We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what we did in Hobart!

Which Hobart hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
what we did in Hobart!

we (hubby and I) spent monday and most of tuesday in Hobart which was a real treat especially as the weather was pretty good. We stayed at Hotel Collins which was really good-spacious, comfortable and clean-and central.

We started monday with a brisk walk around the beautiful old houses at Battery Point then caught the 9.30am ferry to MONA which was stunning. Whatever you do, whether an art lover or not, this is a sensory experience that can't be missed. What a stunning gallery. Even better, you carry round a little Ipod type gadget which gives you info on all the art works and records whether you like them or hate them, then later you receive an e mail to remind you what you saw and what you liked, or didn't. Terrific!

We had a car so drove up to Mount Wellington that afternoon, a surprisingly long drive, and the view was absolutely stunning. Oh my gosh!

We had dinner at a lovely restaurant at Battery Point-I have forgotten the name, but there are many to choose from- and then wandered around the port, checking out the massive Antarctic supply ships.

Tuesday also began with a walk around Battery Point and we found a wonderful bakery/coffee shop maybe on Sandy Bay Road?

We then went to the Convict Factory next to Cascade Brewery. Now if you just poke your nose in you'll see some old ruins and move on but we went on a tour with a guide who brought the place alive for us and we were riveted. It is a wonderful site and was quite a highlight for us. After lunch back at our bakery we headed for the Botannical Gardens-gorgeous. The Antartic House was closed unfortunately but the ABC Gardens were full of life with film crews and Tino shooting for Gardening Australia-made my day!

And then, alas, we had to move on. So much left to see and do.

Thanks to everyone for great info on this forum and thanks especially to you, Luigi, for your advice. We didn't follow it all but...when it comes down to it , it's good to have time to just explore and get a feeling for a place rather than follow a tight schedule.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,623 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what we did in Hobart!

Great report thanks, OzzyGal. :)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,858 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what we did in Hobart!

Thanks for sharing ozzygal I enjoyed reading your TR. I'm also a big fan of Mona & think its a must do too !!

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
11,798 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what we did in Hobart!

Glad you enjoyed your stay ozzgal, and great TR

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,154 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what we did in Hobart!

I'm glad you had a lovely stay. Thanks for the TR.

kyogle, nsw
Level Contributor
600 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what we did in Hobart!

Thanks for your thoughts about your hobart stay. Yes, there is lots to see around the place. We visited MONA a month ago- certainly a different tn type of exhibit-varied and interesting. Loved the building construction itself, being dug 4 floors-down.

Cheers

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what we did in Hobart!

Another vote from me for MONA. I was awestruck by the building, the art, the interactive technology and by David Walsh's philosophy. Can't wait to go back.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,623 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what we did in Hobart!

Welcome back to the forums, SydneyStephen. We've all missed you. :))

MONA is grand, isn't it? Maybe it'll put Hobart on the routine "City, Reef, Rock" tourist circuit.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,716 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what we did in Hobart!

EM,

Where did you stay in Hobart?

Curious cos i can;t find any reviews which is unusual for you...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what we did in Hobart!

Luigi, Thanks! We'll see how long it takes before I get a complete bollocking again for giving a few leftfield ideas and opinions and saunter off with my tail between my legs ;-)

10. Re: what we did in Hobart!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 00:16