We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to stop at. Day visits etc.

Melbourne, Australia
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Places to stop at. Day visits etc.

3 couples travelling with caravans. Arriving at Devonport on the 15th February. Devonport to Launceston. Down east coast to Hobart. Then up the centre back towards Devonport. We have 2 weeks. Any suggestions. Thanks Leanne

Mentioned in this post
Devonport
Devonport
Tasmania, Australia
Launceston
Launceston
Tasmania, Australia
Hobart
Hobart
Greater Hobart, Australia
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,272 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Places to stop at. Day visits etc.

Hmmm well just days ago an acquaintance was telling me how her elderly parents had run off the road and been killed while towing their caravan. Makes you think. And unfortunately Suzi IME all too often caravanners and camper vans do not pull over to let others pass.

When you've driven several million miles on country roads as I have you do get pretty fed up.

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,659 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Places to stop at. Day visits etc.

Nossie there are plenty of selfish road users and not all are those with caravans!

Oz
Level Contributor
14,095 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Places to stop at. Day visits etc.

Hi,

>>Nossie there are plenty of selfish road users and not all are those with caravans!<<

I would agree not all caravan towers and motor home punters are selfish. Those that aren't simply don't have the skill sets to competently drive an articulated vehicle or the road sense to understand what a mobile chicane is.

>>When you've driven several million miles on country roads as I have you do get pretty fed up.<<

Too true!!!

Cheers,

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,090 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Places to stop at. Day visits etc.

I have to admit that the only "hitch" driving wise in Tassie I had was an older couple in a mobile home who travelled at 40kmh in a 100km zone. Not only did they not pull over at any opportunity but when the road widened and was straight they moved out over the centre line.

For the most part mobile home drivers did move over, but strangely enough they were all young people….

Thnakfully OP has chosen not to drive during a school holiday period and I am sure the 3 in convoy will be very considerate to the other drivers on the road, who may well have a deadline and allowed plenty of time to get where they are going but not for being held up for 40km in one go .. :)

15. Re: Places to stop at. Day visits etc.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2015, 05:16