We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinions and suggestions on draft Tasmania itinerary please

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
711 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Opinions and suggestions on draft Tasmania itinerary please

My husband and I are hoping to tour Tassie in about August, September or October this year. This is the itinerary and possible accommodation ideas I've drafted. I'd like any Tassie experts to comment please.

Day 1 - Fly Brisbane to LAUNCESTON.

Hopefully arrive by lunch time. Visit Cataract Gorge.

Overnight - Ashton Gate B & B

Day 2 - To LOW HEAD via East Tamar Highway.

Overnight - Belfont Cottage adjacent to lighthouse (hubby loves lighthouses)

Note - We don't drink wine so not into wineries, hence not interested in visiting such.

Day 3 - To BICHENO via Scottsdale, St Helens etc. visiting Lavender Farm & Bay of Fires area.

Overnight - Diamond Island Resort - view penguins.

Day 4 - To SWANSEA. Via Friendly Beaches, Coles Bay. Visit Cape Tourville Lighthouse - views from 500m boardwalk. Wineglass Bay - take Cape Tourville walk (20mins) to catch glimpse of Bay. Visit Duncombes Lookout (3km south) for panoramic views of Oyster Bay & Freycinet Peninsula.

Overnight - Freycinet Waters or Redcliffe House.

Day 5 - To HOBART. En route visit Kates Berry Farm. Photograph Spikey Bridge. Arrive Richmond for lunch. Inspect sights of Richmond, perhaps do walking tour of town.

Overnight - Roseneath B & B, Rose Bay (5 min. drive from Hobart)

Day 6 - PORT ARTHUR. Travel via Sorell to visit fruit farm. Spend day on Tasman Peninsula.

Overnight - Roseneath B & B, Rose Bay.

Day 7 - HOBART.

Possibilities - Salamanca Markets (if it's Saturday), Mt. Wellington, Derwent River Cruise etc.

Overnight - Fountainside Hotel ?

Day 8 - to NEW NORFOLK. Travel via Huon Valley and its attractions. Do Tahune Airwalk.

Overnight - Rosie's Inn, New Norfolk.

Day 9 - to TARRALEAH. Firstly look around New Norfolk and then travel to Mt Field National Park and Russell Falls. Do walk.

Overnight - Cottages at Tarraleah.

Day 10 - to STRAHAN via Lake St Clair and Queenstown.

Overnight - Gordon Gateway.

Day 11 - STRAHAN. Do either Gordon River Cruse or West Coast Wilderness Railway.

Overnight - Gordon Gateway.

Day 12 - To CRADLE MT.

Overnight - Highlanders Cottages.

Day 13 - To STANLEY via Wynyard etc.

Overnight - Dovecote Motel.

Day 14 - To WESTBURY via Burnie, Sheffield, Elizabeth Town (for Raspberry Farm & Cheese Factory), Deloraine etc.

Overnight - Westbury Gingerbread Cottage.

Day 15 - HOME.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,287 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opinions and suggestions on draft Tasmania itinerary please

Porge I wouldn't call myself a Tasmania "expert" but i have twice done a similar trip and last year also planned one for some clients. I think your itinerary looks excellent and i wouldn't suggest that you change anything.

queensland
Level Contributor
291 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Opinions and suggestions on draft Tasmania itinerary please

Hi ho Porge,

Well im a Queenslander but i was born in Tsssie but left due to work transfer 17 years ago and all i can say is that you have picked the best place on earth to visit and you have made me very homesick with all you destinations...mmmm...im green with envy.

What a magic holiday and im tired just reading through it all. I just love the east coast..wineglass bay..a must, day 4 sounds soooo good as you are getting to see most of the east coast, but shame you dont get to walk into wineglass bay as it is the best place to visit.

Richmond is nice to visit too and there are some lovely shops to spend all your cash in.Salamanca is on a Saturday so you will be able to go there...go to Blue Sky's restarant for lunch...yum. its on the water.

Well im sure you will have the best 15 days ever and i hope you love it as much as i do...Hope you have a safe trip and enjoy very day you have there

Cheers...Warwick

Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Opinions and suggestions on draft Tasmania itinerary please

We just had a 10 days {chevvy Chase holiday driving tassie) saw heaps and drove heaps. the little towns on the maps are just a few houses with a little shop, and every 30km is a town with a church.

I suggest you change day 4 and drive from swansea straight to port arthur, else you are doubling back. I would recommend 2 nights port arthur area and do this tour it is WONDERFUL http://www.sealife.com.au/index.htm

I would also consider staying at the comfort inn that is actually in the Port Arthut historical park overnight rather than a B & B. I had looked at staying at some of these and they are so isolated on the tasman penisular.

I would also maybe give maybe the huon valley trip a miss (not much to see really) and do a day trip up to ROSS which is just delighful instead and so different from what you are going to see on the west coast. Take warm thermal singlets and rain coats on christmas day there it snowed. and that is summer. have a great holiday you will oove every minute. we want to go back.

PS since your hubby loves light houses http://www.sealife.com.au/index.htm

he will love this they take you to the first light houses on tasmania and tell you the history of the light houses etc etc just fancinating how they set up these light houses on remote cliffs with ropes and pulleys.leslie

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,727 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Opinions and suggestions on draft Tasmania itinerary please

diamond island resort you must try the retsaurant there

Lilyana xx

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Opinions and suggestions on draft Tasmania itinerary please

Strahan, do the captains deck (more expensive) on the Lady Jane Franklin Gordon River cruise instead of the railway. I just had the best time. We are not into spending huge money for day trips but that day I felt I got the $$$ worth. Was wonderful. Hope they still have the little show at Strahan Visitors centre The Ship that Was, hysterical.

Try to see some old growth Swamp Gums, massive trees. Largest softwoods in the world. The Mountain Ash in Victoria (same tree) were the largest until lumber men cut it down to measure it ! They are located close to Mt Field, ask the ranger for directions.

Stop for lunch, coffee or snack at the Eaglehawk Neck Hotel (fogotten it's name) used to be owned by Reg Ansett. Even though you don;t drink, nice spot for a break and it is not a pub atmosphere at all.

If it is raspberry time try to get some fresh from the farm as they are like nothing you tasted before. Oyster heaven also.

Great trip planned ! You will have the time of your life!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
711 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Opinions and suggestions on draft Tasmania itinerary please

Thanks so much everyone for your replies and wonderful suggestions. You have given me some more great options to think about. For such a small area there is so much to see in Tassie and a one week tour soon becomes two weeks or more! However, this forum is a great help and I'm thankful for all your input.

Canberra Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Opinions and suggestions on draft Tasmania itinerary please

Definately overnight at Port Arthur rather than doubling back for a day trip. The entry pass is valid for two days.

The Comfort Inn is in a great location. We had dinner there on our first night. We were staying at the units across the road and were told that there was a bistro and a restaurant and we should book as they were busy. So we booked a table at the restaurant. After waiting for some time for somebody to come and take our order DH went to find a waitress and discovered that except in the peak season the restaurant and bistro are the same thing and you have to place your order at the bar. The place was busyish but not booked out, and it emptied very early. We were still eating our main course when the waitress started spraying the neighbouring tables with smelly bleach. No complaints about the food, DH particularly enjoyed his entree, but the organisation was poor and didn't make for a pleasant evening.

The following night we discovered Felons at the Visitors Centre. Wonderful food and service.

Tasmania
Level Contributor
20 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Opinions and suggestions on draft Tasmania itinerary please

Hi Porge,

I see Azlell has once again told people to stay away from the Huon Valley. I really can't understand it, as we found it to be a beautiful place, which reminded me of the Lakes District in England. You must go further south than Huonville, which is the gateway to the Huon Valley. The Tahune Airwalk, Hastings Caves, Wooden Boat Centre in Franklin, Salmon Farms and the South West Cape Walk which takes you to the southern most point in Australia are just a few of the things to do. Even the Lune River railway reopened last year and is a wonderful trip. Most of Tassie is dry and brown at the moment and we found the Huon Valley to be one of the last green belts. It is certainly worth considering a nights stay. Have a great trip Porge.

Huon Valley
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Opinions and suggestions on draft Tasmania itinerary please

I support Miffcolby re The Huon Valley - it is probably one of the most beautifl and unspoiled parts of Tasmania. There are heaps of things to see and do and there are also some great restaurants, - Peppermint Bay, Home Hill, Huon Manor, Petty Sessions to name a few. So if you are into grazing your way across the State of Tasmania you are guaranteed of lots of wonderful food. Take a look at www.huontrail.org.au . The waterways in the Huon/Channel region are enough to take your breath away.

Enjoy your Tassie experince.

Blossie

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
711 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Opinions and suggestions on draft Tasmania itinerary please

BalticAmber, I agree a night at Port Arthur after driving from Swansea is a good idea and then we could take our time the next day arriving at Richmond for lunch and a look around there before proceeding to Hobart.

Miffcolby & Blossie, don't worry we will certainly include the Huon Valley in our itinerary. I've been doing a lot of research and I think we'll really enjoy that area. We're into photography and always on the lookout for beautiful shots and from what I've read, that area is lovely.

Thanks again for the helpful advice.