We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Updated route plan

Lancs UK
Level Contributor
549 posts
250 reviews
Save Topic
Updated route plan

Hi I've had a rethink about our route,please can you have a look.

2 nights Hobart ( we arrive on a Saturday so will be able to see the market)

1 night Dover so we can visit Hastings,do the airwalk etc.

1 night Derwent Bridge

2 nights Strahan

2 nights Cradle Mt

2 nights Stanley

1 night Mole Creek

1 night Rosevears Winery ( instead of stoppig in Launceston)

1 night Binalong Bay

2 nights Coles Bay

1 night Port Arthur

1 night Richmond

Fly Sydney

Flight is at 1030 to Sydney,is Richmond close enough to travel to airport?

I will be in touch again with my detailed itinery!

I would really like 2 nights in Tamar Valley.Are there any of my 2 night stops I could comfortably cut down to 1 night?

Thanks to all for you help.

Kyogle, Australia
Level Contributor
600 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Updated route plan

Looks good. Depending what you are intending to do around Stanley, you could miss a night there. Richmond is only about 20mins from hobart, so yes it is worth a stay there. Lovely historic village. Very peaceful. You just have to allow plenty of time for arriving at airport, dropping off car and finalising paperwork etc, and then check in. We allowed 1 1/2 hrs just to be on the safe side.

Isn't it fun TRYING to plan a holiday in a land that you don't know. But this site is great for the feedback.

Cheers

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
196 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Updated route plan

jax11ard look forward to seeing your schedule to see how that may help us for our planned trip in January

ausnomad

Melbourne Aust
Level Contributor
158 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Updated route plan

Hi guys, Hobart is the most beautiful city in Australia and you may regret only two nights there.

Most people drive from Hobart to Strahan in one day (5 hr). You might consider replacing the night at Derwent Bridge with another night in Hobart. There's very little at Derwent Bridge! Hamilton would be a better option if you want a mid-way stop on the way to Strahan.

Alternatively, Dover to Strahan in one day is quite feasible - 7 hours driving tops.

I agree that you could cut Stanley back to one night and use that night to gain an extra in the Tamar.

The East Coast route is very good. Richmond is only 15 min from the airport.

Regards

L'il Al, ex-Taswegian

Lancs UK
Level Contributor
549 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Updated route plan

Hi thanks to all for your help.Will now cut Stanley down to one night and go for 2 in the Tamar Valley.Does the idea of staying one night in Dover look good or should I just have 3 nights in Hobart and drive down in a day trip to Hastings and the airwalk?

Perth
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Updated route plan

I think one night in the Tamar Valley is fine to experience the winery area. To travel from there to Binalong Bay is a long haul, quite a winding road, and you would not have time to see Launceston.

This is a beautiful town, very historic, and well worth a stop.

Unless you want to do some treking, one night in Coles Bay is enough, it's small. Swansea next door is pretty, and the drive down the coast is beautiful.

From Orford take a drive to Spring Beach and then onto Rheban; breathtaking. You may be able to drive through to Port Arthur this way.

Kyogle, Australia
Level Contributor
600 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Updated route plan

Hi Jax,

Three nights in Hobart would be Ok, to do the daily trips. But on our recent trip ( read my reports for day 4 & 5 for that area), we actually stayed at Dover one night, Lovely seaside place, after doing the airwalk, and the Hartz Mtns. From Dover we continued down to "The end of the Road" most southern point, Cockle Crk, then came back to the caves and back up to New Norfolk for the night. Depends if you want to double back to Hobart each Day from wherever you are visiting. Hastings Cave tours are for 1 hr cost $22.

Cheers

Lancs UK
Level Contributor
549 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Updated route plan

Fantastc advice again.Many thanks.

Tasmania
Level Contributor
37 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Updated route plan

You might like to try a slightly amended plan, so you don't miss out on the beautiful North East:

2 nights Hobart ( we arrive on a Saturday so will be able to see the market)

1 night Dover so we can visit Hastings,do the airwalk etc. - the airwalk is terrific!

2 nights Strahan

2 nights Cradle Mt (Magic!)

1 night Stanley

1 night Mole Creek to see the caves etc

1 night Rosevears Winery (instead of stopping in Launceston) Good choice

1 night Branxholm. back through LCN the via Lilydale & wineries to Branxholm - over night. Visit Chinese Heritage walk, Derby Tin Cantre, Ledgerwood carvings

On route: Myrtle forest, Pyengana (cafe & dairy), St Columba Falls, Anchor Stampers, Halls Falls (All signposted)

2 nights St Helens/Binnalong Bay area - visit the History room for travel advice, visit Blue Teirs. Lots to see in this area

2 nights Coles Bay

1 night Port Arthur

1 night Richmond

Fly Sydney

Lancs UK
Level Contributor
549 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Updated route plan

Hi all his help is fantastic and appreciated.I will be in touch soon with my plan.

10. Re: Updated route plan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 10:18