We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three weeks in Tasmania

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Three weeks in Tasmania

Hi! If anyone could have a look at our itinerary and give any feedback it would be greatly appreciated. We don't want to miss too much so any little hints would be great too! We are going this time next year. Arriving in Launcestion with myself, hubby and two kids who will be five and seven. Hubby and I have been before but only for 10 nights.

Launcestion two nights

City Park the museum, cataract gorge etc

Tamar Vally Two nights

Seahorse place, platypus place, Beaconsfirled mine.

Ben lomand or close by one night

Play in the snow

East coast three nights

Unsure where to stay, what to see yet

Port aurther one night

Look at the sights on the way there then Visit the historical site the next day

Hobart three nights

Straun two nights

Take the whole day to drive there, stopping along the way at Mt field and anywhere else to look at.

Cradle mountain two nights

Burnie/ stanley one night

Stay somewhere along there, any suggestions as to which town? We want to go as far as Stanley

Ulverston/Sheffeild one night

Any recommendation? Want to go to Tazmazia then stay somewhere close by before heading to Mole Creek the next day

Launcestion last night.

When ever we can we will drive to the next place in the afternoon to avoid Icy Roads. Is it the whole state we have to be careful of ice roads or would up the top not be so bad?

Thanks!

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,759 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three weeks in Tasmania

HI Sandy,

First when are you arriving, by your last comment I assume it's soon.

I also love that you stated >> Hubby and I have been before but only for 10 nights. << and that you're coming back for 3 weeks, nice to see someone with plenty of time.

Remember to get a parks pass, Holiday Vehicle Parks Pass is the best option, as you probably already know.

https:/…

Your itinerary looks quite good, and it might be worth changing a night or two.

Also it might be worth basing in Launceston for your 4 nights, as the Tamar Valley drive is not that big a deal in time wise, as the drive to Beauty Point is under an hour.

Another good day trip would be to head towards Narawntapu National Park, or as some call it Pu Park. If you are there about an hour to an hour and a half before sunset, the kids and the big kids will experience seeing some wonderful wildlife, in the wild.

tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g255096…

On the way to Pu Park you could visit Christmas Hill Raspberry Café for a great breakfast, further north a visit to Ashgrove Cheese, and then a lovely town a bit further north is Latrobe, and a place well worth visiting is Reliquaire, even the kids will like it.

If it is winter when you arrive, IMO you could take a day off the East Coast and add it to the Tasman Peninsula, and Bicheno is a good place to stop, you might get to see some penguins.

On the way to Strahan you could visit the Salmon Ponds, Lake Louise and the Wall in the Wilderness -

http://www.salmonponds.com.au/

http://www.thewalltasmania.com/

I would recommend you spend a night in Stanley.

"heading to Mole Creek the next day", why not drive from Stanley to Sheffield and then off and stay at Mole Creek, some nice cabins and B&B's around there. The drive from Tasmazia to Mole Creek is not long, possibly go to Tasmazia first, then a quick detour back to Sheffield then head to Mole Creek via Paradise Road and Union Bridge Road.

Driving on icy roads is more prevalent at higher altitudes, like Cradle Mt and Ben Lomond.

Don't forget you'll need you Parks Pass, and if it's snowing on Ben Lomond you will be required to fit chains, I would not bother getting chains, there's a shuttle bus, which is a much better option than driving, Jacobs Ladder can be a test for even for the experienced snow and ice driver -

www.tasmanianexpeditions.com.au/index.php…

http://www.skibenlomond.com.au/about.php

Overall your plan looks good.

For those arriving this week, keep an eye out on the weather warnings, Thursday and or Friday, the forecast is for very low snow, so far down to 400m, that covers a lot of Tasmania.

http://www.bom.gov.au/tas/warnings/

Let us know when you arrive Sandy?

Safe travels - Robert

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Three weeks in Tasmania

Thanks Heaps Robert, I will have a look through your links later. I am being a bit premature as we are actually going this time next year! We arrive the 6th July. ! I am excited though as we just booked our flight there!

I found a nice looking place to stay near Sheffield last night http://www.carinyafarm.com.au and we discussed staying there for four nights instead of Cradle Mountain and Stanley and visiting Cradle, mole Creek, The North west coast and Tasmazia as day trips from there. We can also watch the weather for Cradle and not have to worry so much about being snowed out. The kids might prefer not moving so much . Do you think that is feasible?

I

Cradle...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,759 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three weeks in Tasmania

Hi Sandy, It's never to early to book, and research a holiday, early July, it will be cold.

Carinya Farm is reasonably central for places like Tasmazia, Sheffield, Devonport, Latrobe and with a bit of distance Cradle Mt, but I would refrain from visiting the far northwest from there, and Mole Creek, you will be doing a lot of back tracking.

The drive from Carinya Farm to Cradle Mt will take you close to an hour.

IMO, 3 nights there would be enough, but due to the time you're travelling, you may be able freewheel a bit, and decide to stay longer.

It will probably snow at Carinya Farm on Thursday night, and talking of snow, there's always a good chance of snow at Cradle Mt, which is magical.

Robert

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Three weeks in Tasmania

The kids want to see snow and our only choices of times to go are July or December so we plan on freezing whilst we are there! We went September last time and although not as cold as july we were only cold once and that was at the top of Mt Field. We even just had T-shirts on at times like playing in the snow at Cradle mountain and in launcestion when it was 11 deg as it is a different sort of cold to here. We expect to be a lot colder this time though!

We did Jacobs Ladder last time and loved the view but do plan on using the shuttle this time. I Tazmazia most hire companies dont let you fit chains anyway.

Thanks for the tips on the way to Strahan, i will look into them. We stopped at Mt Field last time but that was all. We were trying to get to Strahan to watch the Grand Final that ten WCE were in. We may have scoffed at the 'You have four more hours until your destination' sign! Being west aussie with long straight rds, lets just say we thought they didnt know what they were talking about lol! If we allow the entire day we shoulf be able to see a bit and break the driving up.

I appreciate your help

Cradle...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,759 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Three weeks in Tasmania

Kids want to see snow, shame you're not here this Thursday or Friday, if the forecast stays the same, it should snow at our home, we're at 300m, kind of a surreal feeling for us coming originally from Brisbane.

Yes, it takes a lot longer to travel the same mileage around Tasmania than the mainland, I think you'll find it in most of our replies, we say if Google say 4 hours, allow 5, my wife's car has had 2 full disc brake replacements since moving to Tas, she drives on lots of steep winding roads.

Let us know if you need any further info.

Robert

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Three weeks in Tasmania

I am sure we will have more questions to fire at you over the next year thanks!

Sydney, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Three weeks in Tasmania

Hi Robert,

Love all the detail that you go into with your posts and so am wondering if you can help me out with a bit of a tailor-made itinerary too!

We are doing 17 days in Tas in March next year. I am travelling with my husband, parents (late 60s) and 3 kids (7, 4 and 10 months at time of travel).

We want to minimise the number of different accommodations for the sake of the kids but also want to pack in as much Tasmanian goodness as we can. This means staying 2-4 nights in a handful of places rather than 1-2 nights in many different places. By reading forums I have nutted out a rough itinerary and would appreciate your thoughts.

Fly in to Hobart and drive straight to Port Arthur - 2 nights at the site. One day to explore the site and do a ghost tour the second to explore the Tasman Peninsula including Coal Mines Historic Site, Tessellated Pavement, Remarkable Cave and Blow Hole, Tasman Arch, Devil’s Kitchen & Patersons Arch coastal walks, etc.

Drive to Hobart and stay 3 nights here to explore (in no particular order) the Tahune Airwalk, Cadbury Factory, Salamanca Markets, MONA, Mt Wellington, Battery Point - would appreciate your thoughts on whether it is worth spending extra cash to stay in the CBD - we would need something self-catered - or take a cheaper out-of-town option in Howrah or Sandford.

Travel to Bicheno - 3 nights here to check out Freycinet NP/Wineglass Bay, the local wineries, do a Penguin Tour, East Coast Nature World (Tas Devils - or is there somewhere better for this), the Blowhole.

Travel to Launceston for 3 nights - see Cataract Gorge, Tamar Valley attractions and wineries, City Park.

Travel to Sheffield for 2 nights (stay near Tazmazia) - spend a day in Cradle Mountain NP - perhaps at Dove Lake b/c more child-friendly, and do Tazmazia as well as local Raspberry Farm and other foodie experiences OR ... should we actually stay in Cradle Mountain???

Travel to Strahan for 2 nights - Gordon River Cruise and Wilderness Railway. Anything else to do here?

Back to Hobart for another night or 2 before flying home.

I would love your feedback re what I am missing (e.g do I HAVE to do NW Tas e.g Burnie) / are there better places to stay that would increase our options to see as much as possible with minimal car time? I am totally flexible as have no accommodation booked yet but would like to get on to this ASAP.

Thanks for your help.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,759 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Three weeks in Tasmania

Hi CN,

Is there a reason you're doing PA, then returning to Hobart, I.e. Salamanca markets, then heading back east again?

Can you let us know what are your expected arrival and leaving dates, have you booked your flights, or are you flexible?

And, the northwest is a jewel, let us know your dates.

Could you please start your own thread, Sandy (the OP) might come back with more questions, and with 2 on the same thread it can feel a bit cluttered.

Rob

Edited: 05 August 2014, 09:33
Sydney, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Three weeks in Tasmania

Hi Rob.

Firstly, please tell me how to start a thread. I could not for the life of me figure it out!

Dates are 4 - 2 March. Flights already booked. No reason for doing PA first, just thought it would be less back tracking and want to be in Hobart on Sat 7th for the San markets. Thanks CN

Cradle...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,759 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Three weeks in Tasmania

OK, thought that might be the case. I would recommend you do the route in the reverse order, mainly due to the start times for the train and cruise tours, both are in the morning, also if the train is a must you better check the days of the different tours run, they're all over the place, I did a quick check on one of the tours for March 2015, and they rarely run on a Tuesday, and that's not the only day they don't run, at present, the cruises are fine.

http://www.wcwr.com.au/

http://www.gordonrivercruises.com.au/

http://www.worldheritagecruises.com.au/

Also why I reversed your itinerary, is again the two tours from Strahan, both being morning, you would get better use of your time coming from the south, as your drive day to Strahan whether from Hobart or Cradle IMO is a written off day. If you drive from Hobart, you could spend the whole day taking your time and visiting places like, Mt Field, Salmon Ponds, The Wall in the Wilderness, Lake Louise, and Nelson Falls etc. From Cradle Mt, approximately a 2.5 hour drive, you could visit Montezuma Falls and Zeehan, I just think you get better use coming from Hobart, and after either the railway or cruise on the second day in Strahan, you have plenty of time to go straight to Cradle Mt.

Below is nearly identical your itinerary but in reverse -

Arrive Hobart go to Port Arthur

Port Arthur

Hobart

Hobart

Hobart

Strahan

Strahan

Cradle Mountain

Cradle Mountain

Launceston

Launceston

Launceston

Bicheno

Bicheno

Bicheno

Hobart

Hobart leave for home

From Cradle Mt to Launceston, the best route IMO is, Cradle Mt, Sheffield, Mole Creek, Deloraine, a small side trip to the Raspberry Farm Café, then on to Launceston.

Also a good day trip from Launceston, and especially for the kids is to Narawntapu National Park, if you have read other threads about it, the best time to be there is about an hour and a half before sunset, the kids will love it, and it's not a big drive. tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g255096… http://goo.gl/maps/rzJqt

Other kid musts are Tasmazia and Trowunna Wildlife Park, if Trowunna's not busy, and you arrive at the start of one of the 3 tours, you may get to hold a small wombat, great experience, and tours are 11am, 1pm & 3pm.

The drive from Cradle Mountain to Launceston is a great kids day. http://goo.gl/maps/YZVyh

Have a think about the order, and check the train tour times.

Safe travels - Robert