We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cadbury tour closure

Hobart
Level Contributor
461 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Cadbury tour closure

Info is very recent - so I guess if anyone wanted to put in their input to them they could.

Anyway heres the story :)

news.com.au/mercury/…00.html

abc.net.au/news/…2216085.htm

Southern 4WD Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Personalised Tasmanian Tours
Food Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips, Wine Tours & Tastings
Tassie Road Trips
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Tassie Tours Tasmania
Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Day Trips, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,872 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cadbury tour closure

Having done the tour, I always wondered about the H & S issues. Shame to see it go but as long as you can still get discounted chocolate, I would be happy!

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,117 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cadbury tour closure

Rats! Wish I'd done this when we were in Hobart for the weekend now. I thought we'd be able to do it later. More and more of these sorts of tours are going by the way...it's unfortunate.

Mentioned in this post
Hobart
Hobart
Greater Hobart, Australia
Bargara, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cadbury tour closure

Having put it off on previous visits, we finally did the Cadbury tour last November, buying the big box of chocolates in the discount shop for the extended family during Christmas celebrations.

I'm now glad we did! I did notice our path was constantly crossed by staff obviously working and wondered if there were OH&S issues - I guess there were.

It's sad, but like the photos of Mswab and myself atop the World Trace Center in NYC, the memories will be fond ones :-) Cheerz Wab

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cadbury tour closure

Sad news... but thank you very much for letting us know... we are planning to go to hobart next weekend...just missed it....><

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,810 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cadbury tour closure

Pity about that. I visited the factory when I was about 13yo on a school excursion and the again when I was 43, taking my wife & youngest son (then 12yo).

I guess sneaking a couple of chocs off the line as we passed was a bit of an OH&S issue when we were schoolkids (count your fingers on the way out). Security & safety were drematically better when we returned in '03. Glad I had the opportunity to take them there. If you're going past, certainly stop in at the factory shop. Their prices were really good. We purchased a 5kg box of "Favorites" seconds for about $22. They were either wrapped incorrectly or mis-shapen. Nothing wrong with the product.

Kyogle, Australia
Level Contributor
600 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cadbury tour closure

Though I have been to tassie on two previous occasions, and am returning in August, I admit that I have never had any great desire to this tour. Perhaps it was because of the temptations of all that chocolate, which I try to advoid. Anyway, my point of interest is that if the tour is no longer available, I wonder why local travel agents ( at least around our area-Northern NSW) still make mention of it being included on their various tours to Tassie? Do they offer different types of tours and only one major part has been axed or is it that Agents are not away of the recent facts?

Hobart
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cadbury tour closure

I think the factory tours have finished, but the visitor centre is still open www.cadbury.com.au/sites/cadbury/index.php…

It would be no surprise if people are still getting outdated information, when I did a Derwent River cruise a few years ago, the guide described an adventure park on top of the Domain, even though it had been closed at least 20 years previously (too many broken bones)

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cadbury tour closure

went on this tour in Feb 08 imo it was a waste of time (except for the Shop at end of tour to buy chocolates)most of the machinery was being washed down, so if you missed out dont worry its not the end of the world. There was a good winery (Moorilla) nearby lovely restuarant for lunch with a small museum attached which they are planning on expanding in future

Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cadbury tour closure

Hi everyone - just wondering if anyone had been to the visitor centre yet??? I'm wondering if it is interesting enough to justify the $5 entry (i love chocolate and went on the tour when i was a kid and loved it!) - or whether the cheap chocolate you can buy also justifies the entry fee??

Thanks

Hobart
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cadbury tour closure

The Cadbury Factory tour is closed but visitors are still able to visit the site, view a film, receive an informative talk from staff and most importantly purchase goodies from the retail outlet. To be perfectly honest, the actual factory tour had been so affected by health and safety issues that the new presentation is just as interesting, much cheaper and more available than previously.