We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port Arthur's Gold Pass option

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Port Arthur's Gold Pass option

Hi, I have a question regarding the Port Arthur Gold Pass option. I see that the Gold Pass covers "everything." I only have 1 day, but I am interested in doing everything that the Gold Pass covers.

Here's what the Gold Pass offers per the Port Arthure website:

Access to more than thirty historic buildings, ruins and gardens

Introduction to Port Arthur walking tou

Isle of the Dead tour (incorporating a Harbour Cruise)

Point Puer tour

Audio tour

Lunch on-site at the Museum Coffee Shop or Port Café

Morning and afternoon tea

In order to do all these activities, how many hours do I need to allocate for my one day? Or, what time do I need to arrive, or what is a good time to arrive, to begin seeing/doing all the Gold Pass options, and about what time in the afternoon can I expect to complete my day?

The reason I request this information is because I only have the one day, I like the Gold Pass options, I'll be driving from Hobart, and I need to figure what time I need to depart Hobart, and about what time can I expect to be back at hobart.

Thank you.

Wineglass Bay Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Tours Tasmania
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
The Lady Nelson
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
711 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port Arthur's Gold Pass option

According to the Port Arthur website their opening hours are 8.30am to dusk. To make the most of your day I'd suggest you arrive by 8.30 but leave enough time at the end of the day to get back to Hobart before dark so as to avoid the risk of animals on the road. Enjoy!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,264 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Port Arthur's Gold Pass option

You would definitely need to get to Port Arthur by 8:30 am if you wanted any chance of doing all of the things that's covered by the Gold Pass, especially if you want to get back to Hobart before dark (which, like porge, I highly recommend you do). It will clearly take at least a full day to see and do everything covered by the Gold Pass and even then you might not see everything to the extent that you would like.

The difference between the Silver and Gold Passes are the extra trip (either Point Puer or Isle of the Dead) and the morning and afternoon teas. For this, they charge an extra $32. If it were me, I'd go for the Silver Pass, skip the teas (in order to have more time for touring), and pay for an extra tour (only $12) if I found I'd have the time for it.

Finally, the website says to allow 90 minutes to drive from Hobart to Port Arthur. That's a reasonable figure and it could take even longer if you stopped to see some of the neat geographical features, etc. along the way.

White Beach...
Destination Expert
for Tasmania
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Port Arthur's Gold Pass option

I totally agree with longhorn - you can cobmine any combination of these things separatley when you buy a ticket and trying to do all these will take a full day and it would be better to stay in the Port Arthur area if you intend to do that. Even if you miss the Point Puer and Isle of the Dead tours you will still really enjoy the day there . The site is large and there is a lot of walking around to do to see it all. The main entry ticket gives you the 45 minute tour, short trip on a boat around the harbour and all the time you want in the historic buildings.

If you absolutely have to go back to Hobart I would recommend missing the Isle of the Dead and Point Puer and spend the extra time visiting the gorgeous scenic areas around Pirates Bay, Devils Kitchen and Tasman Arch on the way back to Hobart.

4. Re: Port Arthur's Gold Pass option

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 03:15