We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling with 12 Son Unsure what or where to go??

Sydney
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
Travelling with 12 Son Unsure what or where to go??

Hiya i was thinking of going to tassie late Oct Early Nov, trying to get out of it cheapest way i can looking for some help please.. Not sure whether its cheaper to take my own car and travel via the Tasmania boat to get there and back or get flights and either hire a car or camper van.

My first time there want to see some beaches and i hear cradle mountain is nice, could we do all of tassie in 2 weeks for poss $2000 or am i pushing it..

would have love to have done the cruise which that way i wouldnt have to worry about Accom, food or travel but the dates dont work for me. Thank you

Cradle Mountain
Forests, Mountains, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Waterfalls
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,692 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling with 12 Son Unsure what or where to go??

The one place i'd suggest with a 12 yo is Tasmazia just out of sheffield.

Easily done on the way to Cradle Mountain…

does the $2000 includeeverything…

basically you are aiming at $180 a day… I think you may struggle if the budget is for everything

Car Hire is reasonable (compared to Cairns)… but if you drove you could always camp?

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
13,073 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling with 12 Son Unsure what or where to go??

Hi,

It will be a very tight to stretch the money you have over 2 weeks, or as GurusW has said unless you camp.

Taking you car will be cheaper, for a recliner, and car return will cost you around $450.

You could research cabins in caravan parks, which is probably the cheapest private type of accommodation.

Fuel is a bit dearer than the mainland, at present we're paying close to $1.70 a litre.

It's going to be tight though, and if you do bring your vehicle over, make sure you book your return, some have been caught and not being able to return for near 2 weeks.

Safe travels - Robert

Sydney
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling with 12 Son Unsure what or where to go??

Thank you for your replies have decided to do a cruise to S.A all booked for Oct this year and hopefully will get to Tassie next year..

4. Re: Travelling with 12 Son Unsure what or where to go??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2015, 05:15