We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vet My 8-Day Tasmania Itinerary Please?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
85 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Vet My 8-Day Tasmania Itinerary Please?

Hi! We (6 people, all young adults) will be visiting Tasmania this April, and have come up with the following itinerary. Can someone please vet it and comment if its feasible? Thanks in advance!

Day 1 - Arrive at Launceston Airport from Sydney (via Jetstar) at 0845hr. Rent a car. Visit the Cataract Gorge, head up to Narawntapu NP in the afternoon, head down to Devonport for the night.

Day 2 - Drive to Cradle Mountain, hike the 3-hr Dove Lake Circuit, , head to Rosebury. Hike to Montezuma Falls (3 hrs - or can shift this to the next day too), then sleep there or at Tullah for the night.

Day 3 - Visit the Spray Tunnel and Dr Frankenstein’s Museum of Monsters in Zeehan. Sandboard at Henty Dunes. Head down to Strahan, kayak hire here. Drive back west to Ocean Beach for sunset. Spend the night at Strahan.

Day 4 - Head down to Queenstown, then continue to Russell Falls. Walk a little there, then head down to Mt Wellington for more hiking. Drive to Hobart, and chill around Salamanca Place and Battery Point. Visit Hobart sights like Cascade Brewery, the Botanical Gardens, Penitentiary Chapel and MONA (leaving those without sufficient time for the next day). Night at Hobart.

Day 5 - Visit the leftover Hobart sights (there should be quite a lot), then head down to Bonorong Wildlife Life. Stay somewhere around there, or in Hobart itself.

Day 6 - Drive up to Swansea, then to Freycinet NP. Hike to Wineglass Bay, can probably do a bit of canoeing here. Drive up to Bicheno for the blowhole. Continue up to St Mary's, Scamander, and finally St Helen's for the night.

Day 7 - Head up to the Bay of Fires and chill around the area. Can also do some water sports that we may have left out due to the tight schedule. Night at St Helen's.

Day 8 - Head to Pyengana for the dairy company, and also to St Columba Falls and Ralphs Falls. Return the car at Launceston to get the 1815hrs flight and bid a sad farewell to Tasmania. :( Stay the night at Sydney

Day 9 - Get the flight back to Singapore.

Understand that we left out Bruny Island and Port Arthur, but I simply can't see any other way to incorporate them in! Advice anyone? Also, there shldn't be a problem with the Jetstar flight to the extent of us potentially missing our international flight the next morning will it?

Thanks in advance, appreciate it! ;)

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,720 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vet My 8-Day Tasmania Itinerary Please?

It's a very full schedule with a lot of driving and I suspect you have not yet calculated the driving times between places. Use a website like www.whereis.com and use the Get Directions buttons to calculate driving times.

As an example, Day 4 is certainly impossible as you have allowed no time for the five hours driving time from Strahan to Hobart, plus two more for the detour via Russel Falls.

While you may manage to see Russel Falls on the way, you will not have time to do any of the things planned in Hobart that day and all of them will have to be the next day.

And you must not miss the Wall in the Wilderness at Derwent Bridge on the way from Strahan.

You could probably buy a good map off the internet between now and then to help with detailed planning of times too.

Luigi

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,364 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vet My 8-Day Tasmania Itinerary Please?

Hi Star,

Yep, a very busy itinerary, IMO and as already stated by Luigi, too busy really, especially on Days 2, 4, 5 & 7..

Day 1, is very relaxed.

Day 2, very busy, and you might as well drive to Zeehan and stay the night.

Day 3, is very relaxed and different.

Day 4, agree after driving and visiting Russell Falls, you might fit in Mt Wellington, but the rest you'll have to some how fit in the next day.

Day 5, whatever you didn't do on Day 5, which is a lot of things, you will have to prioritise for this day.

Day 6, busy day, a lot of driving but not impossible, and personally I wouldn't bother detouring up to St Marys.

Day 7, very relaxed.

Day 8, relaxed and OK.

You really do need to get a good map, use the link Luigi has supplied to measure driving times and distances, look at those travelling times for the course you've set, think about how long you intend to stay at each place of interest, then set your itinerary.

Also when in April are you flying in? In the middle of April is a very large road touring/racing event call Targa Tasmania, many roads will be closed during the event which could cause you major delays if you are travelling around the event dates, see link below for touring dates and time -

targa.com.au/tc/page_standard.asp…

Hope this helps.

Safe travels - Robert

Edited: 03 February 2013, 22:03
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,068 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vet My 8-Day Tasmania Itinerary Please?

Sounded busy to me, though I left it to the locals to comment as I'm not that familiar with all parts of the island, but yeah, very busy. Just want to emphasise, as suggested get yourselves a map to do the planning AND allow for things like the roads are often quite winding and for example at Cradle Mountain there's a very low speed limit to the Dove Lake car park, please observe it (don't tailgate the people in front just because your schedule is too rushed like the carload of young overseas visitors who did it to us) and at Cradle Mountain and indeed on all the country roads watch out for animals.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,720 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vet My 8-Day Tasmania Itinerary Please?

There's now a boom gate and quite often (mostly in summer), vehicle access to Dove Lake is closed to cars. You have no option but to use the shuttle bus. IMO, it's best to plan to use the shuttle from the Transit Centre via the Visitor Centre to Dove Lake.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,068 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vet My 8-Day Tasmania Itinerary Please?

Thanks Luigi. That's probably a sensible idea. How does the "quite often" work? I remember a boom gate when we were there but we made the trip a few times over a number of days and it was always open. We weren't there in peak season though, and even then sometimes the car park was just about full.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,364 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vet My 8-Day Tasmania Itinerary Please?

Luigi & MacKnee all the seasons are becoming very popular, especially winter & spring. We took a relative up after some mid week snow falls last September, everybody else seem to have the same idea, both car parks were near full and they closed the boom gate, shuttle bus was the only way in.

Edited: 04 February 2013, 01:57
Queensland...
Level Contributor
405 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vet My 8-Day Tasmania Itinerary Please?

Admittedly we were there in peak season, early January, but unless you went before about 9 or after about 4 or 5, the boom gate always seemed to be closed (even though the car park at Dove Lake seemed half empty). Was worth staying overnight so that we could gt in after the masses had left and enjoy the place. I was quite shocked at the number of people in the park. We had to queue for quite a while even to get on a bus. I think a large % of tourists were just getting on the bus and touring the park without doing any walks, or even getting off in some cases. On the actual walk at Dove Lake there weren't that many people.

Still a wonderful place, but being shuttled around with a mass of tourists does take a little gloss off for me.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,068 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vet My 8-Day Tasmania Itinerary Please?

>>We had to queue for quite a while even to get on a bus. I think a large % of tourists were just getting on the bus and touring the park without doing any walks, or even getting off in some cases. On the actual walk at Dove Lake there weren't that many people. Still a wonderful place, but being shuttled around with a mass of tourists does take a little gloss off for me.<<

The OP seems to have a definite though ambitious wish list which specifically includes Tassie's natural attractions and that's okay. But I kinda wish *some* tourists would leave out Cradle Mountain. It's a long way to go, especially during a Hobart-centric short holiday, to reach a place that is probably more isolated than some of them anticipate, just to take a photo of a mountain and tick another perceived 'must-do' off the list. I'm not putting down Cradle Mountain but It's not a theme-park mountain, it's a delicate natural environment, and if doing a little walking around and appreciating the wildlife isn't part of the experience the visitors are after I don't know why they even bother, and in doing so make it more crowded and unpleasant for the rest of us. Not even getting off the bus? That's sad. Is it possible they didn't speak English and didn't understand they could get off, or that they could get a seat back on the next bus or something, sort of a 'we've paid our money and we'll just sit until someone tells us otherwise' type misunderstanding? I mean even the tailgaters we encountered got out to take some photos.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,720 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vet My 8-Day Tasmania Itinerary Please?

I agree about the impracticality of visiting Cradle during a Hobart-centric holiday, MacKnee. But many, many people want to do it.

Maybe they're the people staying on the shuttle. They're so buggered after the five hour drive that they are nearly comatose on the shuttlebus. And then they have to drive back to Hobart. :)

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,068 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vet My 8-Day Tasmania Itinerary Please?

Yup, maybe that's it.

Btw I didn't mean to imply that the OP's itinerary is okay, just that it is okay to have a desire to see all of Tassie's natural beauty. I still think this itinerary is ambitious and busy. But some people don't even seem to have any particular interest in nature or bushwalking or the outdoors or anything like that at all, and still want to expend a fair bit of effort just for a quick tick, been there done that.

(Edit: Heehee, what are the chances, just as I pressed submit, that yellow Pages TICK ad came on.)

Edited: 04 February 2013, 07:21