We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is North Hobart the place to stay?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
379 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Is North Hobart the place to stay?

I have been told by a B & B owner "North Hobart is the main restaurant/pub/cafe area of Hobart". Is this true? Comments?

I'd like to stay walking distance to restaurants if possible.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
North Hobart
North Hobart
312 Reviews
Hobart, Australia
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
17,002 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is North Hobart the place to stay?

Bumping your query up.

I would've thought the waterfront and CBD would be better. Googled North Hobart as I'm not that familiar with the city (visited in 2005). So it looks like it's the area behind the CBD and Botanic Gardens. It might help to identify the B&B and the street. It might be one of those edge of the CBD areas that's really good. I don't know.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
379 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is North Hobart the place to stay?

This is the place:

www.350onargyle.com

Their website is having some issues with the location side of things (it has recently been updated) so this isn't helpful...

I was also thinking waterfront would be better if we can afford it!?!?

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
17,002 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is North Hobart the place to stay?

There is a review of the accomodation you're considering on this site which seems to answer your questions.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
791 posts
707 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is North Hobart the place to stay?

Can't say I'm familiar with Nth Hobart, but have stayed near Constitution Dock/ Salamanca in a hotel, and also at a B&B in Battery Point & both are very good areas for restaurants etc. Very pretty areas.

Mentioned in this post
Constitution Dock
Constitution Dock
474 Reviews
Hobart, Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is North Hobart the place to stay?

I have been to tasmania on 5 separate occassions. Depending on what you are prepared to pay you could stay right on the waterfront at Sullivans Cove at a place called Zero Davey and try to book it last minute (within 28 days) at www.wotif.com.au to get a good deal - it is contemporary accom. so i'm not sure if you were after something more 'quaint'. Also on the water is Henry Jones Art Hotel though it is very very expensive and i'm not sure it is worth the premium compared to Zero Davey, having stayed at both. Another spot on the water (literally) is Somerset on the Pier - it may have changed names since I was there - which offers loft style accomodation with laundry and full kitchen. It is literally ON THE WATER because it is a wharf! Again, try for a last minute deal if you can risk it. Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Sullivans Cove
Sullivans Cove
168 Reviews
Hobart, Australia
The Henry Jones Art Hotel
The Henry Jones Art Hotel
1,555 Reviews
Hobart, Australia
Somerset
Somerset
England, UK
tasmania
Level Contributor
31 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is North Hobart the place to stay?

yes it is where there is a concentration of cafes and pubs, The republic is a good pub, good food with live bands and musicians every night, good place to stay - waterfront is not the best because it is expensive, although there are a lot of places toeat there, accommodaion is veyr pricey, North Hobart is around a 20 minute walk to town and quite lively for Slobart that is!

Mentioned in this post
North Hobart
North Hobart
312 Reviews
Hobart, Australia
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is North Hobart the place to stay?

The area most pleasant to enjoy as everything is close on foot is the waterfront area. There are some affordable options that would have a better quality accommodation standard. North Hobart is a strip of one street with options of many restaurant cuisines. If you dont have a car then from North Hobart is a walk of about 20-30 minutes to the waterfront cbd, there are bus but they dont run too late..for the prices of 350 argyle you could find similar around waterfront...the street that 350 argyle is on doesn't have much on it other than residential houses....it is a 5-10minute walk from the main North Hobart area. There are some accommodation options also in Battery Point that is a 5-10 minute walk to waterfront but a quaint and pleasant area.

Mentioned in this post
North Hobart
North Hobart
312 Reviews
Hobart, Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is North Hobart the place to stay?

It's true that North Hobart (specifically Elizabeth Street between Burnett and Federal Streets) has probably the highest concentration of restaurants, pubs and cafes in a small area around Hobart, including a few beauties like The Republic Bar, Vanidols, Annapurna and Restaurant 373. However there are also lots of (good) restaurants etc. scattered around Salamanca, the waterfront and the CBD. I posted a comment on this topic in the Hobart forum a few months ago if you want some more suggestions.

North Hobart is around a 20 minute walk, a 5 minute bus trip or a $7 taxi fare from the CBD. It's definitely a bit further from tourist spots like Salamanca Market, Battery Point and the Museum, but not so far that it should really put you off if you find a nice looking place to stay at a reasonable rate. Argyle St is one of the busier streets for traffic, but it would still be quieter than most places in the CBD.

I should point out that I'm a bit biased too - I live in North Hobart!

Mentioned in this post
North Hobart
North Hobart
312 Reviews
Hobart, Australia
Annapurna
Annapurna
318 Reviews
Hobart, Australia
Salamanca Market
Salamanca Market
3,595 Reviews
Hobart, Australia
melbourne
Level Contributor
6,754 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is North Hobart the place to stay?

if you want to stay within walking distance stay around the waterfront.

and its not always pricey.whats your budget per night?

also, the walking will be flatter around the water front,as it gets a bit steep in other areas.where i stayed at salamanca place, it became steep just outside of.

salamanca on the pier can be quite noisy, hence it is the docks.

alot of great eateries are around salamanca place though.

just fish around for good accomm prices, alot of accomm have last minute deals.

or email and haggle, i do.

good luck, enjoy

Melbourne
Level Contributor
379 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is North Hobart the place to stay?

Hmmm...it sounds like it is a little far...we wern't planning on getting a car and walking 20-30 minutes to the CBD, waterfront, market etc is not really my idea of a relaxing time!!!!