We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Van rental at end of Overland Track

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
178 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Van rental at end of Overland Track

Can anyone help out, trying to figure out if it will be doable to rent an 8-passenger van for our group at the end of the Overland in or around Lake St. Claire or the closest town. We have more sightseeing to do after our walk and I think a vehicle would be best from this point on. Thanks in advance!

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,534 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Van rental at end of Overland Track

No it won't be possible. There's nothing like that in the vicinity.

This old thread will help with links to companies that do drop and pickup for you: tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g504288-i12114-…

The easiest way is to use the bus to Hobart: http://www.tassielink.com.au/

Luigi

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
178 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Van rental at end of Overland Track

Thank you so much luigi. Could I ask you another question? If you had a group of 7 coming in for a couple of weeks (flying into launceston) that want to walk the overland and also travel over to the bay of fires afterwards for several more days and then back to launceston for the flight out, how would you do that?

We would rather not have to rely on public transportation for the entire time if possible. We did some walks in NZ and we're able to use a van moving service to relocate our vehicle from trailhead to end of hikes, that worked so well but does not look to be an option in Tasmania.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,534 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Van rental at end of Overland Track

Your two affordable options are to use one of the logistic services or the bus.

The Logistic services would be expensive for 7 people, so I'd probably get the bus to Hobart, then rent a mini-bus there.

However, if you want to get the vehicle in Hobart and drop it in Launceston, it may be cheaper to get two regular cars rather than a mini-bus as the bus would probably have a one-way rental fee where cars should not.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
178 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Van rental at end of Overland Track

Thanks much, appreciate the reply.

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Van rental at end of Overland Track

Hi Guys - joining this conversation. I can't believe how expensive for our family of 4 just the transfers are!!! Getting from Launceston to Dove Lake for the start of the OT hike and then at the other end - $160 for the ferry and then it looks like the best we can do is a bus at $80 p/h. So, $80 x 4 = $320 and then x 2 both ways = $640 just for the transfers!!! Our flights from Melbourne were $49!!

We are desperately trying to source a different option. As I said we leave Launceston, but then at the end want to go to Hobart for a few days. Plus - we need somehow to transport a suitcase of clothes for our stay in Hobart (from Launceston). Obviously a business opportunity at both ends of the hike is available for a rental car company! Can anyone offer a suggestion?

Thanks,

Fiona

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
178 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Van rental at end of Overland Track

Fiona,

Have you looked into Adventure Seekers?

adventureseekers.com.au/bushwalker-transport…

Our group of 7 is planning to use them for our Overland Track transport to and from Launceston. I agree, it's all pretty ridiculously expensive...

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,534 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Van rental at end of Overland Track

Good advice, 1MoreTravelGirl. There are many useful companies at the far end of my links. :)

Luigi

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
178 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Van rental at end of Overland Track

We looked into all of them, thank you for that Luigi, very helpful!

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Van rental at end of Overland Track

Yes thanks we have got the quote of $80 from them!

I think I'll move to Tassie and start and rent-a-car company allowing different pick-up and drop-off points!

Thanks anyway.

Fi

Level Contributor
4 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Van rental at end of Overland Track

Hi, I'm in the same situation. Trying to find transport and luggage storage for the Overland Track. Thanks for posting the option for Adventure Seekers. I've been looking at Tassielink and I'm not sure if they're the best option because of luggage storage. I also have been looking into Outdoor Tasmania but customer care has been lacking from their email responses. Maybe, you'll have better luck.

Another question related to the hike, has anyone coming from the US solved the problem of coordinating food for the Overland Track? I would normally dehydrate meals for us in advance but that isn't an option going through customs in Melbourne. It seems that we need to pick up most of our food when we arrive. I've found a company based in Hobart called Strive that can ship meals to an address in Launceston just not sure if that's the best option. I have seen that there a couple of outfitter stores in Launceston, wondering if anyone has had any experience with them. Thanks for the help!