 Perfect Days for Gurus in the Apple Isle

Nozzie how was the walk

It is on the maybe for next time

GD wants overland but I think it may be beyond me

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
11,993 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 Perfect Days for Gurus in the Apple Isle

Sad no photo review, great review and very entertaining GW, and a 19 year old and Tasmazia who knew.

By the way, snowing tonight, bushwalkers alerts out, Marions will be covered by tomorrow morning.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,566 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 Perfect Days for Gurus in the Apple Isle

Hi GW I did post a report of our walk here tripadvisor.com.au/…56781884

But this is the summary

<<I found the 3 day Bay of Fires walk a bit “samey”. Three days of beach walking was a bit much for me especially as the last day was both very hot and very windy and walking through deep sand. Our 2 young guides/cooks were lovely and very professional and the food was plentiful and good. I was however horrified by the toilets we were expected to use on the first day (filthy, smelly long drops with no hand washing facilities) and our first night was in a very basic tent with no shower facilities. NP Tasmania really needs to lift its game here. The second night was in a comfortable beach shack with a proper bed. The 3 hour drive to and from Launceston was in a very uncomfortable mini bus. >>

However we did of course do the cheap(er) version with Life's an Adventure (still cost us $1,000 each) and not the expensive lodge version.

Edited: 11 July 2014, 12:33
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,687 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 Perfect Days for Gurus in the Apple Isle

Great review GW.

{I wish I'd seriously thought about one of the big walks , probably beyond me too now.)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,071 posts
1,390 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 Perfect Days for Gurus in the Apple Isle

Nothing better than a Tassie holiday. G/W interesting TR... & Saffire looks amazing.. Do they actually have a lounge at the Airport ?

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
11,993 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 10 Perfect Days for Gurus in the Apple Isle

GW, what a change in a week. A friend was up there for a wedding today, I couldn't make it.The car is hers, and the 2 shots were taken at the Cradle Mountain Hotel previously known as the Cradle Mountain Chateau.

Rob

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-0822-1b5a-d6bd…

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,937 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 10 Perfect Days for Gurus in the Apple Isle

Yes em they do. It's to the left of q check in.

Quiet oasis and we were the only ones in there. Other saffire guests chose to is the q lounge which is a zoo especially in school holidays and with jet star having a delay

Rob will have to check it out on the laptop